Neutered Classes

Ceilidh

Guest Panzer Attack!

1. Do you think it is a fun thing for the pet or a serious title for a good specimen of the breed?

Definitely should be taken just as seriously as 'normal' shows.

2. Do you think the dog should be in peak condition or just an oldie who you think likes to show?

My pup is getting desexed on Monday due to a teeny tiny issue with his bits but apart from that is a gorgeous looking dog that I intended to show. So now I can, and it makes me happy :) He's a lovely little Pap and showing in neuter will hopefully prepare me for my next entire dog, and will also be a great introduction to the ring.

3. Will you be upset if you come up against Champions or Grand Champions?

No... it's the same as a normal show, right?

I can't wait to neuter show :D

E x

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you who are keen to enter neutered classes to obtain a Neutered Champion... What 'sort' of dogs do you think this means you show?

1. Do you think it is a fun thing for the pet or a serious title for a good specimen of the breed?

A bit of both... a lot of show dogs ARE pets, and the desexed ones usually have their reasons. Retired, rehomed after a showing career, or maybe the ease of being able to enter other competitions without having to worry about seasons or entire male behaviour. As part of our social club we encourage our members to get into activities that might interest them... if they have a dog that is eligible for showing, we encourage and help them along - we gain permission from their breeder, help them with their membership and transfer to the neuter register, etc. We hope that we will encourage them to the point where they might get their next Weimaraner on MR and show, therefore increasing numbers and encouraging new blood in the sport.

2. Do you think the dog should be in peak condition or just an oldie who you think likes to show?

i think they should be in peak condition - however the grooming aspect does cut out a lot of breeds that suffer the very awful "spay coat"... there is no way i could put a neutered Setter into a show, for example, unless months of hard work and a judges understanding of the oddities of spay coat were there.

3. Will you be upset if you come up against Champions or Grand Champions?

No - they have as much right as anyone else to be there.

The last neuter class that was in a show, our club sponsored... however only our breed entered (it was a gundog show)!! however the previous all breeds show with this class got a supportive entry across all groups and happily, the weimaraner owned by a club member we encouraged to give showing a try, won Neuter in Show :)

Edited by SparkyTansy

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. The reason I posted this was because I was seeing some very old dogs, some obviously 'pet' dogs ( I don't mean this derogetry, just that they look like dogs that breeders have sold as pets because they didn't shape up0 for the show ring (that is what we all do)), some dogs that were overweight and some not groomed very well. I have to say that I thought this very disappointing. Now a days I am seeing better specimens but they are still thin on the ground. Thanks again.

I agree....a few shows I attended, I felt VERY out of place....to me, it was a vetrans class, not a neuter show. Dogs that should have been groomed by hand, were done with clippers for example. The show SHOULD be the same as any other show, including HOW a dog is to be presented...if it's correct for the all breed show, it should be the same for the neuter class held within that same show.

I have had MANY uplifted eyebrows when asked how old my girl is.....judges are getting used to hearing 10 or 8 years of age....when they hear 2 1/2, they don't know how to react (or this was what was happening the first few neuter shows I went to) They then asked WHY my girl was in this class and I told them, which usually results in :eek: which is quite funny. Lets face it, not many will admit that they have a hemaphrodite!! (and less will actually do the right thing and neuter it when they find out!)