Which Option For Importing Would You Choose

heroeswit

which option  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which Would you choose to import?

• Puppy at 8 weeks no health testing
    • Young breeding dog with complete teeth
    • Young breeding dog with complete teeth, X-ray monitoring of hips and elbows of young (maximum to grade 1/ B)

I'm going to import a White Swiss Shepherd from the Czech Republic I have found a breeder I really like and she has 3 options for puppy purchase

A: Puppy with export pedigree, microchip with 1 vaccination, regular worming, 8 weeks of age

B: Young dog for breeding with complete teeth

C: Young dog for breeding with complete teeth, X-ray monitoring of hips and elbows of young (maximum to grade 1/ B)

My vet recommends C because of the Hip and Elbow and teeth guarantee.

I'm wondering which option you would choose.

The dog will be ANKC re-registered.

Edited by dwilds

I'm going to import a White Swiss Shepherd from the Czech Republic I have found a breeder I really like and she has 3 options for puppy purchase

A: Puppy with export pedigree, microchip with 1 vaccination, regular worming, 8 weeks of age

C: Young dog for breeding with complete teeth, X-ray monitoring of hips and elbows of young (maximum to grade 1/ B)

easily C and I would speak to the WSS breeders here too, Angela Sneddon is very good.

easily C and I would speak to the WSS breeders here too, Angela Sneddon is very good.

Thanks for your comment. I have been speaking with Angela for a while now and she has been such great help with helping me decide on the right lines and letting me know of any crossovers in the lines of dogs already in Australia.

Thanks for your comment. I have been speaking with Angela for a while now and she has been such great help with helping me decide on the right lines and letting me know of any crossovers in the lines of dogs already in Australia.

Thats great she is very knowlegealbe and it is a big step in importing and especially a new breed, all the very best with your import, trust me once is never enough!@ lol

I don't think A is an option anyway. The pup needs to stay for rabies vaccs and titires before shipment. It's one reason shipping from Europe to Australia is a pain in the arse and a "risk" for the exporter.

Edit: Just saw Lolapalooza has made the same point upthread.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I prefer an adult. I imported a Newfoundland puppy from the UK in the 80's. He developed entropians and I got surgery for the eyes, desexing and he dropped dead on the table. Autopsy showed he had sub aortic stenosis. Of course there are risks with adults but there are far to many variables in a puppy for me to even consider a big investment of importing from another country.

I don't include NZ in that equation because buying and importing from there is much lower in costs.

Edited by whippets

I have imported a number of dogs over the years.

For a first import, I would strongly recommend a young adult male, that is fully health tested and have the semen checked too.

It is a huge investment of money time and emotion. So play it safe.

While I will never be likely to be in the position of importing a dog if I was I would go for a young proven adult and would consider something abit older (maybe 3+) so that I could see what it produced especially if I was hoping for it to be a big influence on my breeding. Also by the time the dog has matured you will be aware of most faults as well as good points and know wether it is a worthwhile breeding prospect. Why pay all that money to have a young promising pup or imature dog not turn out a good adult or have a dog you can't breed on from or can't produce anything worthwhile. I know it only provides 50% of the equation but does it show a strong influence on any pups produced. There are enough variables involved without weighing the odds against yourself.

You cant import the baby dog before atleast 9 months old anyway so you would need to find someone to run on all the choices for another 6 months to do all the rabies vacc/titres

If I chose the puppy it would be able to stay with the breeder and she would show the puppy while it is over there and would cover the showing cost from the boarding fee she charges

In my breed, I'd do B. In breeds where hips are a problem, I'd do C.

It's a lot of money to import to end up with a dog that is unsuitable to breed from.

Hi in my breed hips are a problem so I most likely will go for option C

I have imported a number of dogs over the years.

For a first import, I would strongly recommend a young adult male, that is fully health tested and have the semen checked too.

It is a huge investment of money time and emotion. So play it safe.

Why do you recommend a male also what about females?

Thanks everyone for your comments so far

Thanks Everyone for your comments and votes.

I'm going to go with option C as the dog is still from the same litter as I'm interested in so the is one decision made. Now I just have to find out what she is charging for what before I give her my definite answer.