Bedding For Older Dogs

dianed

I bought some pet steps once for my old girl lady but she wouldn't use them so this is what I have at bottom of my bed instead and didn't cost me a thing just scrounged around for anyone throwing out old lounge chairs or sofa's and she is happy with this.

post-31607-1297856232_thumb.jpgpost-31607-1297856259_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=232863:014.JPG] :thumbsup:

post-31607-1297856633_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Clover

I finally found Clover a bed today that I am happy with. And it was a bargain for the size of it, and even better she loves it :hug:.

post-2703-1299675676_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Muttlover thats a really good idea :thumbsup: Why didn't I think of that :laugh::confused:? I'm looking at buying a new bed next year and will get something lower or might even go back to my poor post divorce days and just put a good new king -sized matress on the floor! :laugh:

I bought some pet steps once for my old girl lady but she wouldn't use them so this is what I have at bottom of my bed instead and didn't cost me a thing just scrounged around for anyone throwing out old lounge chairs or sofa's and she is happy with this.

post-31607-1297856232_thumb.jpgpost-31607-1297856259_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=232863:014.JPG] :thumbsup:

My little girl sleeps on my bed but i bought her a lovely sheep skin from a skin shop to lie on to keep extra warm, she also has steps from deals direct but is yet to use them as she just waits for me to lift her up :)

We got a duro bed type dog bed for our old boy and he loves it. He only just fits on it though so i just bought a snooza dog futon! Once i have more spare cash they will be getting the snooza d1000.

Its hard to pick a bed as its our old rotty who likes to destroy them,but hes in love with his current one.

• 2 weeks later...

great idea for a cheaper ramp. I went to Repco and got a motorbike ramp which was more than half the price of the "pet" ramps. i knew it would take my rotti's weight and it is 6ft aluminium that folds in half, light weight and easy to fit in the car upright in front of the passenger seat of alongside the rear of my xtrail. It has aluminium flat steps which you would roll a motorcycle up on but I just covered it in carpet and he loves it! Also for bedding, something flat on the ground, definitely no hanging hesian beds which cause a lot of problems the more they sag as your older dog tries to get out of them in a hurry for any reason. Now for the formula to make them live forever....!

Well, it happened.

Grumpy went to jump up on my bed, missed and fell backwards, twisting his back. Thankfully he wasn't hurt. I bullied him into his crate that night and the following but he wasn't having a bar of it the night after. I now have the mattresses out of the sofa bed on the floor for him to jump up on and then onto my bed as an interim measure. Last Friday I just bought a $1500 bed that's fairly close to the ground and because it's Australian made, they will cut the short legs even shorter by 7 cm so he can just step up on the bed.

Well, it happened.

Grumpy went to jump up on my bed, missed and fell backwards, twisting his back. Thankfully he wasn't hurt. I bullied him into his crate that night and the following but he wasn't having a bar of it the night after. I now have the mattresses out of the sofa bed on the floor for him to jump up on and then onto my bed as an interim measure. Last Friday I just bought a $1500 bed that's fairly close to the ground and because it's Australian made, they will cut the short legs even shorter by 7 cm so he can just step up on the bed.

You are a good mum. Just be careful he doesn't hurt himself when getting of the bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ow, good luck making those modifications. They just like to keep their independence and spring up and down onto furniture like they always have but....if possible I try and lift my little one up and down and he has gotten used to the whole "wait" thing while I rush at his beck and call when he wants to get up or down. While a fall/twisted back may seem to have "not done any damage", guaranteed it has. I would get your little one adjusted by a good animal chiropractor to ensure the pinched nerves from the fall are released and he wont be experiencing any muscle spasm as a result. Better to be proactive than reactive with lame / elderly animals!