Cost Of Titre Testing

crash

post-39437-1302131607_thumb.jpg

I have been talking to the Prahran Vet Hospital about titre testing after reading , on this forum , that they do them . I was surprised to be told that the cost is $300 . Others on this forum have said that they can get the test done for less than $100 . It would seem that if they can't get you every year on the vaccinations they will sure as hell get you on the titre testing . Or am I just a tad cynical?

post-39437-1302131607_thumb.jpg

I have been talking to the Prahran Vet Hospital about titre testing after reading , on this forum , that they do them . I was surprised to be told that the cost is $300 . Others on this forum have said that they can get the test done for less than $100 . It would seem that if they can't get you every year on the vaccinations they will sure as hell get you on the titre testing . Or am I just a tad cynical?

Did you ask what that $300 involves? At the time of vaccination, a check up is usually included, so $300 might include a consultation as well as the pathology fee. Some vets may insist on charging a consultation fee as you are using their time and skills to collect the blood. Others might just have a small blood taking fee instead.

Our clinic opened an account direct with the lab in WA so we could keep the cost of titre testing down (under $100) but I can tell you, it's a bit more time consuming doing it this way rather than using our regular pathology lab due to the packaging requirements of sending the blood long distance by regular courier. I can imagine this, plus the fact that titre testing isn't that popular yet, could be why many Vets wouldn't be interested in opening a new account with a new pathology lab.

If we used our regular lab, the price would probably be close to double because they add their fees on top of the WA labs fees.

Also, there are different options for titre testing in terms of what tests. Did you ask what the $300 tests for? There are different standards of testing and some need to be sent overseas which jacks the price right up. We just opt for the lab in house for Parvo and Distemper, but if someone wanted to test for Hepatitis overseas, we could do that, however this would increase the price.

I just had a look through my vet accounts and found my girls titres - $66 each which were done in November last year.....and it was for parvo & distemper. The previous ones (about 2 years ago) also had the extra titre done which had to be sent to Scotland!!! From memory that was around the same cost again....

My vet is about 2 hours south of Perth - interesting to see it was cheaper for me, and RV is in the metro area :D

Im surprised theres not a big lab over east that has taken this on!

I just had a look through my vet accounts and found my girls titres - $66 each which were done in November last year.....and it was for parvo & distemper. The previous ones (about 2 years ago) also had the extra titre done which had to be sent to Scotland!!! From memory that was around the same cost again....

My vet is about 2 hours south of Perth - interesting to see it was cheaper for me, and RV is in the metro area :p

Im surprised theres not a big lab over east that has taken this on!

My tests went via Murdoch Uni... which possibly adds $ to the price ;) But still very reasonable to me. :D

I imagine it will cost less as it becomes more popular, and more veterinarians & more laboratories start to offer it.

I can't imagine it would ever cost less than a vaccination, though. It's more work for the vet and for the laboratory to take blood & submit it & titre test it, compared to just injecting a vaccination.

I imagine it will cost less as it becomes more popular, and more veterinarians & more laboratories start to offer it.

I can't imagine it would ever cost less than a vaccination, though. It's more work for the vet and for the laboratory to take blood & submit it & titre test it, compared to just injecting a vaccination.

My thoughts exactly Staranais....on the cost compared to a vacc!!! I work in a mining lab and thought that!!!! :D A proheart injection was $120 for my ridgy!!!! And yet the titre tests for two diseases is only $66......I wouldve thought there would be a few hours work in that! I have no idea what it involves - but Im sure its quite time consuming etc....Even the work I do with dirt is time consuming & needs lots of care taken.

I have noticed that vets seem to charge what they like for titre testing. My vet south 'burbs of Perth charges me $150.00, vet down the road will charge me $90.00 for the same service.

And you know for sure they are using exactly the same pathology lab to run the test?

It's not that uncommon for Vets fees to vary greatly. Some vets have crazy low consultation fees, but higher surgery fees so make up losses there for example.

Prahran Vet Hospital would be (from my personal experience) one of the most expensive Vets in Melbourne. I won't comment on their competence on a public forum. ETA - if you want to PM me I can tell you a story!

Edited by poodlemum

Sydney Vet A - $225 via IDEXX - results in 30 DAYS

Sydney Vet B - $99 direct to WA.

note to self - next time ask the damned price before getting blood taken....

(the tragic thing is that vet B was my usual vet and I only avoided them because I couldn't face going there after losing my furries last year, no prob with vet, just sad sad associations with the clinic)