Dog Becoming A Bit Too Protective?

macdog3

Hi all...

Need some help... my dog, who is 2 and half is becoming more aggresive with other dogs. He is fine and loves playing with dogs that he knows but as soon as he sees another dog he goes into defense mode and if that dog approaches him he becomes aggressive!

This is only happening recenlty, before this he would play with any dog he could find!

Why could this be? anything i can do to get him through this?

Cheers!

macdog- A professional who can actually see/hear your dog ,and discuss things with you at home would be the way for you to get understanding and specific skills.These problems really need personal help .

Where are you located ? Someone can probably be recommended if we know where you are :laugh:

Definitely seek professional help.

And keep him onlead around other dogs.

What breed/s is he and where is this behaviour occuring? If its at the dog park, I'd say his carefree days of being a social butterfly are over. He's a big boy now and some mature males simply aren't tolerant of others.

For the safety of other dogs, I'd not be allowing offlead encounters with them until you talk to a professional. Don't call your local Bark Busters - tell us where you are and hopefully someone can be recommended.

Is he desexed?

What breed/s is he and where is this behaviour occuring? If its at the dog park, I'd say his carefree days of being a social butterfly are over. He's a big boy now and some mature males simply aren't tolerant of others.

For the safety of other dogs, I'd not be allowing offlead encounters with them until you talk to a professional. Don't call your local Bark Busters - tell us where you are and hopefully someone can be recommended.

Is he desexed?

He is an Aussie Cattle Dog. So far its happened across the road from my home and at the beach. At beach a dog ran up to him and they were sniffing each other, the other dog growled and then it was on,5 minutes later another dog came up and they were happy as larry with each other!! Weird...

Now i dont let him off the lead, outside until he has been introduced to other dog with me there

Is he desexed?

He is an Aussie Cattle Dog. So far its happened across the road from my home and at the beach. At beach a dog ran up to him and they were sniffing each other, the other dog growled and then it was on,5 minutes later another dog came up and they were happy as larry with each other!! Weird...

Now i dont let him off the lead, outside until he has been introduced to other dog with me there

Have a think about what ACDs were bred to do - strangers (dog or human) aren't generally something that they would be expected to tolerate.

If you haven't worked on a bombproof recall, now's the time. Your dog is less likely to get into spats if you can get him to return to your side when other dogs approach.

Dogs differ, their attitudes differ and clearly your dog is not going to tolerate challenges from others. I think a professional could help you not only to read your dog (and others) but to give you some strategies to manage this perfectly natural behaviour. In the meantime, keep him away from strange dogs.

And call the behaviour what it is - aggression. Accepting that that's what you're dealing with is the first step to managing it.

You're not alone. Plenty of dogs aren't welcoming to any and every strange dog that comes along. As I said mature entire males and other entire males definitely tend to be more explosive.

Edited by poodlefan

Is he desexed?

Have a think about what ACDs were bred to do - strangers (dog or human) aren't generally something that they would be expected to tolerate.

If you haven't worked on a bombproof recall, now's the time. Your dog is less likely to get into spats if you can get him to return to your side when other dogs approach.

Dogs differ, their attitudes differ and clearly your dog is not going to tolerate challenges from others. I think a professional could help you not only to read your dog (and others) but to give you some strategies to manage this perfectly natural behaviour. In the meantime, keep him away from strange dogs.

And call the behaviour what it is - aggression. Accepting that that's what you're dealing with is the first step to managing it.

You're not alone. Plenty of dogs aren't welcoming to any and every strange dog that comes along. As I said mature entire males and other entire males definitely tend to be more explosive.

Dog is desexed.

I think i called it that in my opening post...

It may not be full scale aggression, just an aggressive response now that he's mature and thinks he's all that and then some :) Keep him on a long line and I would be calling someone to come have a good look and give you some tips on how to curb his behaviour. Yes he is a cattle dog and they tend to bite first, ask questions later BUT that doesnt mean he has to be like that.

Avoid places where dogs just run at him, its rude behaviour and gets dogs into fights. Your boy wont tolerate it just like you wouldnt tolerate someone running into your face shouting and waving their hands in your face either! If there are dogs about start teahing him to come to you, call im over, reward heavily for being a calm then send him off again. Repeat so that recall means just come to you and not that his play time is over. Never be upset with him, if he wont listen tug on his lead a few times and walk off in the opposit direction with his favourite toy/food. Make yourself better then he other dogs at least as a beginning until you get a trainer in. It's what you will need to do anyway :laugh:

Hi macdog3,

If you are located in SA I can personally recommend George from Sit, Drop, Stay training: 0416508549 www.sitdropstay.com.au

Excellent, very experienced trainer/behaviorist and in one private consultation with him you will learn a great deal about what is going on here and how to begin to resolve it.

Sharon

Edited by Sheilaheel02

Is he desexed?

Dog is desexed.

I think i called it that in my opening post...

Indeed. I was thinking the same thing.

That aside, some good advice in this thread though. :)