Starting Obedience With A Show Trained Dog.

Hi All,

We have just recently started obedience with our almost 2 year old boy who we show, just wondering how others went did you have any hiccups ? Does an automatic sit when you halt ever come or did you find your dog sitting in the show ring ?

We have found when at our classes when we are asked to stand our boy takes that extra step forward to square himself up and the instructor shouts out dont let him fiddle, l know he's not fiddling it's what he's been taught to do. Do you have different commands for showing and obedience ?

Any advice would be appreciated l dont want to confuse the poor bugger.

I don't show ... but I do have certain expectations of my dog that "don't fit" the general dog obedience classes.

I found it easiest to just talk to the instructor and make it clear what training the dog already has - and also what you expect to get out of the training.

I show my kids, to fill in time before they mature and hit the obedience ring. I have the opposite problem to you in that my kids default is a sit, so as soon as I come to a halt in the show ring - they plant their backsides on the ground. As you have already found when you stop - your fella will take a step forward and stand. My kids also struggle with the show examination.

As Fuzzey82 suggested its probably best to retrain your stand using another cue, but I would expect you to have a much better stand for exam than most obedience trained dogs as the obedience SFE is not so imposing as the show one.

I also found that with my show kids fast pace in obedience - they gaited beautifully whereas my kids that I didn't show tended to gallop in fast pace.

I do both with mine and have never had a problem with sitting in the ring or stand issues. My body language is very different in OB vs. showing so that helps. Also the type of collar and lead is different.

I agree though - if you are having trouble I would retrain those aspects with a different cue.

I show and train my GSD and have never had an issue between the two.

Like TerraNik, my body language is different and I use a flat collar in obedience and slip for showing. I also start training with "working" and showing with "showing" to emphasize the difference.

When stopping in the show ring, I always use "stand" and "stay" commands but my boy knows the difference. I have also taught him "turn" for the triangle.

Are you wanting to get obedience titles or just have a more obedient dog? If you are going to try trialling, you will need to listen to the instructor and correct what your dog is doing. If you are not going to trial, have a chat with your instructor and explain the situation. If the instructor still won't tolerate what's happening, try another class.

My boy loves stand for exam until the instructor walks off without doing the "show exam" (ie touching his bits) and he gives the instructor a look as if to say "you forgot something!"

I got Lewis at almost 8 months and he had never been taught sit. It really didn't take that long and now automatic sits come quite easily.

He also stands a lot more square in his stands than my bitch who was taught obedience first. HE was taught to plat his back legs then his front legs are the last to stop so while it isn't perfectly sqaure it is pretty close and he doesn't shuffle around to get there. In the show ring they power out in front and out from me, in obedience they look up and are very close to me.

I would change his stand word but as for the rest with time it will come. Most dogs will offer what they have been most rewarded for. For him the automatic stand is what he has had lots of rewards for. In time the sit will be the most rewarded exercise instead of the stand.

Lewis's stand for exam is rock solid, Rommi on the other hand.............

I agree with TN. I've never had a problem with sitting in the show ring - different leads, situational cues etc. One thing to think about is your footwork in obedience. I found Zig surged ahead a bit until I fixed my footwork - can't even remember what I was doing wrong to be honest because it's become second nature now. Be patient - you will get there :)

Thanks for the info and advice. ll will have to look at our leads l use a size appropriate check chain and lead for obedience and a dainty one for showing as he can be abit strong. We certainly have to use new cues l use stand and stay for showing.

Our sits will take awhile even when l guide him with my hands he looks at me as if to say, are you sure, l look better stacked :)

I started obedience with my show sibe when he was 3 (end of last year). I have found he is a lot more focused on me because of show training, and doesn't care about people/other dogs around us what-so-ever because of the show training.