Poodle Clippers

Hi, can anyone recommend a set of Poodle clippers for use at home?

My friend has a elderly mini and as he's getting older (he's 15) he's getting a bit narky with groomers, He bit the groomer yesterday :laugh:

Friends OH can do anything with him so thought he might try keeping him clipped himself.

A store in the Canberra area or online would be OK too.

thanks

I like the km 2 speed for my poodles...purchased online at clipperworld.com.au Agreed though the ceramic blades on the Andis are effectively cool, I use metal blades but have many so can change frequently. Im sure they will stock a variety of clippers for you to browse & decide upon.

I wouldn;t bother with the Wahls.

If he's biting the groomer, there's every chance he'll bite the owner too. The groomer will start with the face and can then pop a muzzle on him for any spots where he's become touchy in his old age.

Depending on how he's clipped off now, the owner might want to opt for a shorter, no fuss, no brush cut, this is generally what we do with older dogs. They spend less time with us and on the table.

I home groom my poodles and use the Andis Pro 2 speed. You will need a few blades too. What colour is the poodle?

Clipperworld (check the DOL banners) is a good place to shop.

I don't think there's such a thing as "bargain" clippers. Generally you get what you pay for. Buy a good set and they'll last for years. The "pet grooming" cheaper ones are rubbish.

Frankly with the older dogs, a fairly short all over clip might be the go. Something like a 4# blade. If your friend has no experience grooming a dog, I'd invest in a copy of Shirley Kalstone's grooming book too. It has a lot of useful tips on how to position the clippers and the dog.

Edited by poodlefan