Harness For Running Beside Bike

What are people's preferences for a harness to use when running on a Springer beside a bike?

My GSD likes to stay well clear of the bike and back a little, but I don't think she is comfortable in this harness. I would like to get her something more comfortable.

I asked this question a while back and got the suggestion of this one. My girl is only young so we have just started getting her used to the bike, but she jogs on this one regularly and we love it. It doesn't restrict her movement in any way, and it fits snugly and doesn't rub.

The loop of the harness is attached to a handle-like structure which is quite long, so the dog can run ahead or behind without too much hassle, if that makes sense...

:o That's the first time I've heard of that in Tassie!

So that would only apply to public roads? And if I were to clip the leash to a hands-free belt instead of the Springer, that would be OK?

Did Cesar make the rule? :laugh: Sorry, not sure of the reference concerning CM?

considering a dog can drag a bike into oncoming traffic quite easily or itself get tangled in the bike I dont see it as a stupid law.

I was surprised that it was a law here, but I didn't say it was stupid. Over the top, maybe. There is no way my dog can do either of those things attached to a Springer, and believe me she has tried :laugh: Despite this, the extra road width required can be a nuisance to drivers on many roads so I avoid them.

i don't think you are allowed to do this any more in SA either. haven't seen a dog running next to a bike for a long time.

i think the cesar milan comment was because he is shown often on his tv show with dogs pulling him along on roller blades and him riding a bike with a dog running beside him.

I asked this question a while back and got the suggestion of this one. My girl is only young so we have just started getting her used to the bike, but she jogs on this one regularly and we love it. It doesn't restrict her movement in any way, and it fits snugly and doesn't rub.

Is the difference with this one with the padding?

while the top piece slides to the side allowing the dog to pull forward in the harness without the harness twisting on the body.

That might be what I'm looking for, thanks. Although my dog does not pull I think it is the twisting on the body that is uncomfortable, the straps end up in the wrong places.

i think the cesar milan comment was because he is shown often on his tv show with dogs pulling him along on roller blades and him riding a bike with a dog running beside him.

Ahh, got it. Is there some resistance to this in the dog world? I found out the other day that a significantly large number of people think weight pulling is cruel. That surprised me.

Is the difference with this one with the padding?

Difference between this one and what? :laugh: It's quite uniquely shaped compared to other harnesses I've seen.

Difference between this one and what? :laugh: It's quite uniquely shaped compared to other harnesses I've seen.

Sorry, I should have been more specific :o I noticed it has padding, is that how it avoids chafing? Or does it stay in place better?

The rule is part of the "australian national road rules" introduced in 1999.

All states and territories had to enact their own version of it or they would not get funding for road maintenance from the Federal Govt. It was back when John Howard used to blackmail? the states into doing what he wanted.

So road and road related areas - include footpaths and bike paths that are publically owned and shared by bicycles and pedestrians. There's a long list of definitions.

I do believe the same national road rules introduced some other stuff like compulsory bicycle helmet wearing when cycling, and default speed limit of 100km/h anywhere not sign posted - and that was not popular in the NT. I think the NT either opted not to enforce the speed limit rule outside city limits or they made some variation that allows cars to continue to do whatever they like. But I'd want to check before I drove fast in the NT. A lot of SA, and NSW roads now have 110 sign posted where the roads are in good enough condition.

Cesar Milan promotes riding your bike with your dog as a way to exercise the dog, and I was so looking forward to doing that... bleah. I do believe Cesar says - check your local road rules but nobody seems to do this. It's like "Don't try this at home"...

Sorry, I should have been more specific :o I noticed it has padding, is that how it avoids chafing? Or does it stay in place better?

Ah :D It stays in place really well, it doesn't move to the sides at all even with pulling or lagging. I think the padding does have something to do with it. Also, at least on my girl, it doesn't actually sit right under her armpits, which is a problem I've had with other harnesses and chafing. It sits back a centimetre or so. I'll take a video tonight if you're interested, I'll walk her around a bit so you can see how it fits.

Ahh, got it. Is there some resistance to this in the dog world? I found out the other day that a significantly large number of people think weight pulling is cruel. That surprised me.

i think as with most things there are several camps of thought. i have no problems with weight pulling and in fact one of my previous dogs love it so much she would try to pull things on her own :laugh:

i think with milan it's because people see things on tv then go do them without checking if it's good for their dog or whether it's legal.

Cesar Milan promotes riding your bike with your dog as a way to exercise the dog, and I was so looking forward to doing that... bleah. I do believe Cesar says - check your local road rules but nobody seems to do this. It's like "Don't try this at home"...

I wonder about fire trails in the bush? They are the best places to go usually.

I also wonder about having the leash attached to your person? Endurance trials are still legal, so maybe that is OK? I sometimes attach the leash to a hands-free belt but then you have all sorts of problems that a Springer solves. I bought a scooter from the tip shop but my dogs are too old to pull someone of my weight.

I wonder about fire trails in the bush? They are the best places to go usually.

I also wonder about having the leash attached to your person? Endurance trials are still legal, so maybe that is OK? I sometimes attach the leash to a hands-free belt but then you have all sorts of problems that a Springer solves. I bought a scooter from the tip shop but my dogs are too old to pull someone of my weight.

you can do this anywhere as long as it isn't a public road where other road rules apply...so lots of places like fire trails or forest trails (as long as they allow dogs of course)

Also, at least on my girl, it doesn't actually sit right under her armpits, which is a problem I've had with other harnesses and chafing. It sits back a centimetre or so.

That makes sense, I can see that design allowing for that. Thanks for all your help, no need to go to any trouble making a vid, but thanks for the offer :laugh: