Reasons To Desex A Male Dog

Some of you may have read this thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=217664 where I said I was doing some training with an elderly gentleman and his dog as he (the dog) is big and strong and pulling his owner everywhere.

I had suggested desexing (along with our training) to help. Well now that I have Browny walking on a halti for this gentleman he doesn't think he needs to be desexed, PLUS it doesn't help when the vet has told him that if he does get him desexed he will get fat if he doesn't walk him enough.

I have been to the RSPCA and picked up a discount voucher for the desexing so it won't cost much at all.

So please give me every reason possible that may help me convince him to still take him in.

Browny is a very intelligent boy and I love working with him so much :D he walks beautifully on the halti which is amazing for his owner, he could not believe it when we went for our first walk on the street.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not going to be much help, but I am wondering 'why' you think he should desex? If he keeps his dog contained, and the behaviour problems are now being sorted, why does he need to be desexed?

Edited by ~Anne~

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you suggested desexing a male dog would help?? It wouldn't make the dog less likely to pull or less capable of pulling, that's for sure.

The only reason I can think of to desex a male dog is to stop him siring puppies. The risks of testicular cancer or prostate issues are not high.

Edited by poodlefan

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you suggested desexing a male dog would help?? It wouldn't make the dog less likely to pull or less capable of pulling, that's for sure.

The only reason I can think of to desex a male dog is to stop him siring puppies. The risks of testicular cancer or prostate issues are not high.

This.

Desexing eliminates sexual behaviour. It increases the chance of certain types of bone cancer, and prevents testicular cancer (but the risk of this as poodlefan said is not high anyway). It is an operation for which the dog will require general anesthetic - which is associated with plenty of risks of its own.

Isn't a dog likely to grow bigger and stronger if left undesexed?

I also worry that if he is being walked and comes across a female on heat he may pull his owner over to get to the female.

If he is an adult male already he may be inclined to still do this anwyay after desexing. It is like marking, once they start marking, desexing will not stop it entirely and even dogs that have been desexed from 6 months will still display marking behaviours.

Yup. Why?

A female on heat is unlikely to send a male dog who happens to be walking past with his owner into a foaming frenzy - especially if the boy doesn't really know 'what' it is :D

If the owner is responsible enough I see no reason why he should desex his dog. JMO.

Why leave entire? :D

I'm just a little confused as to why everyone is pushing not to desex. He's an adult dog and has done his growing, so he has had all the benefit of hormones to aid his growth. I personally think spinning the anaesthetic risk story is a bit silly because everything has it's risks, and desexing is a pretty small surgery.

The questions to be asked I suppose is, can this man effectively contain his dog if there happens to be a bitch in season? Some dogs are laid back and less inclined to go find her, but others break through walls to get the deed done.

And also, why risk the chance of more unwanted puppies? Accidents do happen, or this guy could even be tempted one day to let his boy 'become a dad'. I know when I was young and ignorant when we got our boy from the shelter we thought, such a shame they desexed him, he was a beautiful dog and would have made awesome puppies! But obviously because he had been desexed that took the option out of our hands - which is a good thing.

Just my opinion.

I also worry that if he is being walked and comes across a female on heat he may pull his owner over to get to the female.

An early desexed dog is likely to grow taller than an undesexed one.

But this dog is an adult so any of those issues aren't relevant here.

I'm not advocating the dog be left entire. No one appears to be pushing not to desex. But arguments for desexing need to be factual. The main reason you desex male dogs is to stop them producing unwanted pups. Arguments about behavioural change or making them "easier" to manage aren't necessarily going to produce the goods.

Contrary to belief, entire male dogs don't have to become slavering uncontrollable animals in the presence of a bitch in heat. A bit of training works wonders and most unmated males, while interested, don't really know what they're missing.

Edited by poodlefan

Males desexed as adults are generally calmer in attitude and the risk of testicular and prostate cancer is very real. In my lifetime I have had 3 entire males of different breeds into older age. One of those had testicular cancer and another died before his time from prostate cancer. 2 out of 3 is not good odds in my book. I now desex them if I will not be needing them for the breeding any more, the same as I do with bitches. Prostate problems in older entire dogs are just as common as they are in older male humans. Unless a dog is specifically needed for breeding I see no reason to not desex him as an adult. I am however against early desexing.

MM I understand where you are comming from and to be honest yes I think most pet dog owners should desex their dogs.

However if the owner is reponsible and dead set against desexing I see no reason to push the point. Desexing stops puppies sure, but it wont fix training issues.

Ummm, situation-specific stuff (though you may want to look it up in your specific state or shire to get the precise financial figures:)

Registration fees are cheaper for a desexed dog, and the owner is a pensioner.

If the dog escapes and is impounded, the reclaim fee will be cheaper if the dog is desexed, which is again relevant because the owner is a pensioner.

Males desexed as adults are generally calmer in attitude and the risk of testicular and prostate cancer is very real. In my lifetime I have had 3 entire males of different breeds into older age. One of those had testicular cancer and another died before his time from prostate cancer. 2 out of 3 is not good odds in my book. I now desex them if I will not be needing them for the breeding any more, the same as I do with bitches. Prostate problems in older entire dogs are just as common as they are in older male humans. Unless a dog is specifically needed for breeding I see no reason to not desex him as an adult. I am however against early desexing.

Personally I think much of the "calmness" attributed to desexing probably more to do with maturity.

Guest english.ivy

Desexing calmed down my large breed male dog.

They don't get fat, you just need to be mindful of their diet. Make sure it is spaced out over two feed a day.

Personally I think much of the "calmness" attributed to desexing probably more to do with maturity.

I don't. I have even noticed a calming down in a dog desexed at 9 years so he was pretty mature already.

Forgot to mention that desexed dogs are far less likely to be attacked by roaming dogs when out walking. Most roaming dogs are entire males, who will often ignore a desexed dog but will almost always attack an another entire male that enters what they deem as their property, which may be the entire street or park.

An early desexed dog is likely to grow taller than an undesexed one.

But this dog is an adult so any of those issues aren't relevant here.

I'm not advocating the dog be left entire. No one appears to be pushing not to desex. But arguments for desexing need to be factual. The main reason you desex male dogs is to stop them producing unwanted pups. Arguments about behavioural change or making them "easier" to manage aren't necessarily going to produce the goods.

Contrary to belief, entire male dogs don't have to become slavering uncontrollable animals in the presence of a bitch in heat. A bit of training works wonders and most unmated males, while interested, don't really know what they're missing.

I can vouch for this. I have a young male entire doberman (under 3) and whilst he demonstrates interest towards females on heat, he still listens and follows me just fine. You have to remember that we've been keeping dogs for a loooonnng time and only recently been desexing them, mainly because too many people didn't bother to train and/or contain their dogs - which they should be doing anyway. IMO, desexing is treating a symptom of a much greater problem.

Dogs desexed early grow taller and whilst they can bulk up, they typically have longer, skinnier heads and more of a barrel shaped body. I can almost always pick a dog that was desexed at or before 6 months, but I'm not trying to say they look bad, just that they look different.

I convinced my sister to desex her male papillon when he was 18months, because she hadn't bothered with training, and he would run off looking for females. 6 months later, same exercise routine, but the dog is now getting fat and they've had to reduce his food. But he stays much closer to them and doesn't try to run away anymore, so I would say desexing was a good decision in this instance.

Forgot to mention that desexed dogs are far less likely to be attacked by roaming dogs when out walking. Most roaming dogs are entire males, who will often ignore a desexed dog but will almost always attack an another entire male that enters what they deem as their property, which may be the entire street or park.

You assume that sexual /territorial dominance is the primary reason for aggresson.

That completely discounts prey drive. I'm afraid the owners of smaller dogs will probably have a different view to you. All aggression towards my dogs from roaming dogs has been directed at the desexed (smaller) dogs.

Suggesting that desexing a dog will make it safer from attack isn't always the case I'm afraid.

I don't have any issue with desexing dogs to prevent unwanted litters. I do take issue with the myriad of claims that desexing miraculously improves behaviour. In my experience, problem behaviours generally don't simply disappear with a dog's testicles and suggesting that they do may be doing dogs and owners no favours.

Whilst desexing may be suggested as part of a behavioural modification program, anyone who suggests that desexing alone is a "cure" for behaviour is stretching things IMO.

Edited by poodlefan

Pretty much every male entire dog I have seen at the dog park seems to be trouble and seems to incite aggression in other dogs.

I don't know enough to say that this is because these dogs are entire. It could well be that the owners of these entire dogs have not bothered to train their dogs. However, if the aggression/trouble rate is 100% (at least in the various dog parks I've been to), does that indicate that for regular pet owners (not DOLers) who don't have a lot of clue about dogs and usually just put the dog through puppy classes, it is best to desex their dogs?

Pretty much every male entire dog I have seen at the dog park seems to be trouble and seems to incite aggression in other dogs.

I don't know enough to say that this is because these dogs are entire. It could well be that the owners of these entire dogs have not bothered to train their dogs. However, if the aggression/trouble rate is 100% (at least in the various dog parks I've been to), does that indicate that for regular pet owners (not DOLers) who don't have a lot of clue about dogs and usually just put the dog through puppy classes, it is best to desex their dogs?

Not what I'd call a good representative cross section of dogs. Most responsible dog owners I know don't use dog parks. I often walk Howie in a group with about 5 other entire boys and there are no issues.

One would think, using the logic that entire male = aggression that dog shows would be a rolling dog fight with ribbons handed out.

Seems to me there's more fighting and posturing at shows by handlers than dogs. In my breed, any aggression between males beyond a hard look would be considered to be indicative of poor temperament. Mind you, most exhibitors manage their boys well.

At dog shows entire males are also expected to be shown with bitches in season present.

Edited by poodlefan