Bedding For Older Dogs

dianed

My girl is slowly loosing strength in her back end. A couple of years ago I got some enduro foam cut at the rubber place and had it covered. This year I plan on adding some enduro foam overlay the egg carton type, to the top of her mattress. She loves to lay flat out at night. I also added a heated bed on top for winter and I think that really helped her.

My sister came around the other day and asked if my dogs had enough beds. They have a kennel each, a trampoline bed, a bean bag, a couch, and Grumpy has a mattress that someone gave him. Nominally, they sleep in their crates when we go to bed but sometimes Grumpy puts on his stubborn act and refuses even after being bribed. I'm looking at having step made that's big enough for him to get on my bed (so probably small coffee table-ish size). The alternative, which I got a resigned shake of the head from the vet for, is to buy a bed that's closer to the ground. He can still fairly easily jump up on my bed but sometimes he misses and I worry about him jumping off.

You could probably buy a cheap coffee table and just put rubber on the top to stop him slipping.

The oldies and youngsters have the sofas, crates or plastic baskets with lots of vet bed and duvets in

My old dogs sleep on my bed!!

I added a set of steps to make it easier for them to get on and off but the only dog that uses them is the 2 year old!! :rofl:

i have gone the other way - i no longer allow Atlas on my bed - I am laying floorboards this thursday, and there is no way i am allowing him to jump off the bed, his feet are bad and it was ok with carpet, but not the boards. I know he wont use stairs. So I have set up a bono fido stay dry basket with a nice pillow in it next to my bed, i can pat him during the night, i will move him to the other side of the room once he is used to being in there every night - so far so good :eek:

i am also looking at getting a bigger kennel for outside, so i can put a tramp bed inside it, to keep him off the ground. I wish he wouldnt eat everything out there :rofl: it makes it so hard to get a good bed for him

Ollie now has lots of beds all over the house but spends most of his sleeping time on my bed or the lounge. He can't jump on my bed so he just stands there and lets me know he wants up (and I have to let him down again)... He still jumps up on the lounge OK.

He has another mattress in the lounge room on the floor and also a trampoline bed in my bedroom (he seems to like these if it is really hot)...

Clover is in need of a new bed as well, so i am glad this topic came up. I am also thinking one of the bono fido stay dry beds, or a Snooza matress. It will have to be easy for her to get up out of once she is lying down.

Last night, I couldn't be bothered trying to get Grumpy into his bed (I'd run out of roast chicken for bribing), so he jumped up on mine. He was up and down like a yo-yo and finally, with loads of beds in the house, including mine, he slept on the floor. I had to keep my lamp on all night in case he decided he wanted to jump up again.

Pest of the universe.

My lot all have Bona Fido stay dry beds + I bought one for them for Christmas that sort of looks like a mattress?? It's popular with the oldies :rainbowbridge:

In summer, they sleep on trampoline beds with sheets/cooler types of blankets, on them. In winter, all beds have doonas added for warmth and extra padding. I must say, they Bona Fido beds have been very popular with all of my guys and the oldies tend to snooze the days away in them. Haven't looked into steps for the bed - my old boy can sometimes make it up there still but if he thinks he can't, he will ask me for help (pathetic puppy dog eyes...). Biggest concession I've made for the oldies is a ramp for them to get in and out of the car (Holden Rodeo). This is something that the old dogs really do love!

Yes i am going to have to look into getting a ramp as well for when we find our 'dog mobile'. What brand do you use gsp?

Clover has just been sleeping on the floor the last few nights, it has just been too hot for the old girl :rainbowbridge:.

Check out steps made for caravans in hardware stores, they are light and easy to carry around. Not just for the oldies, I use a single one so my girl can jump into the ute without too much effort, otherwise she just waits for me to lift her in :wave: I covered the bottom of the legs with some material so it doesnt slip.

Sheridan that is my concern now as well, Clover is just starting to trip over things and have her back legs go from under her on occasions. I am thinking i will have to build a ramp for her to get down and up the back steps at some stage.

Hi, it is a PetSteps folding ramp. I got mine from the US when a friend living there, moved back here, so I saved a bucket load that way. It takes up a bit of room, but I have a large car so that isn't a problem at all. I have seen them available here but for more than double the price I paid :(

Well worth the money that I have spent though, it makes life so much easier for my oldies and even my youngest dog prefers to use it too.

Yes i am going to have to look into getting a ramp as well for when we find our 'dog mobile'. What brand do you use gsp?

Clover has just been sleeping on the floor the last few nights, it has just been too hot for the old girl :(.