Pulling When He Sees Other Dogs

As the title suggests, we have a problem where he pulls like a freight train when he sees other dogs on our walk.

Generally speaking, he walks nicely beside me during our walks with the occasional pull when he picks up a scent etc. I always carry a pocketful of treats and reward loose lead walking, but when he spots another dog approaching i could wave a t-bone steak in front of his nose and it won't make a difference. He gets up on his back legs and totally pulls towards the other dog. He is not aggressive, has never been in any scuffles whatsoever, just super keen to meet and play with other dogs. I can imagine from the other owners perspective that this behavior comes across as aggressive and i would like to put a stop to it.

What have i tried? i always spot the approaching dog before he does, and i remain calm with a loose lead. the second he spots the other dog i give him a sharp tug, but he continues to pull. i've tried the ceaser milan finger jab, calling his name, turning the opposite direction... no good. the only solution is to physically restrain him until the dog passes. We also practice the TOT during meal times at home.

when we practice basic obedience at home, i can keep his focus on me, but outside the home not so well.

any suggestions?

Preferably a good trainer. Do you go to obedience school?

Otherwise- a front attaching harness combined with Leslie McDevitt's "Look at That game". There should be some youtube videos to help you understand what to do.

Preferably a good trainer. Do you go to obedience school?

We did attend obedience school in the beginning, but found that we weren't getting much out of them. the groups were large, and the volunteer trainers were doing their best, but it was quite repetitive and there wasn't an opportunity to focus on problem areas one on one.

Can anyone recommend a good trainer on Sydney's Northern Beaches?

i would tell your dog to sit and wait until you released him to go say hello, or sit and stay until the dog walked passed and rewarded both behaviours?

works for my dogs when on a walk in a busy area with people letting my dogs jump on them on purpose, drives me nuts so they must wait until i say they can go approach people wanting to pat them.

Edited by catherine.b

Find a good trainer. Learn how to be the most interesting thing around to your dog. If your dog is not taking food and unable to respond to you he is way over threshold. Increase your distance from the other dogs. You need to react to the situation before your dog has an oportunity to pull away from you. Here are some links that may help you in the meantime.

Here

Kikkopup

any suggestions?

Yep :banghead: get a good trainer to show you in person . Working with a trainer one-on-one will help you and your dog understand more of how the other operates, and will give you strategies tailored to your dog and the situation .

As the title suggests, we have a problem where he pulls like a freight train when he sees other dogs on our walk.

Generally speaking, he walks nicely beside me during our walks with the occasional pull when he picks up a scent etc. I always carry a pocketful of treats and reward loose lead walking, but when he spots another dog approaching i could wave a t-bone steak in front of his nose and it won't make a difference. He gets up on his back legs and totally pulls towards the other dog. He is not aggressive, has never been in any scuffles whatsoever, just super keen to meet and play with other dogs. I can imagine from the other owners perspective that this behavior comes across as aggressive and i would like to put a stop to it.

What have i tried? i always spot the approaching dog before he does, and i remain calm with a loose lead. the second he spots the other dog i give him a sharp tug, but he continues to pull. i've tried the ceaser milan finger jab, calling his name, turning the opposite direction... no good. the only solution is to physically restrain him until the dog passes. We also practice the TOT during meal times at home.

when we practice basic obedience at home, i can keep his focus on me, but outside the home not so well.

any suggestions?

What is happening here basic is the dog is learning that life is good outside on the walk, interesting smells, other dogs, and he like to investigate is normal for the dog, like the child in a candy store, all is exciting yes?.

Ok, you need for the dog to learn that you as his master is the most exciting, but he cant learn this properly if he get the pleasure from the smells and other dogs because he learns self pleasure. So, he says to himself, if I pull hard enough I get to sniff this exciting smell and visit this dog over here so that is what I going to do. The master he/she is good when nothing better is around, but he says, that smell and that dog is so lovely, much better than my master and a treat.

So, the dog he can choose for himself which is most lovely, to pull hard on the leash and hope to reach the exciting smell or the other dog, or he stay at the masters side and be a good boy. Now, the dog needs to learn that pulling towards the dog or smell is not so lovely after all and to stay by the masters side and be a good boy is best choice, so introduction of something not so good for him when pulling to self pleasure.

But, to teach the dog to be a good boy and walk with the loose leash, very much must be consistancy is the most important. You cant have the dog ok to pull for sniffing, then not for other dog, you have no pulling never so the dog learns that on the leash pulling is not allowed ever, very naughty to pull and the dog he will learn this and learn that is the lovely is to walk beside his master and behave.

Joe

Why on this adds here people ask about training and the most response is getting a trainer, and asking myself why is this?. Is very good to talk about training and much we learns from that. Yes, obviously should get a trainer, but is good to chat about the training too, just my opinion I am thinking for some knowledge widen for everyone.

Joe

Talking about training is fine, being able to effectively read the dog and apply appropriate techniques depending on the situation is a completely different matter and takes experience. I would rather see someone recommended to see an appropriate trainer than have them attempt methods and training techniques above there level of experience.

When he starts pulling and won't respond to treats he is 'above threshold'. There is no point trying to teach him anything in that state. To work on it, you need to keep him at a distance where he is below threshold and gradually decrease the distance between you and the other dog. When he is focusing on you, or looking *calmly* at the other dog without pulling, he gets rewarded. If he becomes unresponsive you are too close.

Sometimes, fuzzy, you could be me. I mean that in the nicest possible way! You said it all. :)

I fail to see the similarities. If Fuzzy82 was anything like you there post would have been 10 times longer, they would of made an association between training dogs and training wild hares and they would of thrown in random links to Panksepp. :love:

Sometimes, fuzzy, you could be me. I mean that in the nicest possible way! You said it all. :)

I fail to see the similarities. If Fuzzy82 was anything like you there post would have been 10 times longer, they would of made an association between training dogs and training wild hares and they would of thrown in random links to Panksepp. :love:

:) I'm sorry Corvus!!

Talking about training is fine, being able to effectively read the dog and apply appropriate techniques depending on the situation is a completely different matter and takes experience. I would rather see someone recommended to see an appropriate trainer than have them attempt methods and training techniques above there level of experience.

Mr Jeff, how are you again. My difference is if someone is smart to come on here and ask a question with the training, I would not think of them as too stupid to accept and answer, yes? Niether, I think is pulling on the leash is rocket science to explain for somebody to understand, very basic behavior that most dogs do to pull on the leash at some time. I agree is sensitive perhaps if somebody dogs wants to bite old ladys on a walking stick, maybe then we butt out for a trainer to assessment of the dog, but pulling on the leash Mr Jeff, my opinion is worthy to discuss, why not?

Joe

When he starts pulling and won't respond to treats he is 'above threshold'. There is no point trying to teach him anything in that state. To work on it, you need to keep him at a distance where he is below threshold and gradually decrease the distance between you and the other dog. When he is focusing on you, or looking *calmly* at the other dog without pulling, he gets rewarded. If he becomes unresponsive you are too close.

Yes, to use the carrot is very good, but to avoid the threshold thinking nothing can be teached is only happening because there is no stick which must be used also. Some dogs can be trained with only the carrot, but most need the carrot and the stick to have the best from the dog.

Joe

Mr Jeff, how are you again. My difference is if someone is smart to come on here and ask a question with the training, I would not think of them as too stupid to accept and answer, yes? Niether, I think is pulling on the leash is rocket science to explain for somebody to understand, very basic behavior that most dogs do to pull on the leash at some time. I agree is sensitive perhaps if somebody dogs wants to bite old ladys on a walking stick, maybe then we butt out for a trainer to assessment of the dog, but pulling on the leash Mr Jeff, my opinion is worthy to discuss, why not?

Joe

Mr Joe, I am fine...:love: I do not believe because someone is capable of posting on an online forum that they have the ability to be able to successfully diagnose there dogs behaviour and apply a training method which they do not have experience in. Whilst this is a fairly minor problem, it could be complicated through inappropriate training techniques and the handlers inability in applying them. For this reason I always suggest people contact an appropriate trainer and if possible make personal recommendations.

And as other posters have suggested I recommend they contact K9 Pro...

Edited by Jeff Jones

Joe

Mr Joe, I am fine...:love: I do not believe because someone is capable of posting on an online forum that they have the ability to be able to successfully diagnose there dogs behaviour and apply a training method which they do not have experience in. Whilst this is a fairly minor problem, it could be complicated through inappropriate training techniques and the handlers inability in applying them. For this reason I always suggest people contact an appropriate trainer and if possible make personal recommendations.

And as other posters have suggested I recommend they contact K9 Pro...

See Mr Jeff, you do agree with me the pulling on the leash is minor, yes nothing for the rocket sience so is no worries. Even my english is still learning properly, I see in the add easy the dog pulls for a sniff, pulls to play with the dog, normal dog behavior and not in one second do I think the person who post the add did not give a clear understanding of the dog what he does. Of course get a trainer, but maybe they have no money for trainer now and just ask for little help who knose?. I make my comment beacuse so many of the adds for training just say get a trainer. Perhaps I am thinking on the training colum just have in the big letters GET A TRAINER and we all shutup. I am joking about the big letters, but is good to have training chat, ok maybe I am wrong?

We chat a again Mr Jeff, have a good one

Joe

Why on this adds here people ask about training and the most response is getting a trainer, and asking myself why is this?. Is very good to talk about training and much we learns from that. Yes, obviously should get a trainer, but is good to chat about the training too, just my opinion I am thinking for some knowledge widen for everyone.

Joe

I'm pretty wary about people giving specific advice on a public forum about either corrections or aggression, there is just too much potential for things to go wrong.

I think it is good and useful to talk about these things in general. But a forum is a tricky medium to give advice on - you may give the wrong advice (due the owner describing the problem incorrectly), or the owner might misinterpret what you say, or they may understand what you say but not have the skill to competently do what you advise.

You're right that pulling on the leash is a minor problem compared to many, but giving a correction is a skill to learn hands-on I think, not by experimentation. Some soft dogs will crumble if you over-correct them, many dogs will get confused or upset if you correct them unfairly or at the wrong time, some owners lack the experience to tell these things are happening until too late.

You sound pretty knowledgeable, though, so I look forward to you sharing your advice. Can I ask, what's your background in dog training? :love: