How Soon To Exercise Before / After Food?

Sticks1977

I did a search for this topic but did not find anything specific so I'm hopeful some of the people here at DOL are able to assist...

How soon before or after food can I exercise my dog? Henry is just over 1 year old and I gave him a dried pig's ear to eat as I arrived home from food shopping for the week. I have forgotten a few things from the shopping list so I would like to take him for a 20 minute walk (10 mins each way) back down to the supermarket to grab the additional supplies.

Is the rule much like humans that we can't swim for 1 hour after a meal? Also does the amount of food consumed have a bearing on the amount of time after the meal until exercise? (for example, eating a pig's ear versus having his afternoon meal).

Thanks for reading and look forward to some replies, I'm itchin' to get out there and give Henry his daily walk :o

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

I exercise my large breeds before they get fed, but they only get enough exercise to get toileted.

They then get put away for a short time, then fed, then not exercised until at least an hour after. And even then it is only light exercise until later.

I dont give my furkids pigs ears anyway so I am probably not much help :o

Guest english.ivy

I'm about 45 minutes to an hour between exercise and meal times.

If I feed mine early and then go for a walk, I make sure it's an hour till we go walkies.

Both my two belch after meals :) Ivy has quite a proud look on her gorgeous face after belching.

Do you have a breed prone to bloat?

As owner of bloat prone breeder I would never exercise at least an hour either side of a meal where that exercise involves running aroung etc. I will feed after a short 10 min walk around the block on lead though.

My dogs are fed raw - I was told it takes approximately 4 to 6 hours for the food to be processed fully - so it is at least 2 hrs after feeding before I consider exercising them.

I usually exercise them prior to feeding - so I normally wait until their breathing has returned to "normal" for at least 30 minutes before I consider feeding them.

I have always gone by this rule. If you exercise before feeding then you wait 1 hour. If you exercise after feeding then it is 2 hours or more. I have always gone by this rule and not had a problem so far.

As above.

A pigs ear isn't really a meal though and a 10 min walk to the shops isn't exactly vigorous exercise.

I allow a gap of 1 hr or more before feeding a meal and the same after exercise. The kennel my dog goes to feeds one meal around 4:30pm (after a day of exercise and "relaxation time" 1 hr prior to feeding) and no exercise after that to avoid bloat.

If you are are worried about GDV or bloat you need to take care in when & how you feed.

I have had 2 bitches that have had 3 episodes of bloat & survived, and I take all care.....but this terrible condition just happens. But my breed is predisposed to it (std poodles)

I always feed in the morning when the dogs are calm & never, ever give any food after midday, no bones or dry food...nothing! They get walked or exercised in the afternoon.

This is just my thing I do.....as I want all food to have had a chance to digest before I go to bed & after hours emegency fees apply at vet hospitals.

Most GDV's do occur after hours in the middle of the night.

"Stressy" or nervous individuals of those breeds predisposed to bloating are also more likely to bloat as are older animals. The is also thought to be a genetic link.

My 2 were mother & daughter......and they both suffered GDV when they were 8 & 9years.

Edited by Poodle Mum

I have always gone by this rule. If you exercise before feeding then you wait 1 hour. If you exercise after feeding then it is 2 hours or more. I have always gone by this rule and not had a problem so far.

I do this as well. Less strict now I have Whippets instead of Dobes.

A lead walk after a pigs ear I wouldn't imagine is a huge issue though. I wouldn't do rough and tumble off lead hooning though.