Look What We Made!

dog geek

That is really good, well done to you and your boys :thumbsup:

I have attatched a yard to my dogs dog runs as the house yard is livestock fencing and not escape proof and due to snakes I wouldn't leave them out anyway. I have dug out the dirt for the trench and am now shovelling in large blue metal so the the chainmesh and snake mesh are buried but won't rust. I have around another 600 to700kgs to shovel, but due to hurting my back last time I have had a bit of a rest from doing it at the moment :thumbsup:

Wow - that looks great! :thumbsup:

So I thought - what else have you all done to improve your dog's quality of life? I was hoping to be inspired further!

Bought a king sized bed :) Yes, seriously, bought a king sized bed because there wasn't enough room for us and the dogs :thumbsup:

This is our Day Pen that was made around the only shade in the yard, we now also have water misters in there as well.

We have a fan in the shed portion however if we have a hot summer next year like the heat wave we just had we'll be putting an air con unit in there.

dog_run.jpg

dog_run2-1.jpg

Dante under the Misters, we changed the position of them from the side of the pen shown here to going through the middle of the pen:

mister-2.jpg

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what sort of cost is involved with building these runs??

MEH yours is fantastic I love it.

Dog Geek yours doesnt look like it was hard to put together etc? What did it cost you?

We had 2 standard dog runs and used panels from these.

Misting systems are around $40 from Bunnings for 3 metres of hose.

Shed was already there.

We were kinda fortunate, everything kinda just fell into place and fitted.

http://www.horsesathome.com.au/shoponline.html

This is the link to the dog pen, I bought the large one. So $300 for the pen; about $70 for the small aviary mesh and about $60 for the shadecloth. Then I just put some riverpebbles in.

I put the shadecolth on the outside of the pen, but it continues underneath inside the pen about 30cms; then I put the aviary mesh over it on the outside of the pen.

I love the watermisters! That is a great idea! At present for our hot days I have been hosing the pebbles and shadecloth.... Love the idea of the mister, if I put them up I could move in there myself!

Edited by dog geek

What exactly are the misters called and how do they work? DO they only work when you turn them on or can you put them on a timer???

Just called Misters, they're in the hose and fitting section at Bunnings, you can get them online but they tend to be pricey.

We have ours on a timer.

Postage was around $30, the pen came in a 50-ish kg flat pack, but the ties for attaching the mesh to the frame are a little inadequate - if my dogs were larger and heavier I would use heavier gauge wire to attach it.

re the king-size bed.... :confused: guilty!

My dad made an enclosure for my hare. It is purpose made and plenty sturdy enough while still being possible to take it apart if we ever have to move it. It's about 4m long, 2m wide, and 2m tall. He has a crate for when the weather gets miserable, a bench he can sit on to see what's going on or hide underneath, and a shell pool that's full of soil for him to dig in. He apparently doesn't think much of digging and instead just likes to eat his hay in it. We put corrugated iron along most of the bottom, but left it off on one corner and the door so that he can see out. He likes to see what's happening, but doesn't like to see it from all sides. He's happiest if he can watch and feel hidden at the same time. It cost about $400 in materials and took my dad about two weekends to make it. I love that we can take it with us when we leave this block.

Not doggy stuff, but I did consider putting my puppy in it when it was sitting there unused while the final touches were put on. It was a lot bigger and safer than his puppy pen!

What exactly are the misters called and how do they work? DO they only work when you turn them on or can you put them on a timer???

Just called Misters, they're in the hose and fitting section at Bunnings, you can get them online but they tend to be pricey.

We have ours on a timer.

Thank you I will check them out when next in there.