Jumping On People

Dogsrawesome

Atlas was good with me, not so good with others! So, when other people were around, they were not to touch him till he had 4 paws on the ground, it took time, but he worked it out, jumping = no pats.

I didnt care if he sat or what, just 4 paws on ground

Sadly i have been very slack with Kaos, she is a huge jumper :thumbsup:

i dont have a puppy but curious to see what people do to stop a puppy from jumping up on people. My dads theory is stick your knee out and they cant jump up properly so they give up. So how do you stop it?

I have a Border Collie who is 11 months old and we got him at 5 months. Teaching him not to jump up on people is still an ongoing process although he is getting better all the time. And he LOVES to jump up on most anyone that comes...he gets so excited.

I have taught Jed a sit-pat command that he has learnt so he knows that there is a more appropriate way of getting attention. Each time he has jumped up I say "Jed...sit-pat" and when he obeys he gets lots of praise and pats. Most visitors that come are happy to participate in this part of his training and this has been a huge help. Initially food rewards were used then simple praise and pats. Jed also knows that the sit-pat command is different to the sit command.

Now at 11 months he knows the command very well and sits in front of whoever he wants to greet but if a pat hasn't happened within about 2 secs he jumps straight up in the air, yaps and lands straight on his bum again and waits. I figure he's reminding us that he is in sit-pat position in case we've forgotten. :thumbsup:

Incidentally my 83 year old mum he has never attempted to jump up on. He seems to sense that she needs to be treated very gently.

Guest english.ivy

My Pointer was a jumper as a pup.

This worked for me, he no longer jumps.

Put my hands straight out infront of me and said no loudly when I walked outside. If he kept doing it I'd quickly turn around when he went to jump. Also ignoring [no pats or words except no] him till he settled down.

When people came around, I made sure he had a collar on. I'd hold his collar and make him sit, quieten down then let the visitor say hello.

Didn't really take me that long to make him stop.

Jumping dogs are a major pet hate of mine.

haha i was talking about this exact problem today,

My boy who is almost 4, yes 4! still does it due to over excitement overload. He doesn't jump on me or my mum so it is harder to teach him not to but on other people god help us when they make it worse by letting him jump and patting him! we start our training tomorrow learning not to jump on others.

our 8 month old used to jump on us but doesn't any more. She's getting much better with people who come over. We use the same approach as Teebs. We ask people to ignore her (no eye contact, be a tree if she comes over) until she is calm and being polite. usually within a few minutes of someone coming over she's laying at their feet. If she's being a pain and jumping it's normally because our guest isn't ignoring her (some people think if they push her down or say something she'll stop). Persistence!

Completely ignore them when they do it and ask for sit or down and reward with cuddles and rubs. I like to step aside so they don't land on me. For some dogs just having their front paws on you is rewarding enough to maintain the behaviour.

Duke was a big jumper as a pup. When he became a 'big' pup it was a bit of a problem. What worked for me was when he jumped I would grab both of his paws and hold them firm. He didn't like being up there for so long and wasn't comfortable with me holding his paws. It curbed the habit very well.

1. Teach 'sit'.

2. Teach 'sit'.

3. Teach 'sit'.

4. Use 'sit' when the dog is greeting people. Make sure the sit and greet is appreciated.

:) what was that again :cry: thats what i was going to do when i eventually get a puppy but i thought id see other opinions incase it didnt work

1. Teach 'sit'.

2. Teach 'sit'.

3. Teach 'sit'.

4. Use 'sit' when the dog is greeting people. Make sure the sit and greet is appreciated.

Yep, a dog cannot sit and jump at the same time. Teach a lightning sit and the problem ceases to exist. Always teach what you do want, much easier than teaching what you don't want.

I agree, teach the dog to sit when greeting people. Only reward for ass on ground lol

I allow my dog to jump up on me when we play games etc but she is not allowed to jump on anyone else. Actually my mum encourages her to jump on her as well. But she generally doesn't jump on others.

I agree, teach the dog to sit when greeting people. Only reward for ass on ground lol

I allow my dog to jump up on me when we play games etc but she is not allowed to jump on anyone else. Actually my mum encourages her to jump on her as well. But she generally doesn't jump on others.

See thats what im worried about if i get a pup i want people to make sure he sits before they pat him but there are some people i know in my family who think its "cute" when they are little but then get annoyed when he is grown thats what it was like with my cattle dog so it would be tough for me to break that haha but i will just get angry if people dont listen to me :laugh: i'll be like hey! its my puppy and i dont want him to do that!!!!.

See thats what im worried about if i get a pup i want people to make sure he sits before they pat him but there are some people i know in my family who think its "cute" when they are little but then get annoyed when he is grown thats what it was like with my cattle dog so it would be tough for me to break that haha but i will just get angry if people dont listen to me :thumbsup: i'll be like hey! its my puppy and i dont want him to do that!!!!.

If its your puppy, it should listen to you and look to you for direction, so you should be ok.

btw, I never let my puppy jump on me when she was a baby, I only started letting her in the last month or so when she was no longer required to be training.

I quite a dog that will get excited when it sees you. It was pretty hard for me and her to always make her sit and then ignore her for 20 mins when i got home.

Now i get crazy kisses and cuddles lol

See thats what im worried about if i get a pup i want people to make sure he sits before they pat him but there are some people i know in my family who think its "cute" when they are little but then get annoyed when he is grown thats what it was like with my cattle dog so it would be tough for me to break that haha but i will just get angry if people dont listen to me :thumbsup: i'll be like hey! its my puppy and i dont want him to do that!!!!.

If its your puppy, it should listen to you and look to you for direction, so you should be ok.

btw, I never let my puppy jump on me when she was a baby, I only started letting her in the last month or so when she was no longer required to be training.

I quite a dog that will get excited when it sees you. It was pretty hard for me and her to always make her sit and then ignore her for 20 mins when i got home.

Good point thanks :thumbsup: the last time i had a puppy i was seven(she ran away when we left her at a ex friends house when we went on holidays and she never went looking for her :thumbsup: and only told us when we got back hence why she is an ex friend ) and i rescued the dog i have now and he wasnt jumpy so i just thought hmmmm if i did get a puppy how would i stop it. I noticed none of my dog books have that information in it. Just interesting different theories but i might try the sit one :thumbsup: haha if i ever need it.

1. Teach 'sit'.

2. Teach 'sit'.

3. Teach 'sit'.

'Heel' is also useful when you want to move away from happyily sitting puppy who is not yet done greeting. Interestingly, for a while I was using Premack. Sit and you get to jump on me when I invite you. My younger dog often won't come up when invited. By the time he's sat or downed and is waiting for his invitation he has calmed down and no longer wants to jump up. He gets his cuddles instead. When he was a baby he was all over the place. Sit was a necessity and quickly became fluent. I cannot speak highly enough of solid sits (or downs) in puppies.

because thats an intelligent thing to keep rewarding and promoting in a large breed dog. Just make sure you have some command for your dog to settle before it bowls someone over or injures someone severely when it's acting like a fool. I've seen people with broken arms and legs from exhuberant large breed dogs slamming into them or knocking them over. Just remember that high anxiety coupled with strong reinforcement encourages the behaviour to grow and get stronger.

Depends on the pup. Jumping is always better solved if you can get attention and teach the dog the alternative behaviour. Make jumping up on command only and you wont have a problem, all my dogs know 'hop' and a patted chest means they can come up on 2 legs for a cuddle. Exhuberant and violent jumpers especially large breeds get the old leg up and ignored until they run the stupidity out of themselves and engage their brain into a mode ripe to learn.

Edited by Nekhbet

Put the dog onlead when visitors come.. bloody hard for it to jump on them when its attached to you.

And yes, teach "sit". No acknowledgement and no pats until bum is firmly on the ground. They learn it fast when its reinforced.

Put the dog onlead when visitors come.. bloody hard for it to jump on them when its attached to you.

Well, I guess you haven't seen how tight some of the places around external doors are in our house. :thumbsup: It's bloody hard to stop a dog attached to me jumping on a visitor if I had to answer the door. I've tried it! E gets wildly over-aroused by visitors at the front door. I don't think the leash helps matters much. It does seem to make the visitors more worried. I guess they see him on the leash and think he must be dangerous. I like the baby gate better. We can cue him to sit or down on the other side of the gate and only let him through once he's calm enough not to jump on anyone. Theoretically.