Crate Training

feistylady

Having just read the postings on the new puppy vet programme :rainbowbridge: I will now show my ignorance and ask what is crate training I gather it is to do with toilet training and as I have not had to train a new puppy for 15 years plus openly admit I am not up on it at all.

Thank you for your replies

Michelle

A crate is like a pet carrier, you can get the plastic type or the wire type. It should be just big enough for the dog to sleep in.

And then you train them to like the crate and see it as their den, put toys and treats and kongs in there etc, and put them in for a few seconds to begin with, have a party, going into the crate is the most awesome thing ever etc. Then slowly work your way up to several hours (which sometimes doesn't happen so slowly, my puppy had to be in his from his first night here, but I spent most of his first day here encouraging him to go in, and he slept quietly the whole night).

I like to cover it with a blanket as well. He used to whinge whenever I would leave the room where his crate was for the first week or two, but after I started covering it up he can't see me leave, and then for some reason doesn't care (surely he can hear me leave, but as long as he can't SEE me leave it's ok)

Once the puppy is comfortable in the crate, you can use it as a safe place to put the puppy away when you have to leave the house, or just for naps. It works in more than one way, it's a safe place for the puppy so he can't get into trouble, it's also safer for your house because the puppy can't chew up shoes and furniture, it teaches the puppy that it's ok to be away from you for an hour or two at a time, and it helps with housetraining.

The idea with housetraining is that dogs are clean animals and won't soil their sleeping area. So as long as they are crated they will not pee (within reason of course) and then you can take them out to pee and reward them for peeing outside. If the puppy is left in the laundry or playpen, it will pee on the floor, or on newspapers or pee pads, and so you have missed an opportunity to reward the puppy for going outside.

A crate is like a pet carrier, you can get the plastic type or the wire type. It should be just big enough for the dog to sleep in.

And then you train them to like the crate and see it as their den, put toys and treats and kongs in there etc, and put them in for a few seconds to begin with, have a party, going into the crate is the most awesome thing ever etc. Then slowly work your way up to several hours (which sometimes doesn't happen so slowly, my puppy had to be in his from his first night here, but I spent most of his first day here encouraging him to go in, and he slept quietly the whole night).

I like to cover it with a blanket as well. He used to whinge whenever I would leave the room where his crate was for the first week or two, but after I started covering it up he can't see me leave, and then for some reason doesn't care (surely he can hear me leave, but as long as he can't SEE me leave it's ok)

Once the puppy is comfortable in the crate, you can use it as a safe place to put the puppy away when you have to leave the house, or just for naps. It works in more than one way, it's a safe place for the puppy so he can't get into trouble, it's also safer for your house because the puppy can't chew up shoes and furniture, it teaches the puppy that it's ok to be away from you for an hour or two at a time, and it helps with housetraining.

The idea with housetraining is that dogs are clean animals and won't soil their sleeping area. So as long as they are crated they will not pee (within reason of course) and then you can take them out to pee and reward them for peeing outside. If the puppy is left in the laundry or playpen, it will pee on the floor, or on newspapers or pee pads, and so you have missed an opportunity to reward the puppy for going outside.

Thank you so much fuzzy does make absolute sense to me

I have had three dogs from puppies, but with my current puppy I tried crate training which I didn't do with the others.

It was amazing, one week to virtually accident free! Not a single poo inside.

Also very handy for keeping your dog close by when they are resting or having a quiet chew on a toy, without sticking them out of sight in the laundry, or even just having peace of mind that they aren't eating your pot plants when you are not looking. When we stayed in a B&B last week, Sniper slept in it, and I don't think we could have taken him there without it.

Mine has castors on it so I can roll it from room to room if I need to, and as its an airline crate with sort of two plastic halves with mesh windows, it's a bit darker inside for rest time. I :laugh: them!

I have had three dogs from puppies, but with my current puppy I tried crate training which I didn't do with the others.

It was amazing, one week to virtually accident free! Not a single poo inside.

Also very handy for keeping your dog close by when they are resting or having a quiet chew on a toy, without sticking them out of sight in the laundry, or even just having peace of mind that they aren't eating your pot plants when you are not looking. When we stayed in a B&B last week, Sniper slept in it, and I don't think we could have taken him there without it.

Mine has castors on it so I can roll it from room to room if I need to, and as its an airline crate with sort of two plastic halves with mesh windows, it's a bit darker inside for rest time. I :laugh: them!

[/quote ]

I like the idea of the castors less back strain

I used to think that crates were inhumane. I decided to give it a go and my dogs absolutely love them. They are called their indoor beds and you ask them to go to bed they go to their crates and lay down.

When they are scared or nervous they take themselves to their crates as they feel very safe in them.

I have quite a collection of crates here since I started fostering pups for rescue - wouldn't ever not have one now...

I used to think it was nasty, but since using them regularly, I have found that it's the best tool a puppy owner could ever have.

T.

When I first heard about crate training, I read alot about it and thought it was terribly inhumane.

But somehow I got curious enough to try it - and loved it.

When I got my Westie as a pup, it was just wonderful. We only used it for a year, but she is a well trained, well adjusted girl, and the crate was awesome. I had it next to the bed, and I would wake up during the night, take her out to go to the toilet, put her back in - and she was fine.

I'd never crate trained any of my previous dogs- so glad I did this time around.

Toilet training was a breeze, no separation anxiety when she was left alone, no problems if she's having a sleepover somewhere- her bed goes with her. Scarlett loves her crate, it helps when her crate is in an air-conditioned room in summer too!