Hoons Set Their Dog On Resident

stonecutter

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly - but based on the behaviour of the owners (public mischief, aggression towards people, dangerous driving) - do you think on the balance of probabilities they provide an environment that is full of positive reinforcement of acceptable behaviours? I can't imagine that these hoons are canine officers for the police force or customs in their spare time.

My understanding is that dogs don't bite people because they like to. Of course, my understanding is limited and I don't have a degree in animal behaviour and psychology - so if someone does - I'd love to know how dogs come to like biting people.

a dog wont actively chase down and bite without positive reinforcement. That dog could have been treated better then they're own children and in many cases they are.

All bitework is based on heave reinforcement both from the handler and the decoy being 'chased away' by the dog. The bite element engages the dogs prey drive and also done properly, defense drive.

This is about bitework training not animal psychology, unless you have learned about the training you will know nothing about it. I'm just sick to death of people making uneducated assumptions about it. Bitework is enjoyed by dogs of the right temperament and training, they will snap their collars to get to the decoy just for one bite.

Do you remember which news station it was featured on? I'd love to see the footage.

It saddens me that this dog won't have the same opportunities that Buster has had.

Prime/Seven I think.

The dog wasn't a slavering beast, so maybe, just maybe it will be given a fair assessment & the blame appointed where it belongs.

The peckerheaded owner.

The dog was featured on the news. Calm, friendly. The same scenario as the Golden incident last week in fact. It was a pitbull alright, & a very handsome one at that. The fact it wasn't compliant to any of the regulations required for the keeping of restricted breeds isn't going to do the cause much good.

Why wouldn't the incident be reported if it was another breed?

The Golden incident was in the news for longer than this storey was as a matter of fact.

Being in total denial doesnt do the cause any good either..

If the media is true to form it would simply be stock footage. Believing journalists who are anti-Pit Bulls (whatever they are) without verification doesn't add to one's credibility. The Golden's story came with blood and footage. It is now long dead as a story.

Believing journalists who are anti-Pit Bulls (whatever they are) without verification doesn't add to one's credibility.

Commenting with a confessed lack of knowledge of the subject matter does even less for ones credibility.

Believing journalists who are anti-Pit Bulls (whatever they are) without verification doesn't add to one's credibility.

Commenting with a confessed lack of knowledge of the subject matter does even less for ones credibility.

Ditto. Please show where a pure-bred dog is officially known as a "Pit Bull"? Credibility comes from experience and knowledge, not what the latest journo said.

Being pedantic doesn't do much for ones credibility either.

Do you have any experience & knowledge with ''what ever they are''?

You certainly don't appear to have.

Before you ask, the answer is ''Yes''

Shooting the messanger: a clear sign of lack of knowledge of the issues. Please name credible registries which recognise a breed called a Pit Bull :p

a dog wont actively chase down and bite without positive reinforcement. That dog could have been treated better then they're own children and in many cases they are.

All bitework is based on heave reinforcement both from the handler and the decoy being 'chased away' by the dog. The bite element engages the dogs prey drive and also done properly, defense drive.

This is about bitework training not animal psychology, unless you have learned about the training you will know nothing about it. I'm just sick to death of people making uneducated assumptions about it. Bitework is enjoyed by dogs of the right temperament and training, they will snap their collars to get to the decoy just for one bite.

Thanks :p I'm only a new dog owner and the material I've been recommended to read and listen to by DOL members (Dr Dunbar especially) indicated that dogs don't want to bite people - always glad to get more information :rofl:

Shooting the messanger: a clear sign of lack of knowledge of the issues. Please name credible registries which recognise a breed called a Pit Bull :eek:

Your rationale may work if you are BSing to the uninitiated rather than raving on a dog specific forum.

Show me a registry that lists, as pure breeds, such breeds as

Rotties

Dobes

Newfies

Iggies

Bullies

Staffies

Chi's

Am Staffs

Foxies

Goldens

Labs

etc

etc

etc

ad infinitum

& Pitbulls even (UKC-ADBA claim they are credible)

Show me any self declared ''dog person'' who doesn't know which breed is being referred to & have an instant image come to mind & i'll show someone seriously out of their depth. An imposter even.

Going the elephant wearing sun glasses route doesn't work, wont work, wont ever work.

Denial is Bart Simpsonism. ''I didn't do it". ''It wasn't me''. Credibility zero. Funny on Foxtel. Pathectic in real life

Education is the way.

If you have to balls to stand up & be counted that is. Don't expect others to do it for you.

''You'' have to do it.

Which looks to be highly unlikely.

But until someone with the gonads does, BSL is here to stay.

Shooting the messanger: a clear sign of lack of knowledge of the issues. Please name credible registries which recognise a breed called a Pit Bull :thumbsup:

Your rationale may work if you are BSing to the uninitiated rather than raving on a dog specific forum.

Show me a registry that lists, as pure breeds, such breeds as

Rotties

Dobes

Newfies

Iggies

Bullies

Staffies

Chi's

Am Staffs

Foxies

Goldens

Labs

etc

etc

etc

ad infinitum

& Pitbulls even (UKC-ADBA claim they are credible)

Show me any self declared ''dog person'' who doesn't know which breed is being referred to & have an instant image come to mind & i'll show someone seriously out of their depth. An imposter even.

Going the elephant wearing sun glasses route doesn't work, wont work, wont ever work.

Denial is Bart Simpsonism. ''I didn't do it". ''It wasn't me''. Credibility zero. Funny on Foxtel. Pathectic in real life

Education is the way.

If you have to balls to stand up & be counted that is. Don't expect others to do it for you.

''You'' have to do it.

Which looks to be highly unlikely.

But until someone with the gonads does, BSL is here to stay.

A Pit Bull is a type of dog such as a Hound is a type of dog or terrier, not a breed- never has been, never will be. It refers to short-haired muscular breeds such as AST, APBT and SBT which are all the same breed with different names with different registries. Rottie is short for Rottweiler as for all the all the others named they are simply short for extended names. No registry registers a Pit Bull, and as I've dealt with ADBA, GDR and UKC I can speak with some authority. Ignorance is found amongst those who claim to be experts :confused: . BSL is slowly being overturned in the US and Europe because it is difficult to enforce and results in tens of thousands of dead dogs which have done nothing wrong and results in an increase in dog attacks, especially with kids. When those with the b*lls to step up to the plate and not hide behind anonymous handles do so, we can't lose.

I'm only a new dog owner and the material I've been recommended to read and listen to by DOL members (Dr Dunbar especially) indicated that dogs don't want to bite people - always glad to get more information

Dunbar knows jack then. I have a pup here at the moment whos primary aim in life is to turn me and anyone within toothy range into a pincushion. She's been that way since 7 weeks of age. If the dog has the right genetics bites on people are amassive amount of fun for the dog and will do so with gusto. Like I said, pet dog trainers and behaviourists know little about real bitework unless they've specifically worked with it.

If the attacking dog is in NSW it's not surprising if it has done bitework. There are still companies out there who will train APBTs in bitework which they can excell in due to some dogs drives. Bitework is still legal in most states of Australia.

ASTs, APBTs & SBTs are all described as pitbull types, absolutely.

However, their worldwide, commonly known & commonly used abbreviations are.

Amstaffs, PITBULLS & Staffies.

APBT are universally know as PITBULLS not only in their country of origin, by both their admirers & detractors, but also everywhere else in the world.

If people are referring to an AST they say Amstaff. SBT, staffy/stafford. APBT PITBULL

Denial is a display of a distinct lack of masculine kit. Not to mention credibility.

Amstaff people & staffy people don't deny their breed, that seems to be the exclusive domain of the PITBULL people.

Shame, shame,shame.

Just where exactly is BSL being repealled?

I know in the UK there has been a submission to parliament to sort of repeal their BSL. Included in the submission is the reason, it's primarily because of breed misrepresentation. The proponents are hoping for a reading in the next couple of years.

There is no mention, or intention of repealling their Banned Breeds legislation.

PITBULLs & all their listed alias' will still be banned. As will all other listed breeds.

Which will probably be the common denominator everywhere else as well.

APBT are universally know as PITBULLS not only in their country of origin, by both their admirers & detractors, but also everywhere else in the world.

If people are referring to an AST they say Amstaff. SBT, staffy/stafford. APBT PITBULL

Denial is a display of a distinct lack of masculine kit. Not to mention credibility.

Amstaff people & staffy people don't deny their breed, that seems to be the exclusive domain of the PITBULL people.

Shame, shame,shame.

So amstaff and APBT's are different breeds in your opinion? I know people with amstaffs who'll tell people it's really a pitbull but legal....

The only people who own APBT's who would call them something different is either because they just want to avoid all the hype and questions from council etc, or because they just can't be certain it's a purebred APBT, so why risk your dog being putdown.

Typical yobo owners though are only to quick to tell everyone that their dog is a pitbull, and are more likely to have no idea about BSL and all the drama surrounding breed ID and misrepresentation, same with byb amstaff owners.

And I've said this few times on this forum that some amstaff breeders selling dogs with "massive heads", "huge muscle mass", etc.. are more of a detriment to the breed, than misrepresentation from pitbull owners. No need to look for other people to blame.

At least you agree with the rest of the world, except for one poor soul in perpetual denial, that there is such a thing as a PITBULL - abbreviation of American Pitbull Terrier.

Yes, ASTs & APBTs are the same breed.

The Qld judiciary declared them to be so - Chivers V GCCC.

There is a very rocky road ahead.

In the SMH today

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/pitbull-bites-ma...0401-1cnx2.html

Two people allegedly set a pitbull dog on a man after he complained about them doing burnouts in their street in Sydney's south west.

The man, 20, underwent surgery today after the dog latched on to his groin during the attack in Heyson Way at Claymore, about 10pm yesterday.

Police allege the dog's owner, a 29-year-old man, released the dog after the victim confronted him and another man over the pair performing burnouts in the street.

The dog chased the victim before attacking, leaving the man with severe cuts to his groin.

He was taken to Campbelltown Hospital, where he was listed as being in a stable condition following surgery, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The 29-year-old man and his friend, 25, were arrested.

It's expected they will face charges under the Companion Animals Act, as well as traffic matters, police said.

Local council rangers are expected to seize the dog today.

At face value from this report it sounds really bad, a couple years back in Brisbane was another case about someone setting a dog supposedly unprovoked according to the news, but later it was found in court the 'victim' was instigating a crime of robbery.

when i read that above i actually thought maybe he was attacking and damaging the car or was really into a rage, but who knows probably just thugs having a bad hair day. The court will find out, a father defends his son probably the apple of his eye.

Shame, shame,shame.

Just where exactly is BSL being repealled?

I know in the UK there has been a submission to parliament to sort of repeal their BSL. Included in the submission is the reason, it's primarily because of breed misrepresentation. The proponents are hoping for a reading in the next couple of years.

There is no mention, or intention of repealling their Banned Breeds legislation.

PITBULLs & all their listed alias' will still be banned. As will all other listed breeds.

Which will probably be the common denominator everywhere else as well.

To many it seems ignorance is it's own reward. :laugh: Still no evidence on which registry registers a breed called a pit bull. Ontario and Denver ban all pitbulls (AST, SBT & APBT) while plenty of US cities have repealed BSL as have the Netherlands and Italy and while there is far to go it makes a good start. Australia is 5 years behind the US so give it time and we will also go down that path eventually. Tossing out the companion animal haters in Vic and NSW was a good start. Unwilling to do one's research is itself a good indicator of lack of "kit" in many people's book.

Possibly - but based on the behaviour of the owners (public mischief, aggression towards people, dangerous driving) - do you think on the balance of probabilities they provide an environment that is full of positive reinforcement of acceptable behaviours? I can't imagine that these hoons are canine officers for the police force or customs in their spare time.

My understanding is that dogs don't bite people because they like to. Of course, my understanding is limited and I don't have a degree in animal behaviour and psychology - so if someone does - I'd love to know how dogs come to like biting people.

No sorry this in not right. Dogs with the social aggression or civil drive in defense will chase and bite strangers no worries. To bite him in the groin is not a place the decoy is happy for training so is doubting the dog is protection trained and more likey I thinking defense aggression in the trait.

Joe

No sorry this in not right. Dogs with the social aggression or civil drive in defense will chase and bite strangers no worries. To bite him in the groin is not a place the decoy is happy for training so is doubting the dog is protection trained and more likey I thinking defense aggression in the trait.

Where did I mention it was done responsibly or properly? Plus I've seen many dogs give a nice deep groin bite because it was within reach at that moment (that sounded kind of wrong really ... but you get the idea)

For a dog to be 'set' on someone there has to have been some encouragement on behalf of the owner for that type of behaviour. The average moron who thinks it funny to go 'ssssssss get it, get it! GO get it!' while the dog is straining at the collar, encouraging the dog into that action has to be at least partially responsible for the dogs behaviour, no?