Hills District Kennel And Training Club, Sydney

My husband and myself and our two girls are going to be welcoming a Golden Retriever puppy to our family in April. I have read that puppy preschool is important so I started searching for local ones and came across Hills District Kennel and Training club.

I would love to hear experiences you have had (good or bad).

~Shell~ and I are instructors at Hills and would be happy to answer any questions if you have any. Obviously I love the club otherwise I wouldn't be an instructor there! The entire program from puppies to advanced is very well thought out. It's all done using positive reinforcement and we aim to help you teach your pup how to be a well mannered part of your family.

Edit - stupid iPhone predictive text!

Edited by TerraNik

I have trained my dogs there on and off for many years, since I was a child (I'm now 43!)

I highly recommend them, especially for new puppies and particularly for first-time owners. I will never take any of my dogs to privately run puppy preschool again!

(And TerraNik and ~Shell~ are both great instructors!)

Thank you so much for your replies ladies :champagne:

TerraNik- We get the puppy at 9 weeks of age so how soon after should we start bringing her to puppy preschool? Also do we have to register before we attend or do we do that on the day/evening? Thanks :laugh:

Your pup needs to be vaccinated before you bring her, so minimum age is 11 weeks depending on the vaccination schedule you and your vet choose.

You can sign up any week but on your first night come early to fill out the forms (about 630/645ish).

Nice post - I hadn't thought about puppy pre-school at a training club - I'd only looked into the DogTech one ($110 for 3 weeks - ouch!) and the one at Rooty Hill vet hospital

Monday nights might work too - as long as I can get home a bit early - is traffic around the showgrounds a shocker like it is on the weekends?

Edited by stonecutter

I live on the other side of the country and was made very welcome by the Hills Club when I visited Sydney in April 2010. I was so impressed with their training structure, from first timers, right through to trialing level, and their friendly instructors.

The club is also into positive training and is prepared to enhance their volunteers by sending them on training courses :rainbowbridge:

I live on the other side of the country and was made very welcome by the Hills Club when I visited Sydney in April 2010. I was so impressed with their training structure, from first timers, right through to trialing level, and their friendly instructors.

The club is also into positive training and is prepared to enhance their volunteers by sending them on training courses :rainbowbridge:

:rainbowbridge:

Ptolomy, I've only just 'got' your DOL name. Toller Me! :rainbowbridge:

Wow - that is impressive!

We're 20 minutes away near Quakers Hill (Blacktown Kennel Club is closer but I can't find many on DOL who have been there and had such glowing reviews!) - so a quick trip down the M7, off at Norwest Blvd and we should be there.

Now all we're waiting for is the puppy!