Who Takes Their Dog To Work?

kmaci

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could take Portia to work with me when I have my own office (which is hopefully soon).

Building owners say 'no animals', our admin area where I work from now isn't set up well to accommodate for it, and my office manager is scared to the point of phobic of dogs. :)

I took a pup into the staff room one morning and one of the other staff shot through quicker than a curry vindaloo. Dog Phobia. WTF

Tango comes to work every day and either lounges around in the back of the car (Ford wagon with rear screen) with a steady stream of people in the suburb greeting him as they go past and being fed everyone's toast and yogurt and supervising the couriers, or he's in dispatch with Craig - in warm weather in front of the air con...... :laugh: atm I can't let him wander the building too freely because there are 3 neighbourhood cats that are also in residence.....

He gets at least 4 car rides and 4kms of walks a day and we are both fitter than ever before!!! I still get run over every morning in the rush to get in the car...I think he's a lot happier with me than at home during the day...

I'm lucky enough to be able to take my boy to work too. He pretty much divides his day between:

- doing his best 'woe is me' eyes at the boss to get some of her morning tea and lunch;

- playing with his SWF friend (the boss' dog); and

- snoozing in his crate.

With some rather undesirable folk often around, I find it very reassuring to have him at work also.

The only downsides to having him at work...having folk tell me about their BYB litters / suggesting I breed him with their dog :) / asking how much RR's "go for" (with little dollar signs popping up in their eyes ) :laugh:

post-23523-1297340100_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I run my own business, so can take my dog if I choose. I use to take my old girl, she came to work every day with me for 2 years. When she passed away, my customers cried with me every day for weeks afterwards. I got flowers and messages in the newspaper from my regulars sharing my grief (was very touching). Angus comes with me occasionally, but Im trying not to make it a habit, as I want him to know he can stay home by himself sometimes. I love having him at work though and 99% of my customers love him as well.

being a security guard we use to work with dogs all the time, doing patrols, (we dont use dogs anymoreon patrols), now I am mostly in the office & our guys get to come along & lounge around where they like & play, they are spoilt rotten. :laugh: :D

Guest Panzer Attack!

I've been taking my pup to the salon with me a fair few times since I got him, it's great for his socialization and great for us to have a bit of time apart. He takes it all in his stride, although he's not too happy if no one is paying attention to him!

He's going to be shattered when he grows up and no one says "AWWW PUPPY!!!" to him anymore, LOL.

I used to take Emma to work. She was Delta tested first, I would have thought very hard before taking her without some sort of temprament testing even though she is perfect (I work in a school). She probably came about once a week or once a fortnight, day carefully chosen so that it didn't coincide with meetings etc. Always stayed by my side, sat under my desk, and made no noise! She did wonders for the morale of most staff, the kids loved having her in (she certainly helped break some boundaries for them socially and psychologically), and I have to say the kids never worked better than when Em was in the classroom (the rules were that they couldn't pat the dog unless she went to them or if they were coming to ask me a question - never had so many questions asked in a class!!!!). The kids loved the responsibility of being allowed to take her out to the garden bed to go wees, and really showed how much they can respect something/one they value (particularly late last year when she wasn't too well and would come in just prior to a vet app).

But now they are putting policy in place so dogs can't be at work. So this has prompted me to re-evaluate my position there and I'll be looking for somewhere/thing that is a bit more accepting. And no ones really interested in hearing the evidence there is for dogs being excellent social ice-breakers for kids, or the benefits their presence can have in terms of the kids psychological welfare and confidence building in learning. Not that I think that dogs should be in every workplace, but I want to make a bit of a stance against the whinging few getting their way and the overwhelming majority being ignored. Plus really it's just a good excuse for me to look for a job I'll like better where I can be with the ones I want to be with!!!

Totally agree, Pretty Miss Emma.

We work in a high school and took 6mo GSD in every Friday. He was mainly outside with us all day. Kids loved it and teachers commented how much calmer the kids were. He even managed to reform 2 dog-phobic teenagers! and was working with a special needs one.

Sadly at about 12mo, we were asked not to bring him in anymore by the principal who was as upset as we were. We think a particular teacher complained.

After 2 years, the kids still ask why he doesn't come in anymore. We tell them they drop too much rubbish.

Totally agree, Pretty Miss Emma.

We work in a high school and took 6mo GSD in every Friday. He was mainly outside with us all day. Kids loved it and teachers commented how much calmer the kids were. He even managed to reform 2 dog-phobic teenagers! and was working with a special needs one.

Sadly at about 12mo, we were asked not to bring him in anymore by the principal who was as upset as we were. We think a particular teacher complained.

After 2 years, the kids still ask why he doesn't come in anymore. We tell them they drop too much rubbish.

Sounding like exactly the same scenario!!

I do love your response as to why he doesn't visit anymore, I'm going to steal it from you!!! :laugh: