Training Our Pup

Lja1302

We have a 10 week old BC and he answers to his name, sits on command (and off command with a "do i get a treat for this" look lol) but we are trying to teach him stay and I'm just not sure on how to go about it?

I can take one step away but then he just runs towards me and sits again lol. Any ideas?

Treat him before he moves, then extend it to a 1 second stay then treat, then after he gets the idea of staying in a sit & getting rewarded for it, then gradually add some distance, stepping back & treating him, before he moves off the spot. Don't increase the distance until you have him at least 80% proofed on the step before. He's a BC, right, so it wont take long for him to catch on to what the game is all about...good luck. Make sure you don't treat him for moving off the spot & always go back to him to treat & release.

Hi Lja1302!! I just finished looking at your post for my pup sleeping outside, looks like we're almost at the same place with our border pups. (mine is just on 9 weeks).

The advice from sheena is spot on, it's how I got my other border to sit with distance. I just worked on Duration, Distance and Distraction (in that order) and now she can sit and let me walk to her kibble box, get her food ready and put it on the ground and then still not go for it until I say 'ok'!

Ziggy can just sit for a second looking cute :D

And good on you for teaching your BC his name! I still haven't managed that with Zig, she just looks at me like I'm crazy... Then she tries sitting! :thumbsup:

We have a 10 week old BC and he answers to his name, sits on command (and off command with a "do i get a treat for this" look lol) but we are trying to teach him stay and I'm just not sure on how to go about it?

I can take one step away but then he just runs towards me and sits again lol. Any ideas?

Try starting with puppy sitting at your (left) side then swing around stepping out directly in front and facing him as you give the command - so you are effectively blocking the puppy from moving forward. If he stays put then mark immediately and reward, build it up gradually to add more time.

Next step is to step in front and then back again (returning to your dogs side). Mark and reward if he holds the position. Gradually extend the time before returning to him, then the distance, then the distraction level. A long line is helpful for adding distance to stays in the beginning too :love:

*edited for clarity

Edited by SecretKei

i would start with the dog on your left hand side in a heel position (whether your pup is in a sit, down or stand doesn't really matter) and a nice treat in your right hand between your fingers.

pass your right hand over your body place your palm facing your dog's nose.

hold your hand(be conscience not to move your hand and only your body) there while your pup trys to lick at your treat he should be too distracted to watch your body move and do a rocking motion back and forth.

Do that multiple time then advance into taking a step nfront of your pups face while keeping your palm facing your pup as a stay signal.. you could be moving too fast for your pup aswell as 10 weeks is still very young.

Try starting with puppy sitting at your (left) side then swing around stepping out directly in front and facing him as you give the command - so you are effectively blocking the puppy from moving forward. If he stays put then mark immediately and reward, build it up gradually to add more time.

Next step is to step in front and then back again (returning to your dogs side). Mark and reward if he holds the position. Gradually extend the time before returning to him, then the distance, then the distraction level. A long line is helpful for adding distance to stays in the beginning too :(

*edited for clarity

Ding ding! Exactly the method i used with Jager.

I found that when we started adding some distance that to stay facing him was best. So for example once you have got them staying while you step in front of them, take an extra step backward then forwards then back to their side. Increase the steps backwards until you have a good few feet then we started training with our backs to him only a step in front of him.

We found that once we started turning our back to him, he would try to follow as he thought we were leaving.

My BC boy is just 4.5 months and stays like a good thing using the "treat for short durations, gradually extend the time" method.

We just started obedience classes, and they recommend to use the command for "wait" when you want them to "come" to you at the end. You use "stay" when you want them to remain in position until you release them.

I think stay is the hardest command, as they just can't stand to be away from you!

Your Oliver is beautiful!

Christie

I think Oliver ( who by the way is just gorgeous) & yourself are doing sooooo well. :crossfingers: At 10 weeks old. He is just a baby & 'the stay' is I would think the most boring thing in the world for him to do. I didn't expect 'Sonny' to do more than sit & down at 10 week's. I started teaching Sonny to 'wait' at doorways & gates & at the car door & gradually extended that time at about 13 weeks. Then I gradually taught him stay a while after that using the method's already discussed by everyone. Just got to watch & don't reward any movement off the mark, I did that a few times, my mistake, & sometimes even now Sonny will start to wander off. Totally agree with Flash30 Aus, Borders just don't want to be away from you. I used to get 'told off' all the time in group class by the trainer cause she said Sonny was too 'clingy' with me. Would not let me out of site, & still, even with maturity doesn't like it. Good luck with your beautiful Oliver. :thumbsup:

I usually begin by teaching a new pup to wait for it's dinner. I hold my left hand in front of their chest as I put the food bowl down saying 'wait'. After a couple of seconds I remove my hand & give a cue to eat. It doesn't take long to be able to put the bowl down without having my hand in front, only using it as a brief stay/wait signal. After a few days they will wait until I give the command to eat.

When teaching a more formal stay I would begin in front of the pup, give the stay cue & hand signal, wait 2-3 seconds then treat & praise on the spot. After the pup gets the idea of what you want you can increase the time from 2-10 seconds at a time. If they are still staying you can start to take a single step away from pup. Repeat as above before adding more steps. If at any time he breaks before release you've moved too fast & go back a step.

Always return to your dog when doing stays. I tell new members that 'stay' means stay until I return & release you & 'wait' means you will be doing something else like recall, permission to eat, getting in & out of the car.

Edited by luvsdogs

Don't forget to teach stand as well. It is the hardest command so should be taught first. My babies learn stand, then stay, watch, come, heel, drop, sit, wait in that order. Always do at least one stand to every sit and practice stay in all three positions, including drop. It makes them realise that stay means don't move, as opposed to sit still. A BC puppy will be able to understand all these commands by 12 weeks. Don't expect perfect obedience to the commands at that age but the puppy should have worked out what they mean.