Fly Spray Advice

koalathebear

We haven't had a problem with the house flies for a couple of years now, haven't had to use fly vales on the horses. But the flies that bite is another matter and they don't seem to be attracted to the fly traps. They attack two of the dogs but not the other two and they are all running together.

I've got exactly the same issue Stormie, wonder where you are?

We're in Pennant Hills. I don't have any where near the fly problem at my house (Riverstone) that we have here in PH at the moment.

I think there was a topic started recently about how bad the flies have been in this area this summer.

What sucks is Orbit seems to react to the repellents so far :thumbsup:

I think this is the worst fly season I can remember and I have been in this house with 3 dogs for nearly 20 years. I guess the wet/hot/wet combination is the trouble. I do nearly everything that everyone else has posted and it is still awful. Evil swarming buzzing beasts.

Someone posted something in another thread awhile ago about a spray that knocked them on the head but I haven't been able to find it again.

The outside RAID works really well but costs a fortune - $15 for 10 hours per refill. so I do have them - just use them sparingly. The inside ones last much longer and I have them on most of the time.

megan_: The poos are extremely solid but the flies still seem to know where the dogs have gone. I might have to try hosing down the area every morning or something. Even really early in the morning when it's still quite cool, there are a lot of flies around so it's quite frustrating.

We spray all around the house and patio areas with Coopex about twice a year , you buy it in a sachet in Bunnings and mix with water . When son does poo patrol he has to hose down the grass and if there is anything on paved areas from foster pups that gets sprayed with lavender kitchen cleaning spray then thoroughly hosed off . Can you get venus fly trap plants here ?

• 2 weeks later...
Permoxin is a fly spray and also keeps fleas and ticks away. You can also use it straight on the dogs. If you google plants that keep flys away there are a couple and id plant them in Poo Corner.

Yup, we Permoxin the dogs daily and we spray the whole garden weekly.

IMO fly traps attract flies that may have not been in your garden if it weren't for the stinky traps!

Be grateful your dogs have a pooh corner, ours pooh an all and any park of the lawn. Grubs :laugh: At least Trixie has the decency to do the majority of her poohs on our walks. She's even learned to pooh in the gutter if we're on the main street :laugh:

um, how solid are the number 2's? My dogs have very solid poos and so there isn't much residue?

That was my thought - I have 6 large dogs and they do their's all over the yard especially the 2 old girls just squat right in the middle of the path even outside the patio door. I pick up twice a day and before each pick up the flies are terrible but after the pick up and poop bagged and put in a seperate bin and closed and pooper scooper put in a bucket of water there isn't a fly to be seen. Their poo's are nice and firm even to the stage they are white and crumbly if they have just had bones so there is no residue for the flies to hang around for. I also pick their bowls up and put inside straight after meals which helps keep flies away. Mozzies have been our problem this year but fortunately they don't seem to bite.

As mentioned, it's pretty firm with little residue. We haven't had fly problems before but since it got extremely hot – we get a lot of flies early in the morning. It seems to get better late in the day and I'm hoping that with a change of weather, the flies will cease to bother us. Before, it was perfect to do clean-up in the afternoon because all the poos were dried up into shrivelled, hardened, non-odorous objects that were pretty easy to clean up.

As mentioned, the fly traps seem to help a bit. As to attracting flies, I doubt we could have more flies in Poo Corner than we already do! Our dogs concentrate most of their toileting activities to Poo Corner and I guess the flies know that :laugh: Crossing my fingers that the fly traps continue to work. We do at least two poo picks a day but I've been doing an extra one just before dark so that there's very little that's around first thing in the morning when the flies are at their worst.

We sprayed around our back patio area last week with Coopex, and the next morning there were dead cockroaches and flies all over the place. We will be spraying regularly with this, it is mainly to try and keep the fleas down, as we get them terribly bad in the back yard. You can now buy it from Bunnings too I noticed, in a little sachet.

We have had the fly traps but they are only so good, and are terribly gross to empty LOL

Edited by Rysup

Permoxin is a fly spray and also keeps fleas and ticks away. You can also use it straight on the dogs. If you google plants that keep flys away there are a couple and id plant them in Poo Corner.

I believe lavender is good deterent for a lot of insects.