Panting Really Fast

Lucy's mama

Hi. I have come home from school drop off to Banjo madly barking at the back fence. A couple of dogs were down there in the swamp/bushland on the other side of the fence. They ran off and I called Banjo up. He immediately went for his water bucket, stood in it and drank between panting. He has a bit of blood on his muzzle but nothing much else.

He has always been a real panty dog but he is panting quite fast even after 5 or so minutes. I've poured water over him, bought him inside on the tiles and have the air con on. My bloody phone is showing 'no network' so I can't call the vet and ask.

In the last few months I've twice taken him to the vet for small concerns and nothings been wrong with him - just me being a worrier, so I don't really want to keep doing that.

At what point would you rock up at the vet if your dog was panting a lot in a cool environment??

It does take a while for dogs to cool down especially once they have gotten themselves all worked up and been running around at the same time.

Not sure what type of dog Banjo is?? But judging by your pic a relatively large, hairy dog so it will take a while for his internal temp to come down.

Try giving him some ice or something because its bloody humid and it would be his insides that are still hot not his outside.

Maybe try giving him a wet towel to lay on or lay over the top of him too.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Like I said - I have no network coverage. I have walked around for 5 minutes trying to get coverage but nothing.

get a blood test done asap, often these panting episodes can be a sign of internal issues thats often why external consults come back with no outcome. Internal bleeding can be a cause, if a mass or something is growing it can be ruptured causing a blead during excessive exercise, rough play or sudden physical movemt.

Have you noticed a change in smell or abdomen? More sleeping?

Worth a vet check, and bloods.

Bno point tipping a bucket, it needs to be a constant cold stream for an extended period to make any difference to the core temp.

The reason I say all this is based on first hand experience on multiple occasions. I wish I had internal checks done earlier

It does take a while for dogs to cool down especially once they have gotten themselves all worked up and been running around at the same time.

Not sure what type of dog Banjo is?? But judging by your pic a relatively large, hairy dog so it will take a while for his internal temp to come down.

Try giving him some ice or something because its bloody humid and it would be his insides that are still hot not his outside.

Maybe try giving him a wet towel to lay on or lay over the top of him too.

Wet towels trap heat. If heat exhaustion is suspected, fully immersing the dog in cold water is the go.

Of course if the dog is panting due to shock, cold water immersion would be dangerous.

Put the dog in the car, drive it to the vet and get someone to actually see it. Better a false alarm than a serious issue left untreated.

Odds are its stress and heat but we can't see the dog so we're only guessing. The blood on the muzzle would concern me - perhaps an incident on or through the fence.

Thank you. I have given him a bottle of frozen milk he is licking now.

Chewbacca - do you mean the fact he has always panted a lot could be a sign of a chronic illness?

No, I have not noticed any other changes.

His panting has settled for now and I think I will take him to the vet. He has had some MASSIVE runs at a flat out pace recently (The neighbours kids let him out, he saw an opportunity and took off at full pace) where I have worried he will just run himself to death. He just doesn't seem to know when to stop.

My guess is that he has been fence running in excitement at the dogs playing down the back.....and its quite warm and muggy out...so he has probably just got overexcited.

I would hose his feet and under his tummy....and try to encourage him to rest so he can cool down.

The blood could be from running at the fence.

My guys when playing will often come up puffing and panting and some hop in the water bowls, or I have several clam pools and they will come and sit or lie down in them.

My aussie and my high energy Lab are kept in a run during the day, as they play a lot and would keep running around all day and possibly overheat.

However, I would still keep an eye on him for any other signs just to be on the safe side.

Banjo looks like a lab or goldie is that right ?

If so, one thing to be on the look out for is EIC. But if you say the neighbours kids let him out and he run around like crazy, then I doubt it would be that.

EIC = Exercise Induced Collapse

Briefly, it just means that dogs affected by it can collapse (and sometimes die) after strenuous exercise.

Its probably been around for a long time, just we couldnt test for it back then.

I don't want to be rude but is he carrying any excess weight? :) The dogs I know that are overweight pant a LOT more than my two and at a much higher intensity...

My Aussie does pant more than my other boy... she is a busy body and is always on the move. She usually does cool down quickly once she settles in a cool spot so sometimes I just have to encourage that (by withdrawing attention or sitting with her, whatever works).

Maybe you should be calling your Vet for advice?

You read the original post well didn't you?

My guess is that he has been fence running in excitement at the dogs playing down the back.....and its quite warm and muggy out...so he has probably just got overexcited.

My thoughts also ....

I don't want to be rude but is he carrying any excess weight? :) The dogs I know that are overweight pant a LOT more than my two and at a much higher intensity...

My young dog (very fit and lean) pants for ages after being exercised ..... some dogs just do. I reckon the dog in question has been fence running while everyone was at the school drop off.

If so, one thing to be on the look out for is EIC. But if you say the neighbours kids let him out and he run around like crazy, then I doubt it would be that.

Briefly, it just means that dogs affected by it can collapse (and sometimes die) after strenuous exercise.

Its probably been around for a long time, just we couldnt test for it back then.

OT but..

I have met a lab with what is beleived to be EIC (no test done, it's only a pet) and I was with him once during an episode the symptoms were more seizure like, the dog I know which likely has it sort of freezes from the rear end forward but his eyes stay aware and he looks frightened. After a time lapse (I think at the longest was like 15 minutes) it's like he begins to unfreeze and gets back feeling slowly in his front limbs (upon which he gets up and tries to walk but can't :) ) and it moves back until his rear end has feeling again, the time I was with him we then helped him stand and he just gave us this cheeky look took a few wobbly steps and was off running again.

My young dog (very fit and lean) pants for ages after being exercised ..... some dogs just do. I reckon the dog in question has been fence running while everyone was at the school drop off.

Our kelpie takes ages to stop panting too. It wasn't particularly hot last night, but he was still puffing half an hour after the younger one had stopped.

OT but..

I have met a lab with what is beleived to be EIC (no test done, it's only a pet) and I was with him once during an episode the symptoms were more seizure like, the dog I know which likely has it sort of freezes from the rear end forward but his eyes stay aware and he looks frightened. After a time lapse (I think at the longest was like 15 minutes) it's like he begins to unfreeze and gets back feeling slowly in his front limbs (upon which he gets up and tries to walk but can't :o ) and it moves back until his rear end has feeling again, the time I was with him we then helped him stand and he just gave us this cheeky look took a few wobbly steps and was off running again.

I've never seen it myself (thankfully)....but must of been quite scary for the owners I would imagine and yourself seeing it as well. :(