Contacting Breeders

Lhok

Here's my dilemma

After having a long debate between myself and my husband we have decided to get a dog/puppy in the later half of the year. The breed we are looking at getting is an Akita, and due to some threads a while back we aren't quite sure when would be a good time to get in contact with breeders. We don't want to be seen as tyrekickers but we would like to know more about the health of the Akita in Australia in particular due to everything I have been able to get my hands on so far is mostly concerning the breed in the UK or America.

I have been to some shows but I prefer not to approach people due to them looking so busy.

So do you only contact a breeder when you are looking to buy a puppy or adult dog?

Thanks for your time

--Lhok

I would have said contact the breed club for information but there doesn't seem to be an Akita club in NSW.

I think if you're honest with breeders and say you are considering an Akita but don't know enough to be certain you want one yet then the good breeders won't have any problem in giving you information. And those who are are unwilling to give information without a "guaranteed" sale are probably not worth your time.

With a rarer breed such as an Akita I would be getting on to it pretty quickly, there aren't hundreds of litters and breeders to choose from like there are in other breeds. Phone a couple of breeders near you, say straight up front you aren't interested in a pup for xxx months and see if you can meet them, meet their dogs and chat about the breed.

ETA: I would think that most of the health info you have found about the breed in the UK and USA would be the same as for Australian-bred Akitas - they're not all that common and most have imports pretty close up behind their pedigrees.

Edited by Sandra777

When I started looking at Finnish Lapphunds oh so many years ago now I sent an email to a breeder to find out more about the breed as soon as I saw there was a breeder in Australia. I was about to start Honours at Uni so didn't want a dog until the end of the year but a year is certainly not too early to start asking as who knows when they would have litters available.

As it was we got offered a pup from an upcoming litter, which I regretfully declined. Then a year later they were looking for a new home for one of those pups and we took him :confused:

I have just PM'd you with a few suggestions :confused:

As has been mentioned, there aren't many Akita litters every year (think there were only around 150-odd puppies registered in 2009) so getting in and talking to breeders early will not be a problem!

Oh, and most Akita breeders (the ones I have had contact with anyway) can talk the leg off a chair when it comes to their favourite topic of Akitas and are more than happy to have an attentive listener.

Check out the Akita Club of Vic too if you want more general info.