Puppy Barking ~ When Playing With Toys & At Objects In The House

perla

My puppy starts barking at various objects in the house (i.e., basket, trash bin, vacuum cleaner, a box, etc.). I try to calm her down or distract her to do something else when it happens but that haven't been much successful. She can be very persistent! I'm wondering if this associates with the fear period (she's 11 weeks now and get spook pretty easily when hearing loud noise) and what should I do to prevent this to develop into an excessive barking in the future. Another barking problem that we're having is she would occasionally bark at her new toys when playing with them. Is this normal? She can get pretty excited and loud. Should I worry?

post-38345-1296521010_thumb.jpg

Edited by perla

Sounds like she's excited when playing with her toys. I wouldn't be too concerned. As to the other barking, if you ignore her does she stop or keep going? Our pup went through similar phases, and if we reacted to him he'd just bark more, but if we just laughed it off and ignored him he was fine. He doesn't bark much at all anymore.

She surely can be very vocal :grouphug: I'm glad to hear that barking during play is normal. Is barking at random stuff in the house normal too? This morning she started barking at her doggy biscuit box and yesterday she was barking notoriously at a trash bin. It's kind of funny to see her doing that but I'm worried about disturbing the neighbours :D

Our puppy barks at his toys when he is in a really excitable mood... Especially when chasing his plastic ball that has little beans in it that rattles noisely across our floors. Other times you won't hear a peep out of him, just depends on if he's really wound up whilst playing.

He does bark at our bin as well, but generally after we've put something in there :grouphug: He tried barking at the vacuum cleaner but we just ignored him each time and he's subsequently stopped doing it..

I think (well I hope) it is normal. Our 1yr old dog still barks at toys or while playing with us, but it is a very different sound to when she barks at someone hanging around outside the fence, a trespassing cat or other strange happenings. Her play bark is very high pitched and makes me laugh...especially when she runs into the lounge, shoves her head under a seat cushion and barks to herself half a dozen times before resuming zoomies around the house.

She has a few toys that always elicit barking so I put those away before dinner out of respect for the neighbours. We've had no problems with anyone so far and I worry the high pitched squawk could carry over some distance on a quiet evening.

Our now 10 yr old dog used to bark at the oven door, & high gloss duco on the car, she was barking at the strange puppy looking at her. She now barks at passers by outside the house. I woulnt call her a nuisance barker. Ignore it as best you can & enjoy the funny puppy antics.