Beagle Weight

SeeGee

So Im really pedantic about my 2 beagles. Mia has HD so we make a real effort to keep them healthy.

They both weigh around 12.5 - 13kgs, have lovely waists....tick all the boxes.

Down at the dog park the other day (we rarely go, but Im sick atm, and not up for big walk) another beagle owner told me that my dogs were too skinny. I tried to explain about HD, and the importance of keeping them healthy but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

I know that beagles are notorious for being obese - am I crazy for thinking that no one knows what a healthy beagle looks like these days?

I just feel frustrated, and am loathe to be considered a bad dog owner, or that Im underfeeding etc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meh, ignore it. You are on the right track. :(

I used to get that all the time with my GR- actually I haven't for a while ... Better put her on a diet!!! ;)

It's like when my grandma used to tell me I was looking well- I knew I must have put on too much weight! :grouphug:

Some people just think overweight means healthy. It's wrong wrong wrong.

too true Poodlefan! And its not like I go there often at all ha ha. Just annoying I guess.

Show me two dog owners and I'll show you two different opinions. A lot of people think any sign of ribs on a dog means they're too skinny.

I've heard some pretty "interesting" views expressed by dog park users from time to time but it doesn't make them right.

A lot of the more knowledgeable people I know don't use dog parks much.

I've had the same problem with my old girl. she's always been hard to keep weight on but when the RSPCA tried to tell me i was mis-treating my dog I nearly punched them. She was eating 4 cups of Nutrience high-energy food plus bones and meat a day and she was only 20kg!!!

Now, at 11 years old, she doesn't have any sign of arthritis or other health problems. I think her being so skinny all her life has been a blessing in disguise!

I always thought that you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them thats what my vet said. I've seen alot of overweight labs here,There that bad that some of the dogs can hardly walk. My Shelley is a bit overweight but i'm working on that actually she has lost weight already, She was 40kgs now 35kgs so has lost 5kgs in 2 weeks.

I get a few comments about how lean Daisy is, but I tend to hang around with 'serious' dog people more so than the average joe at the park who doesn't have much of a clue. She's a big girl though (44cm at the shoulder) and very solid and muscley, she's just under 15kg but you can see a bit of rib.

I'm one of those annoying people who will often mention to someone if their dog is fat, especially if it's 'my' breed, I can't stand to see fat beagles and they seem to be everywhere :(

Edited by huski

I always thought that you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them thats what my vet said. I've seen alot of overweight labs here,There that bad that some of the dogs can hardly walk. My Shelley is a bit overweight but i'm working on that actually she has lost weight already, She was 40kgs now 35kgs so has lost 5kgs in 2 weeks.

You should be able to feel the ribs with the flat of your hand without pressure. For a lot of dogs that means you'll be able to see the last few.

A Labrador should still have a waist and an obvious tuck. Here's a good example.

workinglab2.jpg

And another. Labs shouldn't look like beef cattle.

fish-3-Medium.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

:( you guys are all awesome.

Seriously, I do know that my beagles, regardless of what other people say,are healthy and happpy, its just frustrating when the average jo make a comment - and i take it personally when i shouldnt.

Ill get over it!!

:( you guys are all awesome.

Seriously, I do know that my beagles, regardless of what other people say,are healthy and happpy, its just frustrating when the average jo make a comment - and i take it personally when i shouldnt.

Ill get over it!!

I know it feels bad when people make negative comments about your dogs even when you know they aren't true.

I'm such a bitch though that I probably would have told them their dog was fat (which it likely would be if they think my dog at perfect weight is too thin) and mentioned a whole heap of problems that come from having dogs carry extra weight.

GREAT looking Labs.

I think the thing here is that average Joe isn't used to seeing 'fit' dogs and they think dogs without filling (polite way to put it) are skinny. A friend of mine feeds her dogs a lot of fatty meat in an effort to get their coats soft, but they are both sighthound crosses and carrying too much weight. She prefers to see them happy, her words, rather than lean.

Me, I prefer my dogs leanish, but then again I also expect my dogs, when they are adults, to be fit and very active. People have lost touch with the fact that most dogs, back in the day, used to be working dogs in some way or another. With our more sedentiary and convenience based lifestyles these days our dogs spend their time now mooching from the backyard to the couch with an occasional lap around the dog park and this simply doesn't cut it as far as effectively keeping a dog in working condition.

Just shrug, smile to yourself and walk away next time, your furkids sound like a lovely weight.

Sadly something even people who should know better cannot always judge either.

A Vet Nurse I work with seriously insulted a breeder/trainer of working kelpies we were vaccinating before a herding display. He commented on the extra weight a plump unworked pup of his was carrying and she replied that the pup was a good weight and the adult dogs should all gain several kilos. Owner was none too impressed.

She, and several others in my practice comment on how well my dogs look if they gain a few kgs, they just cant understand that just because one has a large boof head he doesnt need a rounded body to match. He's a Bull Arab, he is meant to be muscle, not flab!

people are just to use to seeing fat dogs and thinks that is normal,They should look that way. I admit of had some battles getting Shelley to lose weight if i give her more then 1 and half cups of food a day she gains weight. Tommorrow i'll take another picture of her since she has lost 5kgs. Heres a picture of Shelley at 40kgs.

2698684950107041515S500x500Q85.jpg

GREAT looking Labs.

I think the thing here is that average Joe isn't used to seeing 'fit' dogs and they think dogs without filling (polite way to put it) are skinny. A friend of mine feeds her dogs a lot of fatty meat in an effort to get their coats soft, but they are both sighthound crosses and carrying too much weight. She prefers to see them happy, her words, rather than lean.

Me, I prefer my dogs leanish, but then again I also expect my dogs, when they are adults, to be fit and very active. People have lost touch with the fact that most dogs, back in the day, used to be working dogs in some way or another. With our more sedentiary and convenience based lifestyles these days our dogs spend their time now mooching from the backyard to the couch with an occasional lap around the dog park and this simply doesn't cut it as far as effectively keeping a dog in working condition.

Just shrug, smile to yourself and walk away next time, your furkids sound like a lovely weight.

I agree with your whole post.

It's strange isn't it? To others, myself included, I think a lean dog is a happy dog. At least, I think good body condition is one very important aspect of the health and well-being of a dog.

I was watching a beagle at our club yesterday, seriously over size height wize, but carrying far too much weight as well. I LOVE to see fit lean dogs of any breed, one of my pet hates is iverweight dogs.

Having Whippets I get it all the time from all sorts of people. The only people I don't get it from are my vets!! One in particular loves seeing my dogs as they are fit and lean.

Your dog will be far sounder for longer and is less likley to get arthritis and the many other issues that come with ebing obeses or over weight. I actually had to put some weight on mine when I showed them last week - not a lot but put some on them, and most of the other Whippets were still carrying more weight than mine, except for one.

I just my dogs they do obedience adn various other things I cannot and will not risk injuries due to excess weight.

Ignore the ignorant people and keep doing what you are doing as your dog is supposed to be a fit lean working dog.