ATTENTION ALL EXHIBITORS FOR T & G ALL BREEDS DOG CLUB SHOW

Saturday, 5th February

The official 10.00am Bureau of Meteorology forecast for Penrith on Saturday

indicates a maximum temperature of 41 Degrees which places the

T & G All Breeds Dog Club under coverage of the Dogs NSW Extreme Weather

Regulations (Part II - 19.1).

Penrith Summary

Min 24 Max 41

*Partly cloudy. Isolated showers. The chance of thunderstorms in the west.

Winds northerly and light tending north to northwesterly up to 30 km/h

during the morning.

*The Club President, Betty Stepkovitch and Committee

have considered the forecast in detail and the following changes/precautions

have been decided:

JUNIOR SHOWMANSHIP - Was to begin at 5.00pm - there will now be NO JUNIOR

SHOWMANSHIP conducted at the show. The Junior Showmanship competition will

be conducted at our July Show instead.

BREED JUDGING - Commencing at 5.30 as per schedule PROVIDED the temperature

at that time is below 40 degrees.

Hoses with special Shower Heads will be provided at strategic locations

around the ground to keep dogs cool.

I also remind exhibitors of the following Regulation

19.1.1 If, at any Show, an exhibitor considers that the heat conditions are

or may be prejudicial to the comfort or welfare of their exhibit/s, they may leave the

grounds immediately with no penalty or other consequence in relation to any award

that may have previously been made at that show.

PERMISSION TO CROSS POST IS DEFINITELY GIVEN and WELCOME

Debbie Burrows

Asstnt Show Secretary

T & G All Breeds Dog Club

ATTENTION ALL EXHIBITORS FOR T & G ALL BREEDS DOG CLUB SHOW

Saturday, 5th February

The official 10.00am Bureau of Meteorology forecast for Penrith on Saturday

indicates a maximum temperature of 41 Degrees which places the

T & G All Breeds Dog Club under coverage of the Dogs NSW Extreme Weather

Regulations (Part II - 19.1).

Penrith Summary

Min 24 Max 41

*Partly cloudy. Isolated showers. The chance of thunderstorms in the west.

Winds northerly and light tending north to northwesterly up to 30 km/h

during the morning.

*The Club President, Betty Stepkovitch and Committee

have considered the forecast in detail and the following changes/precautions

have been decided:

JUNIOR SHOWMANSHIP - Was to begin at 5.00pm - there will now be NO JUNIOR

SHOWMANSHIP conducted at the show. The Junior Showmanship competition will

be conducted at our July Show instead.

BREED JUDGING - Commencing at 5.30 as per schedule PROVIDED the temperature

at that time is below 40 degrees.

Hoses with special Shower Heads will be provided at strategic locations

around the ground to keep dogs cool.

I also remind exhibitors of the following Regulation

19.1.1 If, at any Show, an exhibitor considers that the heat conditions are

or may be prejudicial to the comfort or welfare of their exhibit/s, they may leave the

grounds immediately with no penalty or other consequence in relation to any award

that may have previously been made at that show.

PERMISSION TO CROSS POST IS DEFINITELY GIVEN and WELCOME

Debbie Burrows

Asstnt Show Secretary

T & G All Breeds Dog Club

bump :(

Yeah, it's 530pm now and apparently 40 degrees. Definitely not going regardless if it's on or not.

Hi,

Apparrently the show is going ahead ....the committee had one temp reading at 40 then at 5.30 it was 39.9, 5.33 temp 39.5, 5.34 temp 39.6, 5.44 temp 39.7. So according to the heat policy all well to go ahead. This was posted on the OzShow........that .3 degrees in temp does make a big difference......nothing like promoting responsible dog ownership...NOT

Yeah, it's 530pm now and apparently 40 degrees. Definitely not going regardless if it's on or not.

Hi,

Apparrently the show is going ahead ....the committee had one temp reading at 40 then at 5.30 it was 39.9, 5.33 temp 39.5, 5.34 temp 39.6, 5.44 temp 39.7. So according to the heat policy all well to go ahead. This was posted on the OzShow........that .3 degrees in temp does make a big difference......nothing like promoting responsible dog ownership...NOT

Agreed, 40.0 is too high, if the extreme policy comes into effect at 35 degrees, why have it go to 40 degrees before its cancelled.... it should be closer to 35, for the comfort of everyone, including the judges and stewards, some of which are no spring chickens.

Hi,

Agreed, 40.0 is too high, if the extreme policy comes into effect at 35 degrees, why have it go to 40 degrees before its cancelled.... it should be closer to 35, for the comfort of everyone, including the judges and stewards, some of which are no spring chickens.

sorry think you are all nuts if you show in that heat. And definately not fair to the dogs.

sorry think you are all nuts if you show in that heat. And definately not fair to the dogs.

Agree, although Id call it down right cruel - if one could only ask the dog where he'd rather be ;)

Hi,

Thoroughly agree........picture this............39.9, dogs in crates under cabanas in the sun at the headquarters for dog showing in NSW, Erskine Park............what a wonderful PR promotion/photo opportunity that is for what the logo of DNSW says "promoting responsible dog ownership"

I was entered for both shows at EP this weekend but chose not to exhibit for both my hound and my own health! This type of stupidity of not canceling these shows, due to the extreme heat, is just another opportunity for the groups of people that are anti pedigree dogs and the show scene. What great ammunition for them to establish that showing can be cruel!! Committees need to be more responsible in this area and not be concerned about loosing a few dollars.....our dogs health is paramount here!

I was entered for both shows at EP this weekend but chose not to exhibit for both my hound and my own health! This type of stupidity of not canceling these shows, due to the extreme heat, is just another opportunity for the groups of people that are anti pedigree dogs and the show scene. What great ammunition for them to establish that showing can be cruel!! Committees need to be more responsible in this area and not be concerned about loosing a few dollars.....our dogs health is paramount here!

Let me point out some facts to you.

When an All Breeds Club applies to become an affiliate of Dogs NSW, they agree to abide by the rules & regulations as set out by Dogs NSW. Dogs NSW has an extreme heat policy which was created after the Spring Fair in 2009. This policy was discussed by the Show Committee of the Spring Fair, in consultation with the RSPCA. It was then made an extreme heat policy of Dogs NSW.

Whilst the Committee of T & G (of which I am Secretary) appreciate the fact that it was very hot, we still had to abide by the extreme heat policy of Dogs NSW. Dogs NSW President, Mr Tom Couchman, was continually monitoring the readings for Badgery's Creek on the Bureau of Meteorology website and providing the President of T & G with these updates.

As a Committee member of T & G I take offense at your insinuations that we are only concerned about losing money!!! All entries are paid for prior to the show and the Club does not lose any money if the show does not proceed. There are no refunds given in this case, so to accuse me and other members of the Committee of being irresponsible is downright rude. We can only follow the rules as set out by Dogs NSW, it is the responsibility of the owners of the dogs to decide whether to attend the show in these circumstances and to choose whether they will show their dogs.

Edited by Havasneeze

People need to have a think about the situation before jumping in with criticisms.

We went to this show a couple of years back - I think it was the day that turned into Black Saturday for Victoria? It was 45+ at home. And like many people, we didn't have aircon in our house. The dogs were unhappy, as were the humans. Everywhere was awful and hot, no relief.

So we decided to go. Packed dogs and kids in the car with blissful aircon - everyone happy.

It was still 40 at EP, so start was delayed. Dogs and kids playing in ice water, still much happier than at home. The dogs were with us every moment, being kept comfortable with ice and cool sheets etc. Much better than at home where they would've kept on sweltering with us through the afternoon.

Judging started late, every dog there was cheerful and enjoying themselves. We stayed late for general specials and our dogs were playing and generally having a ball. Not suffering, and certainly not victims of cruel owners.

It's a lovely show, always well run and mindful of the time of year and weather.

Hi,

Whilst I understand the show was run under the Rules of the Extreme Heat Policy.............the situation with the weather this week, with the predicted temperature of 40 degrees on Saturday being forecasted atleast 4 days prior and also knowing that the predicted temperatures leading to Saturday were in the high 30's........it was an oppurtunity to give Rule 19.1.2, 19.12.1, 19.12.2 a try out.

It is interesting to note that the Greyhound Racing Authority postpone 4 meets on Saturday..... 2 being Wentworth Park and Richmond, they have air conditioned kennels at their tracks.........but postponed the meets due to animal welfare concerns. Not all areas in NSW suffered these temperatures, so it was left to the Stewards to make a decision in areas where the forecasted temperature where going to be in the high 30's. Considering the GRA are partly funded by income from the TAB....what a brave decision.

Hi,

Whilst I understand the show was run under the Rules of the Extreme Heat Policy.............the situation with the weather this week, with the predicted temperature of 40 degrees on Saturday being forecasted atleast 4 days prior and also knowing that the predicted temperatures leading to Saturday were in the high 30's........it was an oppurtunity to give Rule 19.1.2, 19.12.1, 19.12.2 a try out.

It is interesting to note that the Greyhound Racing Authority postpone 4 meets on Saturday..... 2 being Wentworth Park and Richmond, they have air conditioned kennels at their tracks.........but postponed the meets due to animal welfare concerns. Not all areas in NSW suffered these temperatures, so it was left to the Stewards to make a decision in areas where the forecasted temperature where going to be in the high 30's. Considering the GRA are partly funded by income from the TAB....what a brave decision.

I'm guessing you mean Rules 19.1.2, 19.1.2.1 & 19.1.2.2. These are the particular points under which we worked. We chose to move Junior Handlers to our July show and start the breed at the advertised time of 5.30pm, weather permitting. As it turned out, it was the correct decision and the show went ahead at the advertised time and with no problems. We also had to try to not disadvantage those exhibitors who had entered Sydney Kennel Club show which was scheduled to start at 8am on Sunday. Once again, I point out, that it is the Exhibitors choice as to whether they show their dogs or not.

Whilst I appreciate the the GRA chose to "postpone" their meetings, I think there is a big difference between a dog running full bore around a track chasing a lure and a dog doing a lap around a small show ring at a trot. "Postpone" is the important word in this sentence. We would have been "cancelling" our show, not "postponing" it. Let's try looking at things from a different perspective. Let's say I'm a "working" dog exhibitor, I would be very upset if you chose to cancel the show without adhering to the rules of Dogs NSW. "Working" dogs should be able to "work" all day in any temperature and any conditions. Having shown working dogs myself, I know that this is the most important aspect when looking at a "working" dog. Does it look like it can work all day under any conditions? If it doesn't, then it is NOT a good example of the breed and we are, after all, supposed to be showing the "BEST" examples of the breed. I would also like to point out that whilst the Toys had approximately a 50% absentee rate, the working dogs had approximately 80% of those entered show their dogs.

Edited by Havasneeze

Hi,

I'm guessing you mean Rules 19.1.2, 19.1.2.1 & 19.1.2.2. These are the particular points under which we worked. We chose to move Junior Handlers to our July show and start the breed at the advertised time of 5.30pm, weather permitting. As it turned out, it was the correct decision and the show went ahead at the advertised time and with no problems. We also had to try to not disadvantage those exhibitors who had entered Sydney Kennel Club show which was scheduled to start at 8am on Sunday. Once again, I point out, that it is the Exhibitors choice as to whether they show their dogs or not.

Whilst I appreciate the the GRA chose to "postpone" their meetings, I think there is a big difference between a dog running full bore around a track chasing a lure and a dog doing a lap around a small show ring at a trot. "Postpone" is the important word in this sentence. We would have been "cancelling" our show, not "postponing" it. Let's try looking at things from a different perspective. Let's say I'm a "working" dog exhibitor, I would be very upset if you chose to cancel the show without adhering to the rules of Dogs NSW. "Working" dogs should be able to "work" all day in any temperature and any conditions. Having shown working dogs myself, I know that this is the most important aspect when looking at a "working" dog. Does it look like it can work all day under any conditions? If it doesn't, then it is NOT a good example of the breed and we are, after all, supposed to be showing the "BEST" examples of the breed. I would also like to point out that whilst the Toys had approximately a 50% absentee rate, the working dogs had approximately 80% of those entered show their dogs.

The point I was trying to make with quoting the Rules number was that under these rules there is the capacity to cancel prior to the show not just change the show time....which most people seem to think a show can be only cancelled if 40 degress is reached twice on the day of the show.

With the GRA.......cancelled or postponed, my point there is.............they didn't want their dogs travelling in the heat, they didn't want their dogs racing in the heat on Saturday and that the lucky Greyhounds have air conditioned kennels when they get to the track, and I'm aware that they are dealing with smaller numbers and a bigger pool of funds for their facilities to be better.

Edited by Showpony

I totally agree and I dont care about the excuses or reasons made by certain people as to why its "OK" for them to show their dogs in such extreme heat.

IT IS cruel and putting show results before the welfare of the animals who dont have any choice in the matter.

I fail to see how any dog or human can be better off at a show than at home resting and staying as cool as possible on days of extreme heat.

I would like to see the extreme temperature rules come into effect at 35 or 36 degrees instead of 40. That is extreme!

5 degrees is a huge difference and does effect man and beast alike.

I totally agree and I dont care about the excuses or reasons made by certain people as to why its "OK" for them to show their dogs in such extreme heat.

IT IS cruel and putting show results before the welfare of the animals who dont have any choice in the matter.

I fail to see how any dog or human can be better off at a show than at home resting and staying as cool as possible on days of extreme heat.

I would like to see the extreme temperature rules come into effect at 35 or 36 degrees instead of 40. That is extreme!

5 degrees is a huge difference and does effect man and beast alike.

Yes...40 C is extreme.........for those of us old enough to remember farenheit being used to measure temperature it's 104