Natural Remedy For Yeast Infection In Ears.

moggy

Took my dog to the vet today because of her head shaking and scratching ears. He diagnosed yeast infection and gave me some tablets and ear drops. I have to return in two weeks time for him to inspect again.

It cost me $131 for the consultation and meds. Wow!!!

There must be a natural remedy to to cure or prevent this happening again. Anyone have any ideas on this subject?

I wouldn't call that an unreasonable price for what was probably a consultation, microscope exam of cytology on the ear, and both oral and topical medication?

Anyhow, as for your question, I don't know any natural cheap meds to use in ears. To be frank, I'd also be pretty wary of ever putting anything down ears without confirming that the eardrum is still intact (which you need an otoscope to do). Some substances & some meds can do the dog substantial damage if they get past a broken ear drum & into the middle ear.

However, if you get rid of any predisposing factors to the infection, it's less likely to happen again. Predisposing factors are things like - make sure your dog has no other food allergies or atopies that can predispose to itchy ears, try to keep the ears dry on the inside (be careful when you bathe or swim the dog), make sure your parasite control is up to date, consider getting a groomer to pluck the ears if the canals seem unusually hairy (plucking helps some dogs, and won't help others, as it can irritate the canal).

Edited by Staranais

I wouldn't call that an unreasonable price for what was probably a consultation, microscope exam of cytology on the ear, and both oral and topical medication?

Anyhow, as for your question, I don't know any natural cheap meds to use in ears. To be frank, I'd also be pretty wary of ever putting anything down ears without confirming that the eardrum is still intact (which you need an otoscope to do). Some substances & some meds can do the dog substantial damage if they get past a broken ear drum & into the middle ear.

However, if you get rid of any predisposing factors to the infection, it's less likely to happen again. Predisposing factors are things like - make sure your dog has no other food allergies or atopies that can predispose to itchy ears, try to keep the ears dry on the inside (be careful when you bathe or swim the dog), make sure your parasite control is up to date, consider getting a groomer to pluck the ears if the canals seem unusually hairy (plucking helps some dogs, and won't help others, as it can irritate the canal).

This is good advice..

However, in the mean time, you must use the medication the vet gave you and keep using it until the medication is all gone or unless the vet advises otherwise.

Manky ears can be frequently recurring (and worsening) problem if the treatment is stopped before it has a chance to work properly. Keep up with the medication whether it works or it doesn't work, don't just drop your vet and try to clear this up naturally.

Took my dog to the vet today because of her head shaking and scratching ears. He diagnosed yeast infection and gave me some tablets and ear drops. I have to return in two weeks time for him to inspect again.

It cost me $131 for the consultation and meds. Wow!!!

There must be a natural remedy to to cure or prevent this happening again. Anyone have any ideas on this subject?

Many dogs are predisposed to ear infections due to the shape of ear.

It is important to keep the ears as dry as possible. If your dog has floppy ears, you may need to tie them back for a few periods during the day to allow them to aerate.

Also, some dogs have very hairy ears. They may need to be plucked by a vet under sedation.

You may wipe the visible part of the ear with water, but make sure you dry them properly and I would not be sticking any solutions down the ear without consulting a vet.

I have every intention of completing the medications advised by the vet and returning for a check up in a fortnight. What I meant was remedies to PREVENT the yeast infection recurring. Sophie is a Chihuahua and does not have floppy ears. Anyway after one day of treatment, Dermotic ear drops and Prednil tabs, she already seems better. Just looking for ideas to prevent the infection returning.

I have every intention of completing the medications advised by the vet and returning for a check up in a fortnight. What I meant was remedies to PREVENT the yeast infection recurring. Sophie is a Chihuahua and does not have floppy ears. Anyway after one day of treatment, Dermotic ear drops and Prednil tabs, she already seems better. Just looking for ideas to prevent the infection returning.

"Prevention" requires you to work out why the infection is occuring in the first place. Have you checked diet to discover as to whether that could be a contributing cause?

My boy had ear issues at one stage. The medication from the Vet was too stringent for him and so I used "Ear Clear" which helped a lot. But that treated the symptom, not the cause. I spent a good deal of time and effort on working out the cause. In his instance I've found that he is hypothyroidic and I've noticed that ever since medication his ears have cleared up considerably. It could also be related to diet as I've changed this as well.

How old is the lil girl? if this is her first one it may well be her only :kissbetter:

I would keep a close eye on her ears and if u see the same syptoms reoccuring again then back to the vet and then i would look into a prevention but as mentioned this can take time as there can be many reasons behind ear issues...

I like u am all for prevention and natural solutions so i can understand where ur coming from! I would look at the diet first - what a re u feeding the wee lil one? Some yeast infections can be caused by lots of yeast in their food - dry usually

i also groom a dog who has yeast issues around his mouth so i clip a clown smile on him to keep all the hair away and let the air in - but being a chi this is not very helpful :S

Sophie will be 4 in July. This is the first time she has had any health problems. I am feeding her Optimum weight management dry food. I have been on the internet all day researching and have decided to change her kibble for something grain free. Looking at Orijen but will do a new post asking for advice.

We love her so much and worry when something like this happens. We have another Chihuahua, Huey, who eats the same food and is very healthy.

going on the fact that this is the first time and she is 4 yrs old i wouldnt worry to much but a change of food would be good as i am not a fan of any foods available from the supermarket :S i have used artemis and i really liked that but it is expensive! so i found nutro better cost wise - it is not grain free, but still of a high quality and is aus made and owned :laugh:

Sophie will be 4 in July. This is the first time she has had any health problems. I am feeding her Optimum weight management dry food.

Interesting.. Miley has started getting ear issues and I have been feeding her the same kibble. I think I'll either go back to the California stuff or find a grain free one.

I'll also feed her more raw chicken necks and roo meat and less kibble to see if that helps.

Sophie will be 4 in July. This is the first time she has had any health problems. I am feeding her Optimum weight management dry food.

Interesting.. Miley has started getting ear issues and I have been feeding her the same kibble. I think I'll either go back to the California stuff or find a grain free one.

I'll also feed her more raw chicken necks and roo meat and less kibble to see if that helps.

Its amazing what changing the diet can do, mine eats only raw meat and bones plus veg, cheese, eggs etc ( no grains ) and he has not had ear issues since! I also use Malacetic ear wash instead of Epi otic etc and uts made a huge difference

Sophie will be 4 in July. This is the first time she has had any health problems. I am feeding her Optimum weight management dry food. I have been on the internet all day researching and have decided to change her kibble for something grain free. Looking at Orijen but will do a new post asking for advice.

We love her so much and worry when something like this happens. We have another Chihuahua, Huey, who eats the same food and is very healthy.

Your post history would indicate otherwise.

As a preventative, I think you might need to look at how often you wash your dogs and what you wash them in. If you upset their skin balance they can be more prone to yeast infections.

What happened with your male chi and his skin problems/allergies?

Glad to hear that you are going to follow up with the vet. They are expensive, but worth it in the long run.

Excuse me Greytmate, this is the first time I have had Sophie to the vet because of an acute problem. She did have very bad tearstains a couple of years ago for which we tried everything INCLUDING an op at the vets which did absolutely nothing and made them worse. It wasn't a health problem just a cosmetic problem. The only product which removed her tearstains was Angels Eyes, fantastic product.

I have over the years posted about her diet because I worry both our babies are not getting the right nutrition.

This is the first time we have taken her to the vet because of a health issue.

I have also posted about Huey, her "brother" and he is very healthy.

Excuse me Greytmate, this is the first time I have had Sophie to the vet because of an acute problem. She did have very bad tearstains a couple of years ago for which we tried everything INCLUDING an op at the vets which did absolutely nothing and made them worse. It wasn't a health problem just a cosmetic problem. The only product which removed her tearstains was Angels Eyes, fantastic product.

I have over the years posted about her diet because I worry both our babies are not getting the right nutrition.

This is the first time we have taken her to the vet because of a health issue.

I have also posted about Huey, her "brother" and he is very healthy.

You didn't take her to the vet when she last had ear problems. You posted about that here. You didn't follow advice. And now she has ear problems again.

Sometimes people are reluctant to go to the vet about ear problems, because of the price, but really the dog does need vet treatment. It's a welfare issue.

Untreated ear problems can lead to deafness, haematoma and other injuries, OC behaviour, brain damage or death.

Often treatments appear to work very quickly, because they contain anti inflammatories, anti-histamines or other pain relieving ingredients.

But unless the problem is correctly diagnosed, and appropriate and full treatment is carried out and things are made right in the dog's environment, ear problems are likely to continue. It can often take a lot of time to achieve success and may take a few vet visits.

Please keep us up to date with how Sophie's treatment is progressing.

Yes, never neglect ear problems, I've had more than one rescued dog in my care with burst eardrums. Shame I couldn't find their owners because I'd have burst their eardrums with the volume of what I had to say to them.

With regards to the diet, I'd recommend the dried food "Natural Balance" available on www.pricelesspets.com.au. There were significant improvements in one of the rescued dog's ears once I fed her that - her ears required daily meds which had to be changed regularly and 3 surgeries in the 2.5 years I had the poor old chook. I cannot bear to think of the agony she'd endured in her life previously.

Ear problems can become so chronic. :love:

Please look at her diet, my last ear-issues dog responded so well to a low-allergy diet. He had to go onto Hills Z/D. Diet affects skin and the ears are sensitive bare skin very inviting to all sort of bugs that like to live in the warm dark. You will definitely see short term results from the meds because they are a good cure for the immediate issue but only while the dog is on them. If it's a chronic problem you'll just get onto a cycle of repeat vet visits, antibiotics and prednisolone.

Try Z/D only or a grain free dry food to start with and then an elimination diet (google that one): basically once the ears settle you keep the dog on the allergen-free food and test the dog one food type at a time and if her ears flare up don't feed it anymore. I've heard people get good results on kangaroo.

Sorry, I haven't looked at your old posts yet so you may have tried that already. :laugh:

Update on Sophie. After 5 days on Prednil she is very lethargic but from articles I have read on the net that is a side effect. No more scratching her right ear or shaking her head. Great. Poor Huey though, he is missing their chasing games and just sits beside her probably wondering what is wrong. I think it is strange though, only her right ear was affected and no smell. I thought there was supposed to be a smell with a yeast infection.