What Was The Lastest Your Bitch Started To Show

BittyMooPeeb

I have a bitch here who was mated, and if pregnant, would be 7 weeks this coming weekend. She doesn't look pregnant at all (although she is a bit thicker around the waist than she was 6 weeks ago, but that could be because I have been feeding her favourite foods). So this got me thinking, has anyone had bitches who were pregnant, but hid it until well into the pregnancy, and if so, when did they start to show?

Gail

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

I always ultrasound at 28 days and then xray at 8 weeks....

So far so good (5 litters)

oops to answer the question - mine usually show a thickening at 6 weeks and suddenly at 8 weeks - if they were on the beach - Harpoons would be a flying....

LOL :love:

Edited by Hotwyr

Thanks everyone.

I will be interesting to see if my girl suddenly blows up with one week to go. She has been very sooky for the past 6 weeks, and more sedate than normal, but no sign of pups!

What does the term 'carried them high up' mean? Wouldnt their internal organs be squished if the pups were not low in the abdoment (and bulging out the sides!)

We have a GSD that we decided was not having puppies, the day she was due.

No teets, no milk, no belly at all, couldn't feel anything, no change in moods etc - figured absolutely no puppies!!

Popped out 7 HUGE puppies that night!!

With her litters since she has always shown and looked like a beached whale by 8 weeks!

No teets, no milk, no belly at all, couldn't feel anything, no change in moods etc - figured absolutely no puppies!!

With her litters since she has always shown and looked like a beached whale by 8 weeks!

Thanks ozmalinois.

Where are the puppies located in cases when they cant be seen or felt? I cant imagine where there would be room for them!

Thanks ozmalinois.

Where are the puppies located in cases when they cant be seen or felt? I cant imagine where there would be room for them!

Schipperkes traditionally carry their babies up very high (up under the kidneys) and it can be difficult to work out if they are indeed in whelp. We usually ultrasound at 5 weeks and then x-ray at 8 weeks to make sure there won't be any problem with the birth, e.g head too big for the birth canal and things like that. When the schipp was in whelp with her first litter, we told the vet we wanted an ultrasound at 5 weeks. She insisted on doing an x-ray which showed nothing. She agreed to do another x-ray the following week (at no charge) even though we insisted again on an ultrasound. The x-ray once again showed no puppies and she then decided that the bitch had pyometra and gave her a large dose of oxytocin. This caused the mother to abort the puppies that she was not in whelp with :rofl: In case anybody is wondering, yes we have changed vets!!!

We knew that Peaches (Havanese) was actually in whelp at about 3 weeks as one of the Schipperkes just sat there and continually barked at her, she obviously sensed that something was different. We seem to be very lucky here. I have a boy who will tell us exactly when it is the right time mate a bitch, he isn't interested until that time and a Schipperke that tells us when a bitch is in whelp :rofl:

Good Luck with Elle, Gail

Edited by Havasneeze

Thanks everyone.

I will be interesting to see if my girl suddenly blows up with one week to go. She has been very sooky for the past 6 weeks, and more sedate than normal, but no sign of pups!

What does the term 'carried them high up' mean? Wouldnt their internal organs be squished if the pups were not low in the abdoment (and bulging out the sides!)

My bitches seem to carry their pups up under the rib cage (Standards should have very broad chests) and the pups would drop down a day or so before whelping.

Years ago we had a setter that we had no idea she was even mated. The there were three rather fat puppies in her kennel one morning. We were all shocked because there was no nesting behaviour, no belly, no swollen mammary glands, nothing.