Homeopathic Remedies

bark

Does anyone use any homeopathic remedies for heartworm or ticks?

Sometimes I wonder about giving the monthly commericial preventatives for worms, heartworms and ticks which are filled with chemicals and came across this website:

http://www.allnaturaldog.com.au/australian...lief-p-288.html

There are a few other homepathic suppliers and I'm interested to hear if anyone uses them, what it's for and whether it works.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I treated my old lab with homeopathic flea tablets for a few years. I wouldn't know where to get the same tablets now but all I can say is he never had a flea problem and after years on them he seemed to be almost immune to fleas, even without the tablets. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say and/or feedback if you do try them. It may be too risky though for ticks and heartworm where at least fleas won't kill a dog.

Thanks for that link, I might try the grass allergy remedy as we live with that problem with two dogs and so far have only been able to 'manage' it.

Edited by LabTested

I would never risk the health of my dogs by using homeopathy, especially for things that have the potential to kill dogs such as heartworm or paralysis ticks. I class homeopathy as a pseudoscience, it has no scientific basis and its efficacy has never been substantiated.

I don't agree with giving combined monthly treatments to dogs, but I do give heartworm preventatives during the summer months, worm three times a year and treat for fleas if necessary although I haven't had a flea here for years.

Hi Bark, yes I have used homeopathic remedies on my dogs for many years, with great success. I purchase my remedies from http://www.holisticanimalmedicines.com/. Also, more recently, from http://www.healwithease.com/

I have had great support and advice from them, and thanks to their products, my dogs have maintained excellent health.

If you have any doubts, I am sure that if you contact them, they will be happy to discuss anything you want to know.

I realise that there are many skeptics out there regarding homeopathy, but from my experiences, they have proved so valuable in assisting me, in particular with my female German Shepherd, who the vet. had told me would need to be put to sleep as there was nothing else that could be done. That wasn't good enough for me, and that is why I investigated natural remedies, and came upon Holistic Animal Medicines. I believe that their products saved my dog's life, and gave her several more years of quality, good health and happiness.

I use their products regularly, some every day, for example, for plaque on their teeth, and whenever I go to the vet. for their general check-ups, he always comments on the excellent condition of my dogs' teeth.

Hi bark I would definatley use homeopathy before the chemical treatments, and I know for a fact that homeopathy does work,

how would a dog get better from homeopathy, as our dog did if it is pseudocience.

Sorry Miranda can you prove that it doesn't work?

before big pharma took over medications people had to use natural cures.

lablove

Thank you shepherdpower for those links, we have just cured our shepherds UTI with homeopathic cures.

lablove

I have often thought about trying the Shoo Tag for ticks, but would only try it as a back-up for the Proban, as it states that it actually repels the ticks. Unfortunately, they also say that useing it with a chemical treatment, deminishes its effectiveness, so in actual fact, I would have to take her off Proban, to see if the tag would work, & I am not prepared to do that. :laugh: My daughter was given a bottle of something years ago which she gives to her two little dogs whenever she finds paralysis ticks on them & it works wonders, but not sure what it is.

I have used rose geranium oil/lavender oil mixture sucessfully to repel ticks, but it has to be put on the collar fresh every day, but I don't like collars & she hates the smell.

30 years ago, when we first moved to the farm, an old timer told us to give condies crystals to animals suffering tick paralysis. We saved many calves, cats & dogs over the years using this method, but I wouldn't risk it now, just in case. :rofl:

Hi bark I would definatley use homeopathy before the chemical treatments, and I know for a fact that homeopathy does work,

how would a dog get better from homeopathy, as our dog did if it is pseudocience.

Sorry Miranda can you prove that it doesn't work?

before big pharma took over medications people had to use natural cures.

lablove

No of course I cannot prove that it doesn't work because I've never tried it and never will, but I do have a friend who resorted to homeopathic remedies to control her asthma and nearly died, seems pretty conclusive to me :laugh:

The OP lives in Sydney which is a known heartworm/tick area and where fleas are common during the summer months. So, lablove, as you appear to have complete faith in the efficacy of homeopathy, are you prepared to personally recommend that the OP use homeopathic methods to prevent her dog from contracting heartworm and for keeping her dog free from fleas and paralysis ticks? Bearing in mind of course that both heartworm and paralysis ticks can, and often do, kill dogs.

I have often thought about trying the Shoo Tag for ticks, but would only try it as a back-up for the Proban, as it states that it actually repels the ticks. Unfortunately, they also say that useing it with a chemical treatment, deminishes its effectiveness, so in actual fact, I would have to take her off Proban, to see if the tag would work, & I am not prepared to do that. :laugh:

Shoo Tag is not Homeopathic.

Edited by MEH

I'm all for complementary treatments when all else fails or as safe preventatives however would not use them instead of something known to work when your dogs life is on the line.

Hi everyone,

homoeopathy (what translates to "similar desease") does work if done correctly. Very briefly: You treat the symptoms a dog has with a single remedy that is capable of producing the same symptoms in a healthy person/dog. You don't treat "deseases" as such you treat symptoms which is highly individual. Therefore, you can have 5 dogs that have the same diagnosis but all of them get different remedies for it. It does, however, not work preventative.

I personally would not call it homoeopathy if you recommend a remedy for a particular desease. :p And using a "blend" of 15 or 20 different remedies at once is certainly not homoepathy at all. :eek:

For example: the recommended website sells something called "constipatiuon relief" containing

Total Colon System CM, Nux Vom, Plum Met, Alumina, Op, Alumen, Mag Mur CM(chlori) with Tissue Salt, Silica, Ferr Phos, Calc Flour, Nat Mur, Nat Sulp in 6X, Graphites, Alumin Sil.Sulp 6X,12X,200C plus Silicea 10M (debility, nervous exhaustion) Belladonna 10M (anus prolapse, constipation)

containing 16 (!!!) different remedies some of which don't go very well together or are even antidots. Looking into my repertory the mere symptom "constipation" contains over 100 remedies. I wonder why these particular ones were picked and how that is still individual???

It's like using a shot gun to shoot a fly on the wall hoping that one would hit.

AND: normally a remedy should be given ONCE and then you see how the patient reacts to it. These type of remedies are to be taken daily. :laugh:

Another excurse: To get all the symptoms a remedy "produces" one has to do a so called "proving" which means that someone healthy takes that remedy in the same dosage every day for a period of time and writes down all the symptoms he produces. This gets done by a number of people and all symptoms everyone gets are rated high", symptoms only some get are rated "medium" and so forth.

Now I do not understand the logic in taking a (combination of) remedy (ies) in the same dosage every day to "treat" a condition... This has absolutely nothing to do with homoeopathy.

Sorry for the rant but I take homoeopathy very seriously and know what amazing results you can get. But it has to be done the correct way as Hahnemann tought it!

If any of you is actually interested in homoeopathy I can highly recommend reading the books from George Vithoulkas (A new model for health and disease or The science of Homoeopathy).

Cheers, Anissa

Miranda, it seems like your friend that almost died from homeopthic remedy , obviously didn't go to a qualified homeopath,as they dont just hand out remedys without they fully investigate your medical history, and any fears or phobias you may have, and they treat the whole body not just the symptoms you might have, and the remedy is tailored to your specific illness.

I have been to one, so I Know what is involved in making sure that they get the right diagnoses.

I had a relative and a friend that did die from Asthma and they wern't taking homeopathic remedys.

I dont think people that do a colledge course on homeopathy, would pay out thousands of dollars and do the amount of study that they do if it was bunkum.

And if you think homheopathy is bunkum then how come your friend got so ill.

And Kitteh as for James Randy I bet he is payed well by the big pharma,to discredit any natural cures.

I don't really care what chemicals people want to give their pets, but it makes me mad when people discredit natural cures especially when they haven't used them themselves.

lablove

If it works so well then why can't any scientific studies prove it does? There are none, zero, zilch. If there is an effect then it would be detected in double blind studies correctly controlled. The fact that the effect can't be replicated suggest the effect is a combination of placebo effect and just plain getting better. If you want to read all the arguments we had a mammoth thread not long ago. It is just water, you can't even detect any active compounds, shaken water is still just shaken water.

Homeopathy should not be classed as an alternative medicine and I feel it is important to give people both sides, especially when they are putting their animals at risk on the anecdotal word of someone else.

I don't think they work.

To my mind if they have worked, as we are led to believe for centuries, why do we need the

modern medicines of today to cure us. Wouldn't we all be taking the alternative.

My dog has never had fleas and he doesn't use hoemopathic or medical preventatives.

He does a nice poo every morning. By some people's logic on this thread I have just proven that nice poo's prevent fleas. He also likes to carry my knickers on his head, maybe this is what is keeping the fleas away?

But seriously, dogs die from heartworm. It is a horrible death. Not worth the risk IMO.

Are the people here who advocating it also advocating that the OP use it to prevent heartworm and paralysis tick? Do they know that the solution is something like 99.9999% water?

Edited by megan_

Thank you shepherdpower for those links, we have just cured our shepherds UTI with homeopathic cures.

lablove

How do you know the UTI didn't just clear up in due course? How do you know that one thing caused the other? Causality is a very hard thing to prove - that is why cigarette companies got away with killing people for so long.

Lablove, you're making some very big assumptions here, so let me give you some clarification:

James Randi: Here's some information on him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

He's put down a challenge to any homeopath in the world to prove to him, via a double blind study conducted by an independent authority, that homeopathy works. He'll pay them 1 million dollars for proving him wrong. How many have been successful? 0!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2002/homeopathy.shtml

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots...0,1260180.story

http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2011...meopathy-works/

People will spend thousands of dollars doing courses, because they believe in what is being taught. Doesn't make it factual or right.

I have tried homeopathy before Lablove and it did absolutely nothing for me.

I shouldn't have to believe in something for it to work. There are plenty of natural remedies out there that do work, so i don't feel the need to spend my hard earned cash on treatments that have no proven efficacy.

I have no problem with people wanting to use homeopathy. Great. Go for it. Just go into it with eyes open, is all.

My dog has never had fleas and he doesn't use hoemopathic or medical preventatives.

He does a nice poo every morning. By some people's logic on this thread I have just proven that nice poo's prevent fleas. He also likes to carry my knickers on his head, maybe this is what is keeping the fleas away?

But seriously, dogs die from heartworm. It is a horrible death. Not worth the risk IMO.

Are the people here who advocating it also advocating that the OP use it to prevent heartworm and paralysis tick? Do they know that the solution is something like 99.9999% water?

:)

Actually they can't even find 1 molecule of the active ingredient in these solutions!

Edited by Kitteh