Excercise Induces Collapse

jasperd

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a BC with EIC.

The EIC test for BC has not been developed yet? How do you know your dog is affected?

Just because there is no DNA test, does not mean something exists. Jemma was born 2001 and started showing signs mid 2002. Nearly nine years ago now.

Um.. Dogs exercised.. dogs collapsed.

I did say in my original post, it was labelled akin to lactic acid build up.. Hmm..

When it was studied at UQ. It was not called EIC back then. Just because there is no DNA test, does not mean the condition does not exist through documentation and studies by other vets.

At the time, there were correlations to what mine, and some other dogs we knew of at the time, both show dog and working dogs who all suffered the same symptoms when exercised. These symptoms were similar to instances in the United States and Canada where a "name" was first put to it.

What ever it was. No one will know. She died in 2009 from something else. However the symptoms seen back then, was similar to what is now known as EIC.

I used to have a BC with EIC.

The EIC test for BC has not been developed yet? How do you know your dog is affected?

Just because there is no DNA test, does not mean something exists. Jemma was born 2001 and started showing signs mid 2002. Nearly nine years ago now.

Um.. Dogs exercised.. dogs collapsed.

I did say in my original post, it was labelled akin to lactic acid build up.. Hmm..

When it was studied at UQ. It was not called EIC back then. Just because there is no DNA test, does not mean the condition does not exist through documentation and studies by other vets.

At the time, there were correlations to what mine, and some other dogs we knew of at the time, both show dog and working dogs who all suffered the same symptoms when exercised. These symptoms were similar to instances in the United States and Canada where a "name" was first put to it.

What ever it was. No one will know. She died in 2009 from something else. However the symptoms seen back then, was similar to what is now known as EIC.

Sorry I thought your dog's DNA may also have been tested recently in the US.

Just wanted to add something I observed a couple if weeks ago at a sheep trial.

It was very humid and we saw 4-5 dogs (bc's & a kelpie) suffer from heat & bounce back within 10-20 mins.

Some of these dogs are farm dogs so well used to working for extended periods & in heat.

My observation was that it tended to be the more intense dogs that suffered. They were working fine & then seemed to become a bit disorientated, did not seem to hear or take commands they had previously been taking well. Most continued to try to work but lost the sheep, a couple opted out & left the sheep altogether.

Just wanted to add something I observed a couple if weeks ago at a sheep trial.

It was very humid and we saw 4-5 dogs (bc's & a kelpie) suffer from heat & bounce back within 10-20 mins.

Some of these dogs are farm dogs so well used to working for extended periods & in heat.

My observation was that it tended to be the more intense dogs that suffered. They were working fine & then seemed to become a bit disorientated, did not seem to hear or take commands they had previously been taking well. Most continued to try to work but lost the sheep, a couple opted out & left the sheep altogether.

Interesting, Vickie - that corresponds with my experience with Kirra (stressed to the max when trying to work 75 uncooperative lambies) and my friend's working bred sheepdog - working the yards - stressful for that dog.

It does seem that the disorientation/unable to take commands/wobbly legs/collapse - then pretty quick recovery after a dunk in tepid water - which can occur in BC in intense working situations, might be a different sort of thing. In theose two I've seen in person, there wasn't the stiff legged thing that people describe. But the fact that it seemed to be the more intense dogs that you observed, gels with the situations I've seen - the stress was a big factor.