What Did You Do That Helped....

happypaws

My girl was sick last year coughing, then she was treated for kennel cough, didnt improve so xrays were done, the results were the worst, we were given no option but she would have to be pts.

We spent the next couple of days doing things with her she hadn't experienced before, going to the beach, eating a ice cream, we spend all our time with her.

My husband bought a video camera so we could have her on tape.

I took more photos so i could put together a special photo album of her.

The day we put her to sleep was shocking, i was a mess, we bought her home and buried her together, so heartbreaking. I will be planting a tree for her memory.

I took me a little while to pack away her crate and toys, as for me i didnt want it to seem like she didnt exsist.

I found it hard when people would ask me where she was/what happened, i would choke up and couldnt talk.

Hugs to you :hug:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing that helped me accept my Kiris passing, and it might already be too late for you, is that I didn't bury her straight away. I had the vet come out and put her down at home and I just kept her on the bed with me. I actually put her under the doona that night and slept with her body. I know it sounds strange but we all deal with things differently. Whenever I woke up I would cry and cuddle her but she got colder and harder and it helped me to accept that "she" was gone and all that was left was her mortal remains. I still grieved terribly and 12 years later I still think about her alot, but for me keeping her like that did help me.

:confused::laugh: I wasn't prepared for how devastated I am :D

Nor was I when I had to make the greatest sacrifice, so I know what you mean.

For those that have lost 4 paws that were dear to them , what did you do that helped . Any helpful advice appreciated.

Cry. Grieve. Give yourself time to wallow, to remember, to hurt. And then you need to do what Jordan did. You need to rally.

Your wounded heart is so very very raw right now. It hurts like nothing else. Although the hurt won't go away, with time it will get softer and it won't be as hard to bear. I promise.

RIP Jordan :confused: .

Erny , you are so right ... especially "Cry. Grieve. Give yourself time to wallow, to remember, to hurt. And then you need to do what Jordan did. You need to rally."

Thank you , I feel some comfort that others have gone through the same thing .

:confused: Hugs to you at this time, happypaws. It never gets easier.

We lost our beautiful girl early last year (the anniversary is coming up...can't believe it's been that long) and she was our first dog. Coping has not been easy, especially since you notice really their absence. Our 3 other dogs were confused, and nothing made sense until we got our 5th dog, a Bichon who is the spitting image of her.

What helped initially was NOT keeping any photos or videos of her laying around the house or computer. That was easier said than done as I had photos of her everywhere. I put everything in a box or folder until I was ready and that can take months. Do the same with the collar, bed, food bowls etc. Pretty much until the grieving period is over I would not be looking at memories or significant things. Of course, that can be cathartic for some people but it just made things that much more real for me and my family.

When you're ready, visit the good times. That is the best way to keep them alive in your heart.

Its true they stay alive in your memory ... Thanks Hanna

Getting a puppy sure helped. Fills that hole and gave me something else to think about.

We held a wake of sorts for her. We went to a chocolate cafe with those who loved her and drank Spanish hot chocolates to her name. I found it to be very helpful to spend time grieving with loved ones.

Corvus .. over the weekend I am going to have chocolate pizza with my sis ... she recently ( 4mths ago ) lost her paws .. but hers was a surprise heart problem . I think i am having so much trouble with this as I knew it was comming and thought I would be able to handle it more easy .

On Friday, it will be 12 months since we lost our 19 year old Dachshund, a week before her 20th birthday. I miss her everyday. Her bed is still where she slept on it, the other dogs don't use it. I don't think I will ever stop missing her.

you gave such a good life to your Dachshund for 19 well 20 years , thats something to be proud of

:confused: I'm so sorry. It's the worst feeling.

I lost my heart dog Button Powerlegs. My world just stopped that day. But she is still here, I wear a locket with a photo of her inside and the garden out the front of my house is 'Button's Garden' with plants especially for her.

And I do have a purse size photo album. With all my most loved people and critters past and present. It helps on a bad day.

:confused:

What a beautiful photo of Button .. i have decided to bring jordan home and plant a tree / plant in his memory

It's been 6 years since my heart dog Woosie crossed to the Bridge... and I still cry for her every time I read about someone else's pain over sending their best friend there too.

The pain of your loss doesn't heal, but you learn to live with it a bit easier over time...

I was a complete mess for quite a while after Woosie passed, and still lose it when I think or talk about her. You need to grieve in your own way - and bugger what anyone else might say about it. If you want to go and scream at the sky, do it... if you want to curl up in a ball and wallow in your pain, do it. I used to sit on my back step with one or more of my other dogs and just howl like a dog... it helped me cope... and I don't care what the neighbours thought about it...

A piece of your soul leaves with such a dog - but you must also believe that they are also very much alive in your heart. Remember your friend well and know that they will be waiting for you to join them at the Bridge when your time comes...

T.

Ohh tdierikx .... :confused:

Thank you so much to all who have posted ... it does help , it has given me ideas , a memory box , a tree ...

but it also has let me know that i am not alone in what i feel ... I thought I would take it better as I knew it was comming . But this is just not how it is ... every one who has put their story and kind words has helped , thank you all :)

I am really really going to miss my boy :thumbsup: . Tomorrow I will bring him home to his special spot , and will get a plant for him .

I still shed a few tears every day for my loely Amber who went to the Bridge in 2004. I found getting another rescue dog who needed a lot of help very quickly kept me busy and helped fill the hole next to my knee. I pay the full costs of rescuing a koolie and getting it ready for adoption each year in Amber's memory and I will do the same for Perry when it is her turn.