Heeling Rules

Just wondering, when you do formal obedience, is there a rule that says you *have to* start with the left foot when heeling? I know it's conventional to start on the left foot, but I got in a discussion with my basic obedience trainer today and she says it's the rules, but I believe it's not, so just wondering if someone could settle that.

Would also appreciate a link to the rules...

Starting off with the left foot in earlier days of training/teaching helps the dog. It isn't a rule but I think it has been assumed that over the course of time and from one person repeating to another and another. Using either foot later on breaks down the visual cue and proofs the verbal command.

When i was learning it was left foot to start off heeling, right foot if you wanted a stay....worked well for me!

Yes this technique helps you if you want to go onto to doing Trials :)

I was taught this when I first started doing Obedience umpteen moons ago :eek:

Edited by murve

The trainer today also said to use left foot for heeling and right foot for staying.

Does it matter which leg it is, as long as you are consistent? How does using the left foot only help the dog more than using the right foot only?

The trainer today also said to use left foot for heeling and right foot for staying.

Does it matter which leg it is, as long as you are consistent? How does using the left foot only help the dog more than using the right foot only?

The left leg is the side that the dog is on - many people train the dog to focus on their left leg and follow their left leg when heeling, so stepping off on the left leg can be a cue to the dog (that is watching the left side of the handler).

Having said that, I start off on any old leg when I heel or leave my dog for a stay, and my girl copes.

It's probably helpful to the dog to be consistent about this when you're starting out, for the reason Staranais has given. Just to add an extra - it's handy when you're stopping for a position or a halt in heeling, to stop on your right and bring your left foot up to it - again - you don't have to, but for many dogs, it's helpful - gives them a wee bit more warning - assuming they're working to the left leg.

But for most dogs, once they really get the whole exercise, it probably doesn't matter.

Just to note - while the rules don't prescribe which foot, they do require that any signal (physical or verbal) be given at the same time - so you can't give your cue and then start moving.

I think being consistent about how you move helps the dog. It makes the signal clearer, and it's almost being able to signal in several different ways at once.

However since I practice heeling on both sides, the verbal and hand signals are more important because I don't always remember to lead off with the foot on the same side as the dog when I want her to come with me. And recently she's decided she gets better rewards if she does a nice wait/recall. So I lead off and she sits there waiting for the recall - jackpot treat. Sneaky puppy.