The Heartlessness Of Some People

Dash

I need to vent about something that happened today which upset me so much I was shaking!

Not exactly dog related but I think everyone will sympathize!

I was driving along when I saw a big bird in the middle of the road, people were just swerving around barely missing it, at first I thought it was dead until it moved it's legged, it was such a strange thing that I was even driving down that road because I never take that road and it is very busy and heavily trafficked!

I stopped and put my hazard lights on and luckily had a towel in the car which I grabbed and went over to the bird, it was beautiful and black/blue with long legs, I think It was a water bird (if anyone has any idea what it is I'd like ideas!), it didn't look gold but I took it onto the side of the road and rang a vet so I could get him seen straight away, even though I was doubtful he would make it.

Everyone just kept driving past at full speed beeping there horns at me and getting annoyed! By this time I was on the verge of tears as the poor little guys head kept lolling over but I could feel a heartbeat so I kept going!

Got him into the car and flew (metaphorically speaking) to the vet!

By the time I got there I just burst into tears at the counter! Although he was a little brighter when I got him out of the car and he had done 3 big poos on the seat!

They said they would call and let me know how he goes as I said to do whatever they could to save him.

Still haven't heard anything and they are shut now so I am feeling very anxious!

Fingers crossed for the little guy, I really hope he pulled through!

The moral of this little story is I totally believe everything happens for a reason as if I hadn't been going that way today for my unknown reason that beautiful bird wouldn't have had a chance! People just don't seem to care about things like that. It makes me so sad to think no one would have stopped for this beautiful bird.

Good on you, Dash. I hope the bird pulls through but even if s/he doesn't, at least s/he is spared the trauma of being left on a road with cars whizzing past and potentially taking more injury and a painful death.

I am one who always pulls over if I have hit a bird and also will pull over when someone else has. Even just to make sure it is dead and not left to suffer. Last one was hit by a car in the lane next to me. It died instantly but its mate insisted on hanging around so I had to move the dead bird or its mate would have also been hit. It was so sad to see the mate appear seem so distressed.

Good on you, Dash. I hope the bird pulls through but even if s/he doesn't, at least s/he is spared the trauma of being left on a road with cars whizzing past and potentially taking more injury and a painful death.

I am one who always pulls over if I have hit a bird and also will pull over when someone else has. Even just to make sure it is dead and not left to suffer. Last one was hit by a car in the lane next to me. It died instantly but its mate insisted on hanging around so I had to move the dead bird or its mate would have also been hit. It was so sad to see the mate appear seem so distressed.

I wish there were more people like you in the world! I totally agree, even if he doesn't make it i feel better knowing he didn't suffer too much.

that would have been horrible seeing him distressed about his mate! Just proves they have feelings and emotions too!

I actually had a bird hit my car not long ago, I thought it was some kids throwing a rock but it was a beautiful Rosella, he was concussed badly and then started biting me ( feisty little bugger) when he came too, but I managed to get him to the vet and he was soon released! I just seem to be always in the right place at the right time! Lucky for the animals :confused:

Thanks everyone. Any ideas as to what s/he might be?

Not enough description but I was thinking Ibis. Although ours here are white (not sure we have black ones at all).

What was the beak like (length and colour) and how big was the bird?

Were the feet webbed?

Edited by Erny

Not enough description but I was thinking Ibis.

It was prob about 20-30cm long, short black beak almost like a magpies beak totally black with midnight blue feathers and longish legs with big long toes! Very cute!

It's a bit sad people don't stop, I think a lot of people wouldn't have a clue how to pick up a bird/large bird and then wouldn't know where to take it. (Even though it seems common sense).

Myself and another girl stopped at a huge intersection @ 7.30 one morning a poor galah was injured, bleeding and in the middle of a 2 lane right turning lane, it was so distressed about how to get back onto the median strip. :laugh: I spoke with the other girl who had no idea where a vet was but was going to try to find one, I grabbed it, it screamed all the way to work, mostly was just peeved at being wrapped up. :confused: . Unfortunately we had to put it to sleep.

We get lots of "Oh I found this bird but I'm not bringing it in- you'll kill it!!" :laugh: Um NO we send healthy or birds that can be rehab'd to carers, we actually don't like killing things!! But geez I would rather that galah had a peaceful way to go than being crunched by another car and a possible slow death. :laugh:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Heartlessness?

Maybe for some... I certainly do not stop on a busy road if I see a 'dead' bird .If I see one struggling, yes. But one lying there ..I presume severe injury leading to death , and don't stop.

Perhaps they thought it was dead, and there was nothing they could do?

roos I stop and do a pouch check, and pull bodies of emus/roos off the road so that vehicles do not hit them and cause an accident

Not enough description but I was thinking Ibis.

It was prob about 20-30cm long, short black beak almost like a magpies beak totally black with midnight blue feathers and longish legs with big long toes! Very cute!

Crow?

We spent an hour plus at the emergency vets last night with a 5 month old joey that was hit ,The people knocked on our door 10pm distressed (young boys)

Our rangers are good here but this one was still hopping.

So off we go doona in hand to catch roo,into dog crate & of to vet .

It was PTS as it snapped its major leg bone but atleast it didn't suffer.

We have had police come out & shot big roos with bones hanging out going crazy around the road & our ranger is able to shot them as well.

We also do pouch searches .

We stop within reason ,