So Angry, Just Got A Call From A Byb

Baileys mum

It's horrible to say, but its these people that you wish have every problem under the sun when they do eventually breed their "lovely dog" and end up that out of pocket they would never ever consider breeding again, but as murphys law has it, these are generally the ones who have a text book mating and whelping and do make a couple of bucks out of it. :cry:

Maybe I'm just getting cynical. :)

I then told him that there was 100's of x-bred small dogs in the pound getting put down every day & why would he want to contribute to that..He then said what makes me think any of his puppies would end up in the pound & that he would make sure his puppies go to good homes, & why would I think his x-bred pups would end up in the pound any more than my purebred pups.

Unfortunately, 99% of your average Joe think exactly this way. I had a hard time convincing my ex housemate that it could just as easily be one of hers, so I went with the "your puppies will take up homes that may have gone to those pound puppies, so either way more pups will die if you do this" argument. That, and the risk of awful things going wrong and losing her beloved girl, seemed to work.

..He then said that he thinks it would be a nice thing for his girl to become a mother because she is such a lovely girl & that he wants pretty puppy from her & wants others to have the joy of owning a puppy from her. :cry:

I then said that his bitch doesn't care about becoming a mother & that he could always go to a purebred breeder a buy a purebred Aussie or JRT puppy if he wants a new puppy as it would be much cheaper & less hassle..but he said he just wants a puppy from his beautiful girl. :)

Funny he didn't mention his main motivation - he thinks there's a buck in it for him! :shrug:

Actually I think in most one-off cases money isn't a factor, they are just ignorant and naive and really do love their dogs so much that they think everyone would love one of their puppies. I was there myself many years ago before I found DOL. I really did think Kuges was the absolute bees knees, and a few people had said they would love a dog like him, and that little part of you that really loves your dog says "They don't live long, if you have a pup, it will be like a little bit of Kuges lives on..." This is particularly relevant for x-breed owners because you can't simply go out and get another of the same breed. Some will learn, some are not able to be educated, all we can do is keep trying.

You sure did a good job in sounding out a reality check for that bloke. You're right, tho', when you said he was already committed to his 'dream' idea.

Yep mita, it didn't matter what I said to him, there was just no changing this blokes mind..I only hope he has trouble finding a stud dog, but I'm sure unfortunately there is probably an unethical breeder out there looking for some extra cash that will give him what he wants. :birthday:

Just be grateful that there are very few Aussie breeders (especially in Vic) and the ones that I know would probably hang and quarter this guy before they would let him use their stud dogs.

If he's that determined and if your arguments didn't give him food for thought, he will probably eventually look for a similar sort of x-breed to cross. Let's just hope that if he gets the same messages repeated from all the breeders he phones that eventually the idea will take hold in his brain that what you are all saying has merit.

Don't think that what you said made no difference though. He may have still seemed determined on the phone, but that was all within seconds of you telling him, things take a while to germinate.

I then told him that there was 100's of x-bred small dogs in the pound getting put down every day & why would he want to contribute to that..He then said what makes me think any of his puppies would end up in the pound & that he would make sure his puppies go to good homes, & why would I think his x-bred pups would end up in the pound any more than my purebred pups.

Unfortunately, 99% of your average Joe think exactly this way. I had a hard time convincing my ex housemate that it could just as easily be one of hers, so I went with the "your puppies will take up homes that may have gone to those pound puppies, so either way more pups will die if you do this" argument. That, and the risk of awful things going wrong and losing her beloved girl, seemed to work.

..He then said that he thinks it would be a nice thing for his girl to become a mother because she is such a lovely girl & that he wants pretty puppy from her & wants others to have the joy of owning a puppy from her. :laugh:

I then said that his bitch doesn't care about becoming a mother & that he could always go to a purebred breeder a buy a purebred Aussie or JRT puppy if he wants a new puppy as it would be much cheaper & less hassle..but he said he just wants a puppy from his beautiful girl. :laugh:

Funny he didn't mention his main motivation - he thinks there's a buck in it for him! :D

Actually I think in most one-off cases money isn't a factor, they are just ignorant and naive and really do love their dogs so much that they think everyone would love one of their puppies. I was there myself many years ago before I found DOL. I really did think Kuges was the absolute bees knees, and a few people had said they would love a dog like him, and that little part of you that really loves your dog says "They don't live long, if you have a pup, it will be like a little bit of Kuges lives on..." This is particularly relevant for x-breed owners because you can't simply go out and get another of the same breed. Some will learn, some are not able to be educated, all we can do is keep trying.

You sure did a good job in sounding out a reality check for that bloke. You're right, tho', when you said he was already committed to his 'dream' idea.

Yep mita, it didn't matter what I said to him, there was just no changing this blokes mind..I only hope he has trouble finding a stud dog, but I'm sure unfortunately there is probably an unethical breeder out there looking for some extra cash that will give him what he wants. :)

Just be grateful that there are very few Aussie breeders (especially in Vic) and the ones that I know would probably hang and quarter this guy before they would let him use their stud dogs.

If he's that determined and if your arguments didn't give him food for thought, he will probably eventually look for a similar sort of x-breed to cross. Let's just hope that if he gets the same messages repeated from all the breeders he phones that eventually the idea will take hold in his brain that what you are all saying has merit.

Don't think that what you said made no difference though. He may have still seemed determined on the phone, but that was all within seconds of you telling him, things take a while to germinate.

:laugh: Great post hortfurball...I can only hope you are right & a little bit of what I have said to him did get through & he might actually think twice about breeding..especially if other breeders he may have rung have told him the same thing. :D

I was at a dog show a couple of weeks ago and a lady with a child asked me if I knew anyone who bred Cavoodles. I had to ask her a couple of times because i couldnt quiet catch the breed so she had to say cavalier and poodles for me to get it. i looked at her strange, said no and walked away, thinking what sort of person would think cavoodles is a breed!

A few months ago I was walking my Lab and came across a bloke with a Westie, We started talking as you do and he was commenting about how in his oppinion my Lab was a good looking dog. I said that I was thinking about putting him up for stud in the near future to which he repiled his girl was just comming into season and he would love to use my boy.After asking if he was a registered breeder and him saying he was. Silly me was thinking he had left her at home as she was comming in and was just walking his other dog so I said I'd like to have a look at her. He pointed down and said here she is. I walked away

A few months ago I was walking my Lab and came across a bloke with a Westie, We started talking as you do and he was commenting about how in his oppinion my Lab was a good looking dog. I said that I was thinking about putting him up for stud in the near future to which he repiled his girl was just comming into season and he would love to use my boy.After asking if he was a registered breeder and him saying he was. Silly me was thinking he had left her at home as she was comming in and was just walking his other dog so I said I'd like to have a look at her. He pointed down and said here she is. I walked away

What a bloody idiot!! :eek: Seriously I really don't know what goes through peoples heads sometimes...I mean what righ minded person would even think of breeding their little Westie with a much larger Lab anyway?? :thumbsup:

Oh & if he is a registered breeder he should be reported to his canine council for trying to cross breed. :eek:

:thumbsup:

I was at a dog show a couple of weeks ago and a lady with a child asked me if I knew anyone who bred Cavoodles. I had to ask her a couple of times because i couldnt quiet catch the breed so she had to say cavalier and poodles for me to get it. i looked at her strange, said no and walked away, thinking what sort of person would think cavoodles is a breed!

unfortunately alot the general public really do think that these designer mutts are actually a real breed, they pay alot of money for a puppy, even get papers (not ANKC papers) & are confinced that they have been sold something very special. :thumbsup:

It's pretty sad when people are so sure they are an actual breed that they go to a dog show hoping to meet breeders though. :eek:

Guest Willow

In my vet nursing days, I dealt with a BYBer who belived that because their dogs were "second generation" ***** x ***** that they were now "pure bred. They got very angry with my after they brought the litter in for 6 week vaccinations and on the "Breed" part of the vacc record I put (breed 1) x (breed 2). "They are *******oodles" the wife exclaimed angrily....

I told her that was not a breed, and as this was a medical/legal document I could't write that on there. "But my puppy buyers will want to know why it doesn't say ******oodle!!!!"

She just didn't get it at all......

In my vet nursing days, I dealt with a BYBer who belived that because their dogs were "second generation" ***** x ***** that they were now "pure bred. They got very angry with my after they brought the litter in for 6 week vaccinations and on the "Breed" part of the vacc record I put (breed 1) x (breed 2). "They are *******oodles" the wife exclaimed angrily....

I told her that was not a breed, and as this was a medical/legal document I could't write that on there. "But my puppy buyers will want to know why it doesn't say ******oodle!!!!"

She just didn't get it at all......

Yeah she obviously didn't want her puppy buyers to find out that she had scammed them into believing that they where buying a proper purebreed dog rather than a very exspensive designer x-breed.

Glad you wrote on the certificates what they actually where, rather than the stupid designer name. :)

It's not just breeders who get asked. Some time back I met a woman who said she'd bought a pure-bred Lhasa Apso puppy for $300 - and said she was lucky as so many breeders just wanted ridiculous amounts for a dog.

I had pics of dogs in my phone and the woman got quite excited - said her girl (now 1) was the spitting image of my cross-breed dog. I told her it was a cross and that the boy was pure Lhasa. Even more excited then, she presumed he was entire and wanted to breed with her girl. bad luck, says I, he's been eunuched. :p

Woman then asked if I knew anyone who had an entire boy to breed with her little girl, and seemed disappointed but not beaten when I didn't. I couldn't work out what her reason for breeding was, money maybe, but she's also convinced her girl is special enough to want to share with others. There was no offer of anything from her either, she just wanted the use of my boy so it could have been the money.

eta - the last sentence.

Edited by ruffpup

It's horrible to say, but its these people that you wish have every problem under the sun when they do eventually breed their "lovely dog" and end up that out of pocket they would never ever consider breeding again, but as murphys law has it, these are generally the ones who have a text book mating and whelping and do make a couple of bucks out of it. :rofl:

Maybe I'm just getting cynical. :p

Well I sure as hell will not be wishing bad thoughts to BYBers anymore - 3 out of my 4 litters have been emergency c sections (2 after hours at the em clinic including a premature litter). I just can not afford any ill thoughts on anyone :) .....

I am actually putting off my next litter out of fear of another em c section - my hex might be over by the end of the year - I am planning 2 litters for next yr and need as much good luck as I can get. :(

But agree - it is very frustrating... :o

eta: I have had a couple of calls for my Rottie male (not advertised at stud) - the bitch is in season "NOW"....at least they are registered but we didn't share the same ethics so no mating. He reminded me that the lines were perfect and I agreed - they were. There was other personal issues involved but the mating will never take place. The only way he accepted no was when I said he was xrayed but not yet scored. I have also had a few calls from people with a bitch who just want a boyfriend for her, I am as nice as I can be but they still don't like the answer NO. So I just warn them if they keep calling around they will not get such a nice knock back next time.

Edited by Andisa