Caucasian Ovcharka

Africa

Agree with what the other members here have said.

Wanting something different isn't a great reason. There are many breeds here in Aus that you could get that are very similar. Try and Boerboel (as already suggested) or a Tibetan Mastiff first maybe.

Good luck with your search.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest english.ivy

Stunning dogs but WOW they are huge!! That coat wouldn't be suitable for Perth summers fullstop, it would be cruel.

There are plenty of giant breeds in Aus which are docile and relatively easy to own, some far less common than others. I'm sure one of them would suit you better, and you could go for one of the rarer ones if that is what's influencing you so strongly. I just hope you don't want a certain type of dog purely because it's different, as in my eyes that's having your dog as a status symbol. Just my opinion, good luck in whatever you decide.

Africa- perhaps you could have an OS holiday,and spend time with some of these dogs 'in person' ?

That's a great idea! If you're willing to spend tens of thousands on importing, I think it would be very smart to invest in an overseas trip to meet these dogs & their breeders in person & be sure they're what you want (and also investigate different lines, different breeders, etc). It's one thing to read about a demanding dog, another to live with one.

Casowner, I know you're experienced with the Central Asian Shepherd and was wondering if you knew whether there was much difference in temperment between the CAS and the Romanian Mioritic Shepherd or the Polish Lowland Shepherd?

I'd love one of these dogs one day (when I have lots and lots and lots of land).

Casowner, I know you're experienced with the Central Asian Shepherd and was wondering if you knew whether there was much difference in temperment between the CAS and the Romanian Mioritic Shepherd or the Polish Lowland Shepherd?

I'd love one of these dogs one day (when I have lots and lots and lots of land).

No sorry Mollie I don't, maybe Lilli does as she spends a lot of time overseas with livestock guardians. I have learnt through owning Jake that what you read about a breed isn't necessarily what you should expect which is why I am willing to post about the CASD and not any other livestock guardian breed. I have done a lot of research into the CO as it is a breed on my one day list but my true love lies with the CAO/CASD.

Do you mean the Polish Lowland Sheep Dog (Polski Owczarek Nizinny)? If so, you're talking about a medium sized herding dog, not a livestock guardian.

Very different temperament.

To the OP - I understand the lure of the unique and the rare. From what I can gather, this is a dog that would have to be locked up every time you had visitors come to your house, that would represent a serious physical threat to visitors without notice, that could never be boarded and couldn't be walked or exercised offlead in public places. New people staying in your home and relatives visiting would be at some physical risk. No one other than you could safely care for it. I wonder if you are "in love" with the idea of the ultimate protector but how different the reality of owning one might be.

That's a challenging dog to own and I would worry about what sort of life you could give a dog like that in anything other than a home on a large country property - it sounds totally unsuitable for the 'burbs. Imagine the police having to shoot your dog to get past it if you had an accident and needed medical attention. Imagine a friend dropping by while you were out and your dog threatening them. I imagine your visitors would dry up pretty quickly!

Owning a dog like that in an unsuitable environment sounds akin to owning a big cat and I for one am not sorry we don't allow that in this country. Those 'pets' kill quite a few people every year.

Edited by poodlefan

No sorry Mollie I don't, maybe Lilli does as she spends a lot of time overseas with livestock guardians. I have learnt through owning Jake that what you read about a breed isn't necessarily what you should expect which is why I am willing to post about the CASD and not any other livestock guardian breed. I have done a lot of research into the CO as it is a breed on my one day list but my true love lies with the CAO/CASD.

Thank you anyway Cas. I just love the big fuzzy faces of the Romanian Mioritic :cry: I'm definately going to have to try and meet one. I'm hoping to go to Russia for the 2014 Winter Olympics, so I will investigate and hopefully meeting up with some owners/breeders then :confused:

Do you mean the Polish Lowland Sheep Dog (Polski Owczarek Nizinny)? If so, you're talking about a medium sized herding dog, not a livestock guardian.

Thanks Poodlefan for the clarification. The PON is a much smaller dog I understand?

Thanks Poodlefan for the clarification. The PON is a much smaller dog I understand?

Yes. I have met one - someone local imported several. Very nice dog it seems if you can cope with the hair. :eek: They are popular for dog sports O/S

There are two breeders listed for them in the breed pages here. One is in Tassie!

Edited by poodlefan

Yes. I have met one - someone local imported several. Very nice dog it seems if you can cope with the hair. :eek: They are popular for dog sports O/S

There are two breeders listed for them in the breed pages here.

I have wheatens, so I'm used to hair :cry:

I would love to meet some and see if I am allergic to them. I'm fine with the wheatens and poodles, bichons etc (the traditional low allergy dogs). I'm happy with the two terrors at the moment, but I do have a 'love to own' list :mad

I have wheatens, so I'm used to hair :confused:

I would love to meet some and see if I am allergic to them. I'm fine with the wheatens and poodles, bichons etc (the traditional low allergy dogs). I'm happy with the two terrors at the moment, but I do have a 'love to own' list :eek:

See my edit on my previous post. You have one resident in Tasmania now. :cry:

I have wheatens, so I'm used to hair :thumbsup:

I would love to meet some and see if I am allergic to them. I'm fine with the wheatens and poodles, bichons etc (the traditional low allergy dogs). I'm happy with the two terrors at the moment, but I do have a 'love to own' list :D

See my edit on my previous post. You have one resident in Tasmania now. :rofl:

Hmmm now I'm tempted. ;)

What a coincidence, I just have been reading thread about CO's in Finnish dog forum and then I come here and found this thread. We have CO's quite a lot in Finland. It is easy to import them from Russia since Russia is just across the border. People have been really excited about the breed the last ten years. Today we are in trouble. These dogs has killed lots of other dogs, they have bitten many people and caused so much sorrow just because wrong people buy them. These dogs should be in the middle of nowhere looking after a farm and animals. They should not be in the suburbans. Never!

What I have learned about aussie dog culture within these few moths I have been here, those dogs are not suitable to your environment. You already have too much abandoned dogs (we don't in Finland, instead people are resquing dogs from Estonia, Spain etc.) that you don't want these dogs to mix everything even more. Most of the caucasian ovcharkas won't live long in Finland. They are too difficult to handle for most of the owners that they will be put down because their behaviour. This is very sad, because dogs haven't done anything else than what they are developed for, they are just in wrong environment.

What a coincidence, I just have been reading thread about CO's in Finnish dog forum and then I come here and found this thread. We have CO's quite a lot in Finland. It is easy to import them from Russia since Russia is just across the border. People have been really excited about the breed the last ten years. Today we are in trouble. These dogs has killed lots of other dogs, they have bitten many people and caused so much sorrow just because wrong people buy them. These dogs should be in the middle of nowhere looking after a farm and animals. They should not be in the suburbans. Never!

What I have learned about aussie dog culture within these few moths I have been here, those dogs are not suitable to your environment. You already have too much abandoned dogs (we don't in Finland, instead people are resquing dogs from Estonia, Spain etc.) that you don't want these dogs to mix everything even more. Most of the caucasian ovcharkas won't live long in Finland. They are too difficult to handle for most of the owners that they will be put down because their behaviour. This is very sad, because dogs haven't done anything else than what they are developed for, they are just in wrong environment.

Thanks for that perspective Elina - very sad for the dogs that they've ended up in totally unsuitable homes. :thumbsup:

90kg of trouble is a lot of trouble. Lets hope the dogs don't find their way into the wrong homes in this country.

Edited by poodlefan

If you were thinking about the livestock guarding Polish breed (rather then the herding dog) you though of a Owczarek Podhalanski (sorry dont know the name in English, perhaps its called a mountain dog) its a dog size of a maremma, and also white.

Hi Elina :thumbsup:

This time last year I was in Estonia. Didn't get to visit Finland, but definately will next time. I loved it. I visited a wheaten terrier breeder just outside Tallinn who was lovely.

It is very sad that the wrong sort of people get COs. It's similar to what has happened to the APBT in the US. We can't expect dogs not to behave in accordance with their nature. My dogs are terriers. They chase small furry things. COs are meant to protect livestock from wolves, bears and other predators. They are beautiful, wonderful creatures, but not suitable for a backyard (unless it's a REALLY BIG backyard, with sheep).

As I said above I'd love a romanian mioritic, but I know I'd need a lot of land to make it viable.

If you were thinking about the livestock guarding Polish breed (rather then the herding dog) you though of a Owczarek Podhalanski (sorry dont know the name in English, perhaps its called a mountain dog) its a dog size of a maremma, and also white.

Thanks, I just googled them - aren't they beautiful?

Hi Elina :D

This time last year I was in Estonia. Didn't get to visit Finland, but definately will next time. I loved it. I visited a wheaten terrier breeder just outside Tallinn who was lovely.

Hi Mollie10 :rofl:

I hope you'll get a chance to travel to Finland next time. Finland is quite similar with the climate, but everything is more expensive :thumbsup:

There are many easier LGD breeds, for example Pyrenean Mountain Dog, do you have these in Australia? We have had those in Finland for ages as a very good pets. They are almost as big and furry, but much more easier by their temperament.

Hi Elina :D

Hi Mollie10 :rofl:

I hope you'll get a chance to travel to Finland next time. Finland is quite similar with the climate, but everything is more expensive :thumbsup:

There are many easier LGD breeds, for example Pyrenean Mountain Dog, do you have these in Australia? We have had those in Finland for ages as a very good pets. They are almost as big and furry, but much more easier by their temperament.

Yes, DOL member Espinay breeds them. ;)