Tinky Ears

HugUrPup

Ok Mileys anal glands are good now, but her ears have so much wax in them. I have tried to clean them out but they are really bad. I don't think she has enough air getting to them because her ears are so long (CKC), so I am tying them back to air out.

I also have waxole ear drops for swimmers ear here and was wondering if it would be ok to put some in her ears?

Her vet appointment isn't until Wednesday and I think she will probably get antibiotics and eardrops then, but I would like to help her now too.

She is also scratching her ears heaps and I'm not sure if it's her SM symptoms or earache.

Does she have swimmers ear? No, so don't use the drops. They may make the situation worse and give her sore ears. I made the mistake of using swimers ear ear drops when I had sore ears (but not swimmers ear) and it aggravated whatever was wrong ;) ouch.

Just wait until the vet appointment or if you are really concerned get an early appointment at another clinic.

Another DOLer may know of something you can put in her ears but I wouldn't be touching them other than very gently wiping them out with a bit of warm saline solution on a cotton ball.

Ok Mileys anal glands are good now, but her ears have so much wax in them. I have tried to clean them out but they are really bad. I don't think she has enough air getting to them because her ears are so long (CKC), so I am tying them back to air out.

I also have waxole ear drops for swimmers ear here and was wondering if it would be ok to put some in her ears?

Her vet appointment isn't until Wednesday and I think she will probably get antibiotics and eardrops then, but I would like to help her now too.

She is also scratching her ears heaps and I'm not sure if it's her SM symptoms or earache.

She may have otitis externa or otitis medea in which case using medications for swimmers ear will dry out the inflamed areas, making it shrink and causing more pain.

Removing the wax at this stage will not help either and, again, may aggravate them.

You should get a good indication by smelling the ears.

Ears are tricky and nothing solid should ever be inserted into ears. That means cotton buds

To maintain your own ears and your dogs they can be syringed with a solution of 1:4 vinegar and warm water to soften and remove the wax.

Again, vinegar is not advisable if the ears are infected.

Lastly, dogs' external ear canals are quite long and can be left wet if not dried properly.

Personally, I leave the treatment of my dogs ears to the Vet.

Get some Epi-Otic Ear and skin cleanser for dogs and cats. It is made specifically for pets, will give them a really good clean and will not harm them in any way. This is what my vet gave me to Clean my Cavs ears. When I first got my Cav girl she was 2 1/2 and had been treated poorly. I dont think her ears had every been cleaned an they stank to high heaven. The Epi-Otic fixed them up nicely

Thanks for the replies :provoke: very helpful.

I tried to tie her ears a few times and she just shook them free with no hassles LOL

I'll get the vet to check for infection and if there isn't any, I'll get some of this Epi-Otic stuff roseava mentioned.

Here's a tip for ears, if you want to use it.

From an early age, about 3 months I tip Metho into the dogs ears.

It is a great cleaner and after the dog shakes it head to remove anything down there, the Metho just evaporates and leaves a clean non smelling ear.

It's up to you how often you use it but I use it at least once a month.

I would suggest that if you are at the vets, get the vet to look in the dogs ears and makes sure their not an infection in the ear.

I have been using this for more years than I care to remember and don't EVER have ear problems, but then I also don't have dogs with pendulous ears which are more prone to ear infections.

I often find owners with dogs with pendulous ears that use the Metho method don't have ear problems.

Hope this may be of some help.

Yes, oakway, I know a lot of farmers that swear by metho to clean ears. Metho and other alchohols are an astringent and a mid antiseptic and also good at removing ear wax.

If you have yeasty fungal growths in the ears as well, this recipe will clean them out:

1/3rd cup rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alchohol)

1/3 cup white vinegar

1/3rd cup Witch Hazel (health food stores)

about 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil

I have been using this for years now as a ear cleaner, a swig in the ear, massage in then clean with a damp cloth and and repeat in a few days if still messy.

I also use this weekly to prevent muck and yeasty growths in nose folds and skin folds of my pugs - plus it was the only thing (after trying heaps of prescriptions and off the shelf stuff), that cleared my son's athelete's foot (o god did I just admit that publicly?)

EF fat finger typos

Edited by RuralPug