Allergic Reaction? Or Something Else?

ravenau1

Hi all!

This morning when we got up I noticed that the fur on my 17 week old Dobe's back looked a bit funny. I took her outside into the sun to have a good look and her skin is covered in bumps in a line down her back approx 15cms wide.

Here's a couple of pics

You can see that her fur looks uneven.

backfeb102011.jpg

Here's a shot from the bottom up, against the direction of the fur, I've circled a couple of areas I managed to get a bit of a shot of.

back2feb2011.jpg

She's acting fine, her normal 'full of beans' self, she's currently running zoomies in the yard! It doesn't seem to be itchy at all either. There have been a couple of things happening this week. I washed her the day before yesterday, her last bath was about a month ago as she doesn't smell and dirt just brushes off her. The only reason I washed her this week was that she was dripping in Stafford spit. I also tried to feed her some raw beef the day before yesterday (which made her sick as usual) and some oats, both things she doesn't normally get.

I am sure that if it was like this yesterday I would have noticed, it was the first thing I saw when I got her out of bed this morning and I was half asleep! I don't know how I would have missed it so I am assuming that it's happened during the night, but I don't know. She is usually very sleek furred along the back so it is very noticeable.

I have made a vet appt for later on this arvo (when OH gets home) but just wondered if anyone had ideas in the meantime.

Thanks!

Oh and she looks blue in the last pic but it's just the light.

One of my foster pups had something similar all over her back, an insect bite is what we thought of she acted normal and the reaction went away after a few days. feels lumpy and the hair is raised for our pup but no side effects.

Look like hives. I'd do the Calendula Tea treatment and give it 24 hours. If they reappear you'll need to investigate the cause. Could be related to your dog's digestive system, or not. My boy has had hives (plenty of them) in the past and sometimes they'd work in patterns ..... down each side of his spine was one such pattern.

The hives aren't so much the problem (although they are a symptom of something). It's more that you want to avoid them turning to a secondary skin infection. This is what the Calendula Tea helps with (anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities) as well as reducing the itch that can be accompanied by them.

Edited by Erny

Thanks everyone :rolleyes:

Erny, Calendula is marigold? I grew them once upon a time. Where would I get a tea from? I presume that I pour it on her as a rinse or such? Pls excuse my ignorance :o

She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort which is good.

Erny, Calendula is marigold? I grew them once upon a time. Where would I get a tea from? I presume that I pour it on her as a rinse or such? Pls excuse my ignorance :rolleyes:

Yes you're right .... it is dried Marigold flowers. I purchase mine from my local Health Food Store (although they're out of stock of it at the moment). You make it as you would tea. I usually use a stocking and dunk it as though it was a tea bag in boiling water - leave it steep until the water is tepid - cool. Discard the used Calendula and use the liquid tea to wet up on the dog's skin where s/he is affected. When things are at their worst I normally make a strong brew but generally speaking about 1-2 tablespoons (max) to a cup of hot water.

I grew Marigolds as well, when I was a kid. I'm not sure that I'd try to make my own tea for these medicinal uses though. Perhaps I'm being overly careful, but seeing as I'm trying to cleanse the skin from secondary infection I'd rather use the commercially provided stuff. I'm not sure what processes they use for sterility, but I've not had any problems so I'll stick with buying it rather than making it.

If the hives don't noticeably reduce in 24 hours (a few applications of the Calendula tea inside that initial period) and/or get worse, then definitely visit your Vet. Whilst every condition, dog, situation is different, I will say (as I've said many other times before) that I've been able to avoid having to administer anti-biotics and cortisone with the use of the Calendula. Of course I've also spent a great deal of time, money and effort in working to try to find the cause/s for my boy's condition in the mean time.

Thanks Erny!

The lumps have gone down almost completely since this morning, there are still a couple which are noticeable but all the rest have gone. Her skin still does look a but funny underneath though and it looks like her fur may be a bit thinner, or perhaps I am looking for problems now lol.

I will find some calendula tea this arvo, thanks for the info!

I had a very similar problem with Rhino when he was younger.

24 - 36 hours after washing he got lumps down his back just like your girls th_IMG_7373.jpg

It happened again after the next bath and after discussing with my derm, she suggested not pouring the shampoo directly onto his back and not massaging it in either, instead I now rub it in my hands and just wipe it over him and he hasn't had the problem since. :(

The derm said it could be due to lack of/dysfunction(not her words but I can't remember exactly what she said lol) of his skin barrier.

Just thought I'd mention it so you can keep it in mind for her next wash :wave:

Does the dog sleep outside? Looks like mosquito bites. My last Dobe used to have a reaction like that to mosquitos, he would end up covered in little bumps all over his body.

Went to a vet about it once, they tried to tell me over the phone that it was a flea allergy.

I explained that the dogs didn't have any fleas and that I thought that it was mosquito bites, they insisted that it would be fleas until I got him there and they took a look at him and declared that it was definitley NOT a flea allergy and was most likely a reaction to mossie bites!

Went to the vet yesterday afternoon, just in case, and it does seem to be hives! He said not too worry too much at this stage and if it comes back we will have to figure out what causes it. I picked up some calendula tea while out shopping last night and did a rinse before putting her to bed. She's still asleep this morning so will do another when she gets up :laugh:

raffikki: It sure does look similar! I will be extra careful when I wash her in future, it's a good idea about rubbing it into my hands first as I do tend to massage it in!

Dobesrock: She sleeps next to the bed but we do go for a little walk in the evenings and she usually asks to go and sit outside a bit at night. We do have HEAPS of mozzies around here! Anyone know if doggie fly repellent will work on mozzies?

My dog got the same the day after I washed her-little pea sized lumps all the way down her spine. I normally just use a flea treatment shampoo but thought I would try a natural, chemical free shampoo and funnily enough this one caused the reaction!

CreamyPuff, Rhino was the same, as in the first time I was using Epi-soothe, 2nd time changed to QV wash and the lumps still returned, that's when the derm mentioned his "skin barrier" and not massaging it into his coat/skin.

At first I thought he wouldn't be clean if I just wiped it on, but surprisingly it actually works very well.

I just wipe in the same direction as the hair growth 1/2 a dozen times, leave for 10 minutes then rinse thoroughly.

We use Pyohex shampoo now though.

Anyone know if doggie fly repellent will work on mozzies?

Permoxin would probably help as a replant, it's very cheap to use too!

Thanks raffikki, I will look out for some! :D

Probably the light but is her skin flakey?

Hmm, I wouldn't say flakey as such, as in if I scratch at it none comes away but it does look a bit rough, if that makes sense? Why, is it something I should look out for?