Kennel Cough

Kirty

My new foster has a nasty case of Kennel Cough. He has thick, mucousy discharge from his nose and he is coughing a lot. The vet has prescribed ABs and I've got some Benedryl, but is there anything else I can do to make him feel more comfortable? Or any home remedies to help with the coughing? He is warm and resting, but I feel so sorry for him. :thumbsup:

My new foster has a nasty case of Kennel Cough. He has thick, mucousy discharge from his nose and he is coughing a lot. The vet has prescribed ABs and I've got some Benedryl, but is there anything else I can do to make him feel more comfortable? Or any home remedies to help with the coughing? He is warm and resting, but I feel so sorry for him. :thumbsup:

Kirty my guy had the same thing. I was quite worried because like your guy he was underweight and not in very good health. He quickly appeared to be develop quite a nasty chest infection and was coughing up thick brownish coloured mucous by day two. My vet put him on doxycycline 100mg twice a day initially tapered down to one atm. (Just to make sure it doesn't come back)

I also add 1/2 tbsp manuka honey 25+ to each of his meals which seemed to help a bit.

It still took a few days, but the coughing and discharge has stopped completely.

Although the poor little guy still has to stay in quarantine for another three weeks due to possible mites! Will confirm with a skin scrape tomorrow.

Hope your guy is well otherwise.

Yep - i gave my dogs a spoonful of honey in the morning, and at night (they licked it off the spoon..), it seemed to ease the coughing a bit - i think it soothes the throat. It was just honey from the supermarket, but a good quality one.