Old Dog

LouiseBrooks

Miss Lillie the Pink is a senior dog and has always been very clean. Even when our yard was under water she was the only dog that actually tried to swim to higher ground for her abulutions. She is also at least 8 times older than the other furkids :) they just wizzed on the puppy pads that I had in fact laid out for her.

In the last week this has changed, for example this morning she sat on my bed as usual waiting for her morning snack, when I came back she had wet the bed.

Now this is so unlike her that I watched her all day and she made frequent stops to the loo, not even on the emergency pads but here and there.

Can they change their habits so quickly or would this be a kidney infection, I am taking her the the vets tomorrow morning just in case.

I was also wondering if it this could mean she has lost the last of her sightt, as yesterday afternoon she did go outside but had difficulty finding the pet door. Could this have caused her to become fearful of going outside.

I may start taking her outside in the morning and before she goes to sleep at night. I know you can get belly bands for the boys is there a pantie for dogs.

Mind you I cannot see the feisty littile biddy keeping it on.

Any suggestions folks?

Iam dreading this winter for her.

I take my old girl out last thing at night. If I dont she will wet her bed. I always ask her in the mornings if she wants to go outside, sometimes she does, she then comes back in to sleep till the morning walk. Are you sure she hasn't a urinary tract infection.

Frequent pee-stops are normally a red flag for urinary tract infection LB.

Incontinence (as far as I have seen in oldies) includes wetting the bed in their sleep and sudden 'leaks' rather than having time to squat properly.

Both are treatable. :hug:

I've been through this with a couple of old female dogs, one had kidney issues and the other had incontinence. Both went on meds and both had no more issues.

Both were clean and housetrained girls so I didn't know what was going on at first. A visit to the vets and some simple tests will sort this out for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Frequent accidents were our sign that Emma had diabetes. She was first being treated for incontinence and then we subsequently found out a few weeks later that she had become diabetic. Apparently it can also be related to Cushings.

I have towels folded in 1/2 with a puppy pad in the middle everywhere that Em regularly sleeps. Plus I have bought the Connie mats for her. We don't have the problem at the moment but it's always good to be prepared!!! And you can get "doggy diapers", I have to say they're going to be a last resort for Em!!

Hope you've found out what was going on with her!