Crystals In Urine

My 11 month old boy has just been diagnosed with struvite crystals in his urine. A urine sample was highly alkaline but there was no underlying infection. The vet has put him on a prescription diet (Royal Canin) and said he will have to be on this for the rest of his life. She said it will likely take about three months on the diet for the crystals to clear. He is to have nothing but this dry food; no chicken wings, no meaty bones, no BARF and no treats for training (his usual diet).

I've a few questions:

Has anyone else had experience with this?

How do I train without treats? (I clicker train)

I'm going to do some research but thought I'd see what info other DOLers may have. I have concerns about him being on this diet for a few months, let alone the rest of his life (but obviously I want what is best for him). It's going to be fun trying to feed one bones and not the other!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

He had x-rays, which didn't show any stones anywhere, haematology (sorry, don't know what this included), urine chemistry, urine specific gravity, urine sediment, electrolyte panel and general health profile (don't know what this included either). The culture on the urine; "Bacteria not isolated after 24 or 48 hours. Colony count <10 000 orgs/mL. Colony count is a standard count of bacterial cells in urine. Antibiotic activity negative. Antibiotic activity is a measure of the antibacterial effect of urine."

Does any of this help Rappie? Thanks.

The only effective treatment I know of is Traditional Chinese Medicine. I had a bitch with urine/bladder crystals that caused problems for about 2-3 years. Her untrasounds showed sediment like sand in the bladder. I was told it could not be cured and would probably eventually lead to bladder cancer.

A couple of months on chinese herbs got rid of the crystals completely and they never returned.

More recently a friends bitch was diagnosed with the same problem. Same treatment also cured her.

Feeding cooked barley and cranberry juice helps soothes the bladder if it is inflamed until you can get rid of the crystals.

Hi Lily

My desexed female Golden Retriever was diagnosed with bladder stones about two years ago, aged 7. A feature of her condition was struvite crystals in the bladder. She has been on Royal Canin Urinary ever since (both wet and dry foods) and the problem has not recurred. My vet said she would have to remain on this food for life, as the next step would be surgery if the crystals recurred. Fortunately she likes the RC Urinary - and doesn't the name makes it sound sooo appetising!!

I also have another Golden who does not have the condition. When I sneak her a bone or other treat I make sure the other is distracted somewhere else around the house or yard with a game or a good brushing. It's a pain separating them but it becomes second nature afetr a while!

I'm surprised you were only prescribed the dry food as the canned RC Urinary is exactly the same stuff except for moisture and texture and we were prescibed both right from the start.

Cheers.

I give my girl cranberry tablets as she was continually having UTI's,high Ph level and struvite crystals but no stones.

After 2 weeks everything was back to normal and no problems since...which has been 18 months :hug:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

dancinbcs - who prescribed the Chinese herbs (ie a vet)?

LabTested - I don't think so - the vet seemed very specific about NOTHING else but perhaps I could check out the ingredients. My boy likes high value treats at the best of times - he's just going to laugh if I offer him this dry food!

Curlybert - glad to hear your girl's doing so well. My boy doesn't like the food much - I'm hoping hunger will improve this.

CavsRcute - that's good news about your girl. What dose do you give and are they just the capsules you buy at the chemist?

dancinbcs - who prescribed the Chinese herbs (ie a vet)?

LabTested - I don't think so - the vet seemed very specific about NOTHING else but perhaps I could check out the ingredients. My boy likes high value treats at the best of times - he's just going to laugh if I offer him this dry food!

Curlybert - glad to hear your girl's doing so well. My boy doesn't like the food much - I'm hoping hunger will improve this.

CavsRcute - that's good news about your girl. What dose do you give and are they just the capsules you buy at the chemist?

My girl was treated by Dr Ann Neville, a vet that also does Chinese medicine at South Rd Animal Health, Bentleigh, Vic. She can consult by phone and by doing hair analysis if you can't get to her. I did this with a dog with cancer then took him to Melb to visit Ann after his successful treatment. I had his sister that had the bladder problem with me as well and that was when she started treating her. My friend's bitch was treated by Lynne Pinosa from Alternative Therapies in Austral, NSW. Lyn is a doctor of Chinese Medicine and is qualified to treat humans and animals. She also does phone consults.

I have a Pug girl who had strutvites which developed into stones. She had major surgery twcie beofre she came into rescue to have the stones removed from her bladder.

There is some thought that it is an egg and chicken thing, although in this case it is infection and alkilinity. Is it the alkilinity which causes the infections or the infections which cause the alkilinity. Either way, the urine being too alkaline causes the crystals and eventually the stones.

We needed long term anitbiotics to finally clear up Olivia's infection. She had several short courses, and within weeks the blood and straining was back and the urine ph at worriesome levels. We determined tha the infection had never cleared so she was put on 3 months of antibiotics after a culture to determine the extact bacteria.

She was also put on prescrptives CD kibble (for life).

For the first time in several years, this girl is crystal, stone and infection free and has been this way for over 12 months now.

She will remain on the kibble until she is no longer. I will not ever chance putting her through the pain and misery of what she has already experienced in her former home ever again. Her coat glows with health on this kibble. She is a bundle of energy and has never ever looked better. I give the kibble a thumbsup well and truly. :(

She came to me after she was taken to a Vet clinic, in a dreadful mess with stones and so badly infected she was actually leaking puss and her back end was stained yellow. She was going to be euthanased. :)

My other two are on a part raw and part commercial diet. Olivia is the only one obviously to eat her special kibble and she has nothing else. It is expensive, luckily she is only a little Pug, but it is worth it.

There are two manufacturers of kibble to suit this condition and they are both sold only through Vets. One brand (I think it is Eukanuba??) is cheaper than the other and I am yet to trial it.

Edited by ~Anne~

I just give her the ones from the health food store.

She weighs about 12 kgs amd i give her 5,000 ? units