Has Anyone Has A False Scan Reading ?

chook007

I have breed my bitch & when I took her for a scan at 28 days I was told by the vet she was not pregnant. She is now within a week of what would have been her due date & she is producing milk. I am a new breeder & know dogs can have a false pregnance & this may be what is going on .

Just wondered if anyone has ever had a neg scan & it turn out to be incorrect.

I have heard of them being scanned and showing nothing at an early date but going on to have puppies.

Can you feel any movement? You should be able to feel puppies moving around by now.

They can and do often have phantom pregnancies though!

I have not been able to feel any movement, but she has a heavy coat. I have not been looking for any signs of pregnancy since she had her scan as the vet said she could not see any puppies. It is really her teat development I have noticed in the past week & now lots of milk, her tummie is a little larger then normal, but she is not big round & full of puppies. If this does turn out to be a true preg I would think by looking at her tummy size she could only have 1 or 2.

I would x-ray her, then you will know for sure. My bitch was scanned not preg and had 6 puppies in a breed where 3-4 is normal

WOW how many days preg was your girl when you had her scaned ?

I have not really been looking at any preg signs since the scan. Last weekend we had her at the beach & I noticed then I was able to see her boobies hanging down & normally you can not see them for her heavy coat.

I had a bitch that didnt put on weight but developed boobs complete with milk. We thought for sure she would only have a small litter......the vet ultrasounded her at 8 weeks (I did want an x-ray, but he said U/S was better).......and no pups.

Had another one also scanned at 4 weeks and vet said no babies in there......not showing any other signs - but will find out in a few weeks if vet was wrong.

My bitch was scanned at 28days, no puppies. The vet did offer to do a re-scan in two weeks just to make sure so we're booked in this Thu. This bitch is proven, 2 previous litters, last one born Sept 09 but I've never used my boy before so who knows. I'm not getting my hopes up but gee it would be nice, this litters becoming more for his breeder than for me and I'm feeling the pressure because I want it all to be OK :)

Did your vet not offer to do another scan a fortnight after the first?

Do a relaxin test. You can't get a false positive then and no radiation dose :) And you'll have your result either positive and you're expecting or negative and you're not. Relaxin is only produced in the pregnant bitch hence you can not get a false positive.

Yes you can have a dog scanned and find that the bitch is pregnant anyway. Ultrasound is so user dependant.

Goodluck.

When I took her for her scan all 4 vets at the clinic looked at the scan & I was then told no sax were found & being a large dog they would be able to see puppies by now [28 days].

The vet did say I could come back in 2 weeks for another scan, but not much point as they were 99% sure she is not preg.

She would be at day 60 now if she was preg & the only sign is, she has milk. Has anyone had a case like that the dog is not preg but still has some milk ?? I feel her tummy & no sign of movement, she has put on a little weight, but she does not have a big puppie belly.

By day 60 would,nt she be nesting ?

Is the relaxin a blood test ?

When I took her for her scan all 4 vets at the clinic looked at the scan & I was then told no sax were found & being a large dog they would be able to see puppies by now [28 days].

The vet did say I could come back in 2 weeks for another scan, but not much point as they were 99% sure she is not preg.

She would be at day 60 now if she was preg & the only sign is, she has milk. Has anyone had a case like that the dog is not preg but still has some milk ?? I feel her tummy & no sign of movement, she has put on a little weight, but she does not have a big puppie belly.

By day 60 would,nt she be nesting ?

Is the relaxin a blood test ?

Even if she is nesting it doesn't mean there are any pups. I had a bitch nesting on and around her due date and no puppies. Just keep a close eye on her for the next week. JIC.