Cut Paw Pad

wuffles

My little one cut her paw pad this morning, we think it was on some glass as we were staying at a B&B last night. It bled at first but stopped quite quickly. I've cleaned it in some warm salty water and applied some antiseptic. She isn't limping but doesn't look like she wants to put pressure on it either. I tried putting a sock on but it was removed rather quickly :laugh: She's happily snoozing and wandering around the house, doesn't seem to be too bothered.

Is this the right way to go about it? Do you think it needs vet attention? I'm hoping the little flap will dry and fall off... I'll try keep her off it as much as possible, but she's a one year old Aussie so that's going to be easier said than done!

post-24815-1294386499_thumb.jpg

raz had a cut paw, like the top layer had come off and it looked red raw, i put betadine on it (he didnt like that) and i taped some gauze on, it lasted maybe 4 hours, after that i just left it, and kept it clean and it healed in its own time :laugh: the foot is a hard area to look after

I took her to the vet this morning because it was very flappy but I was too scared to pull the flap off :laugh: So the flap has now gone and it's been bandaged for a few days. She's hanging out for a walk though!

I took her to the vet this morning because it was very flappy but I was too scared to pull the flap off :laugh: So the flap has now gone and it's been bandaged for a few days. She's hanging out for a walk though!

Flappy make me shudder :laugh:

Hoping everything heals well!

The bandage is no more :D OH decided that while I went to do the grocery shopping, he would stick his headphones on and leave her unattended. I found the remnants of bandage under the bed :)

Dogs huh

The bandage is no more :D OH decided that while I went to do the grocery shopping, he would stick his headphones on and leave her unattended. I found the remnants of bandage under the bed :)

Dogs huh

Yes... dogs... they're the ones that can't be trusted... :D

If you smother the pad with Vaseline ( petroleum jelly) it will give fantastic protection while the pad heals, however you need some confinement to stop dirt and grit getting into it and from the Vaseline leaving slighty greasy areas everywhere. Perhaps bandage to keep it covered.

Have seen this work over and over again, however all the dogs have been in confinement.

Here is a pic of what the cut looks like now:

post-24815-1294567260_thumb.jpg

It looks a little funky because I'd just applied some antiseptic powder but otherwise I think it's healing nicely. Three days with no exercise now, she has been very good but going a bit nutty. Have done a bit of training. Tomorrow morning I am hoping to head to the local oval with nice green grass so that she can at least get out of the house, poor bub.

My little one cut her paw pad this morning, we think it was on some glass as we were staying at a B&B last night. It bled at first but stopped quite quickly. I've cleaned it in some warm salty water and applied some antiseptic. She isn't limping but doesn't look like she wants to put pressure on it either. I tried putting a sock on but it was removed rather quickly :heart: She's happily snoozing and wandering around the house, doesn't seem to be too bothered.

Is this the right way to go about it? Do you think it needs vet attention? I'm hoping the little flap will dry and fall off... I'll try keep her off it as much as possible, but she's a one year old Aussie so that's going to be easier said than done!

When my BC cut her paw we put a baby sock on over the bandage and taped around the top, (not too tight). This helped keep the bandage on and clean. Her paw was quite a bit worse than yours, but they heal really quick:)

My little one cut her paw pad this morning, we think it was on some glass as we were staying at a B&B last night. It bled at first but stopped quite quickly. I've cleaned it in some warm salty water and applied some antiseptic. She isn't limping but doesn't look like she wants to put pressure on it either. I tried putting a sock on but it was removed rather quickly :coffee: She's happily snoozing and wandering around the house, doesn't seem to be too bothered.

When my BC cut her paw we put a baby sock on over the bandage and taped around the top, (not too tight). This helped keep the bandage on and clean. Her paw was quite a bit worse than yours, but they heal really quick:)

I found the sock idea with the taping also around the top brilliant, when my dog had a cancerous tumour on his paw and I wanted to keep it clean he was never able to remove it. I went through many socks and tape.

I have dug up this thread because I walked inside the house today and found blood over the floor, carpet and walls - one of the kids has sliced her front paw pad.

So what did everybody decide was the beat course of action - to cover or leave uncovered (I think the cut is too deep to leave uncovered for at least a couple of days and if I did walking on the grass would be very uncomfortable). I have peroxided it and applied antiseptic and 4 hours down the track the vet wrap is still in place.

I will check it out again later this arvo.