Neutered Classes

Ceilidh

To those of you who are keen to enter neutered classes to obtain a Neutered Champion... What 'sort' of dogs do you think this means you show?

1. Do you think it is a fun thing for the pet or a serious title for a good specimen of the breed?

2. Do you think the dog should be in peak condition or just an oldie who you think likes to show?

3. Will you be upset if you come up against Champions or Grand Champions?

After doing my first catalogue that includes neutered dogs I am just curious.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I think all showing should be fun but the dog should be a good speciman of the breed, that, if it wasn't neutered, could be shown entire.

2. Dog should be in peak condition.

3. In my breed that is pretty rare anyway but no it wouldn't bother me. It happens if you are showing an entire dog why should it be different for a neuter?

I think neuter classes are great as long as the dog is up to show standard. Not everyone wants to deal with an entire dog so it's a way people can get involved, as long as the dog is suitable.

1. I think all showing should be fun but the dog should be a good speciman of the breed, that, if it wasn't neutered, could be shown entire.

2. Dog should be in peak condition.

3. In my breed that is pretty rare anyway but no it wouldn't bother me. It happens if you are showing an entire dog why should it be different for a neuter?

I think neuter classes are great as long as the dog is up to show standard. Not everyone wants to deal with an entire dog so it's a way people can get involved, as long as the dog is suitable.

I agree with this completely.

I'd love to be able to enter Archie, my daughter's cavalier, in a lot more shows. His breeder thinks he is the bee's knees and was kicking herself for rehoming him.

I think the dog still needs to be a nice example of the breed. Neutered or not, they are still being judged against the breed standard. Wouldn't bother me to go up against Champions or Grand Champions, if they are neutered they have just as much right to be in the class as any other dog. My boy gained his Champion title before being neutered, and I plan on showing him in the Neuter class just for the sheer fun of it.

I agree with everyone so far. I absolutely think they should be in top condition and a good example of the breed. It's perfect for dogs like my boy, who had to get desexed due to an undescended testicle or other health reasons.

I show my desexed ex showdogs in neutered classes when we go to the Northern Territory.

My 9 year old GSD won open Neuter at the Darwin Royal one year and Oliver has a few neuter certs and picked up a couple of open neuter in group and show and I have been asked by various judges why he was desexed lol.

They come with us when we go away so it is easy to enter them as well and they seem to enjoy it.

1. Do you think it is a fun thing for the pet or a serious title for a good specimen of the breed?

A bit of both, it's the same for me as showing in "regular" classes.

2. Do you think the dog should be in peak condition or just an oldie who you think likes to show?

If they are going to be show dogs then they must be presented as show dogs, well groomed, fit and healthy.

No, my dog is a Champion so would be a bit hypocritical.

I want to continue to show as him as I enter my other two and he comes along anyway. It's why I would rather enter away shows that offer the class rather then closer ones that don't, he loves being shown and is a good example of the breed.

this is my opinion

To those of you who are keen to enter neutered classes to obtain a Neutered Champion... What 'sort' of dogs do you think this means you show?

fun thing for me but I also would only show a good speciman of the breed and intend to with my female golden retreiver. when I got her I knew nothing about showing and only wanted a pet. If I got her now it would be different, I woudn't have desexed her and would have shown her as I now have friends who show. My girl has been described to me by a person who shows and breeds show winning golden retreivers "a stunning example of the breed and her breeder chose the wrong pup to keep and show - I told her to choose her (being my dog) not her litter mate".

nope, peak condition although my dog will be nearly six if I ever get her trained up for a show. In the meantime we are enjoying attending the show classes.

I have mixed feelings about this but I guess if you only want the best specimans in neuter classes it shouldn't be a problem.

All excellent questions Ceilidh, and I totally get why you would be asking.

My responses below...

For me, showing is both serious and fun with entires and I expect it to be almost exactly the same when showing my neuter bitch in neuter classes. I guess i am expecting it to have a slightly more relaxed feeling and a bit more affectionately received by the onlookers (if there are any), but basically the same. I am seriously wanting my girl to obtain the title, but in a fun way, if that makes sense. :hug:

I also have absolutely no problems with pet owners joining in. The more the merrier I say.

Absolutely I believe the dog should be in the best possible condition it can be in for it's age and considering it is neutered. In a lot of the larger breeds and some of the smaller breeds that carry a lot of testosterone based muscle, neutering will affect the entire dog, particular over time. This is a visual physiological difference, that is an never ending battle to stay on top of, but i do my best. My girl is an oldie, and all considered I believe she looks pretty good. I will interested to hear any comments and see how she is received by the judges.

Having said this, if she was entire and younger and looked the way she does now, I would not be stacking her up against open bitches in their prime. She just would not cut it.

No. I hope we do have competition. My girl is a Champion, albeit it a title she received a long time ago. Bring the competition on i say.

I am so excited to be doing our first neuter class soon. My girl will be so happy to be in the ring again. I just know she will feel so special. I will be fighting back the tears of joy to see her so happy. She nearly died 3 years ago and we are lucky she is so well and happy now. :( So, if anyone sees this crazy lady running an older Rotti bitch in a neuter class soon, with tears rolling down her face, now you know why :(

Edited by dyzney

I think it's a bit of both. My bitch is titled and now desexed. She's far from being the best specimen of the breed, so she was desexed.

She was, and still is, absolutely confident in the fact that shows are put on as a social outing for her :( She would get all excited when I was getting my dog ready for shows and would look dejected when she was left at home (yep, I'm probably anthropomorphising here).

She'll be with me for the rest of her life. As I don't have the time or space for large numbers of dogs, the two I have are the two I show.

Definitely peak condition.

Not at all.

Edited cause I can't spell :hug:

Edited by itsmeg

Meg, I would like to think that you, and others here, have nailed it.

When not all our Darwin shows have 7 dogs out there for Class in Show I am very proud of the Open Neuter class. The supporters deserve a big pat on the back. I particularly love that you are supportive of each other's dogs.

I am about to start neuter showing with a Lab.. to me its a good slightly more relaxed way to starting to learn about the show ring me personally dont care about the titles as this is my first attempt at showing a dog so I am more using this opportunity to gain expierence and a better idea of what its all about before getting my own show puppy in the future.

But having said that before I even considered actually showing him I did ask a few breeders if they thought that he would be suitable to show. I treat Banjo as if he was going into a regular class, make sure he is in top shape and that hisn coat and body is in good condition as even as a neuter your in there representing a breeders work as well as the breed so if your showing a 2nd rate or not to standard dog it is giving the public a poor representaion of the breed.

I wouldnt be upset coming up against Champions or Grand Champions as they have as much right to be in the ring as I do, its like competeing in a regular class you come up against dogs wth all sorts of fancy titles its just someone else for you to compete against.

I'm in the same position as itsmeg.

My now neutered dog didn't quite make his Ch title before he was neutered (99!!). He was out of the ring for around 18 months before neuter titles were bought in. He got a bit worked up when he saw me preparing Portia for a show and he didn't get to come, so he was ecstatic when he was allowed to come again. This boy just loves the ring. He's very reserved as a rule, but when he gets in the ring he becomes a completely different dog.

I do keep him in as good a condition as when he was being shown previously.

And not at all concerned if he came up against titled competition in the neuter class.

It is fun, but showing should be anyway. Yes it's a serious title, as serious as this dog show stuff should get but that depends on who you talk to! and yes, it should be always about the correct specimen for the breed. The only difference between the neuter and the regular classes should simply be that the dog is missing some reproductive parts.

If the above is still met, in either question then the answer is yes. It's the same question asked of the veterans....the old dog which simply because its' the oldest in the line up winning, or the best example of the senior dogs.

I am showing a champion to her neuter champion title out of respect for the dogs breeder, the dog is a decent example of the breed (she won quite a few class in groups during her regular showing) and is in great shape and loves to show. It's no different I guess than some people that bitch when their class/non titled dog is in against a grand champion who gets the challenge every weekend. May the better dog win and that's up to the judge.

I think they should be no different to the entire dogs entered, except they have been neutered.

1. Do you think it is a fun thing for the pet or a serious title for a good specimen of the breed? I think it could be both. It can be fun, providing the dog is a quality specimen. For pet people they would probably consider it a serious title. Me personally I wouldnt bother showing a dog to its neuter champion, but have no issues with those that do/would.

2. Do you think the dog should be in peak condition or just an oldie who you think likes to show? Peak condition no matter what age. Oldies are fine, providing they are in good enough condition to compete.

3. Will you be upset if you come up against Champions or Grand Champions? No I wouldnt but Im not sure why a Champion or more so a grand champion would bother to go for a neuter title.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

I have seen some lovely neuters, who have been neutered for health reasons. Their breeding ability is a great loss to each of their respective breeds and I'm very pleased that they are being offered the chance to become Champions, albeit neutered Champions.

Always remember that the Challenge Certificate for a neuter reads the same as a Challenge Certificate for an entire dog. The Judge still signs after it says "I am clearly of the opinion that this exhibit is of such outstanding merit as to be worthy to qualify for the title of 'Champion'" :laugh:

Edited by Havasneeze

My best most successful girl had a pyo and we spayed her as there looked like there would be other complications and at the time it was the best thing for her health even though she had never had babies.

She is still beautiful and fit and we will be out showing as a Neuter (her not me haha) soon, cant wait to have her out again.

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of showing Nuetered dogs' could somebody please give some sugestions re my situation. I have a male dog that as a young dog had a lump in one testicle and as a safety precaution, advised by my vet had the testicle removed, leaving him with one testicle. With vetinary evidence i approached Dogs' nsw re showing of this dog. I was expectedly informed that the breed standard stipulates the need to be entire which is fine. I understand that the object of these regs' are to ensure that the top quality dogs can be bred and continue to pass on their breed improvements etc. We all know what a farce that object is when you see some of the specimans of the various breeds that are being awarded titles regularly week after week. In my own case the dog concerned having one testicle, able to reproduce does' not qualify for either class . What choice do I have if I wish to show this dog who apart from the stated is a solid breed speciman.Comments please.as i think this is an interesting position.

On the subject of showing Nuetered dogs' could somebody please give some sugestions re my situation. I have a male dog that as a young dog had a lump in one testicle and as a safety precaution, advised by my vet had the testicle removed, leaving him with one testicle. With vetinary evidence i approached Dogs' nsw re showing of this dog. I was expectedly informed that the breed standard stipulates the need to be entire which is fine. I understand that the object of these regs' are to ensure that the top quality dogs can be bred and continue to pass on their breed improvements etc. We all know what a farce that object is when you see some of the specimans of the various breeds that are being awarded titles regularly week after week. In my own case the dog concerned having one testicle, able to reproduce does' not qualify for either class . What choice do I have if I wish to show this dog who apart from the stated is a solid breed speciman.Comments please.as i think this is an interesting position.

I suspect your only hope of showing this dog would be to desex and re-register as a Neuter.