Tips For Taking Pup Camping?

kitkatswing

I take my 2 camping all the time. The others have put a list of what you should bring...

I would still put tick and flea treatment (no matter where you're going) though. Rather be safe than sorry.

My advice is not tether though... a pen or crate is much safer for the pup (and less headache for you). Especially for a small pup who loves exploring and doesn't realise what he is doing :thumbsup:

The long leash gets tangled, caught on things and it's much more of a hassle. We had Emmy tethered and spend most of the time supervising her and getting her untangled that we just put her in her crate because we were getting annoyed.

I would also suggest a crate instead of a tethering point. We had a puppy taken by Dingo's many years ago when I was a child, cause it was tied up. It happened in SECONDS, literally the blink of an eye, the dingo pack must've been watching for a day or 2 before making the attack. The ranger told us it had happened many times, wish he'd told us when we spoke to him when we first arrived :thumbsup: .

I would also suggest a crate instead of a tethering point. We had a puppy taken by Dingo's many years ago when I was a child, cause it was tied up. It happened in SECONDS, literally the blink of an eye, the dingo pack must've been watching for a day or 2 before making the attack. The ranger told us it had happened many times, wish he'd told us when we spoke to him when we first arrived :banghead: .

I agree....a metal crate is a must & get a canvas cover for it. Not sure how little your puppy is.( JRT??), but I have seen a goanna take a fully grown duck, & lost a cat once to a python. Then there are other things, like wedge tail eagles & wild dogs.

Have a great time camping. We go camping lots with my BC boy, & next month we will be taking our new addition to our family my little 'Stella' 4 month BC. Yes, I end up packing way more things for my furry kids than I do myself.A must from my experience is a crate. Tethering is too difficult when they are little. Everyone has pretty much covered what you will need. Life jackets are important ( we get laughed at by resident campers cause Sonny always has his life jacket on when we are out in the boat (which is his absolute fav thing to do) but as djf also said if there is a strong out going tide or alot of people out in there boats & they don't see your dog swimming or the dog simply tires, can't be too careful. Also no matter where we go I always have my dogs up to date with their Advantix & I also have them wear a Preventic tick collar as well in high risk tick area's, and just simply take it of before a swim.I always try not to let my furry kids wander or 'annoy' fellow campers or other people in general as we are not all animal lovers ( just think quietly to myself how much pleasure they are missing out on) :love: LOL

A great weekend camping was had by ALL!... Poor Maui was so tired when we got home yesterday afternoon he slept pretty much right through to 5:30 this morning :)

We didnt end up tethering him once, not on the lead. He stayed off leash the entire time. (Well, except when I had to go to the loo and he wanted to come too, then he went on lead with my mum. Oh and when our friends young girl took him for a walk around the park!)

He made lots of new friends, including my mates two greyhounds, who Maui just loved playing with, although the greyhounds just enjoyed sleeping and letting him run over them...

At nighttime we came up with a brilliant idea, we got two glowsticks and put them around his neck as a nother collar. Could see where he was at all time :thumbsup: Not that he moved far, when the sun went down he usually jumped on my lap and curled into a ball or he spread out near the fireplace and snoozed.

He was a little car sick on the way home, but managed to hold it until I opened the window and he was sick out of the window... (thankfully it was in stopped traffic).

He ate too much, we had to politly tell people to stop feeding him! He is NOt going to like going back to puppy food from now on... :(

It was a fabulous weekend and I cant wait to show you allt he photos once I upload them :(