When Can I Change Our Pups Dry Food?

Nadine83

Our Golden Retriever "Lily" has been with us for 1week and poos Soooo much! I have read that supermarket food can cause this because they don't absorb it as well.....

When can I start mixing a different food into her existing one (pedigree puppy)?

I was thinking of switching to Royal Canin. Does this sound ok or do you recommend something else? (she also gets chicken necks and chicken or beef mince).

Readysetgo and Hugo- Thanks :) she has mainly had chicken mince and has had beef mince once. I won't give her the beef again. The chicken necks are chopped up. Diet is the original from breeder (the beef mince wasn't fed but was in the food guide she gave us).

Change her over now, turf the beef mince and the chicken necks (or beat the crap out of them before you feed them) and like RSG - meat on bone.

Chicken necks are meat on bone so why would you get rid of them. They are fine for a Goldie puppy. She is quite big enough to grind the bone in them herself without them being crushed. She could also have whole chicken wings at this age as well as lamb riblets.

They're perfect throat plugs.

Maybe in Pugs but they are fine for bigger breeds.

Maybe for BCs but we have found whole chicken necks on xray or when the dog vomited in breeds like labs and goldens that tend to be greedy and gulp their food. I would crush them if I was going to give them to a retriever.

I dont give my golden chicken necks, she swallowed her first whole and hasnt had one since

Nadine I had Lexi on Royal Canin Lab Jr, the GR Jr variety isnt available in Australia, she is now on a mix of the Lab Jr and GR adult, I did try a change to Advance but it didnt agree with her, so back to RC for us

Guest english.ivy
They're perfect throat plugs.

Maybe in Pugs but they are fine for bigger breeds.

My 35kg Pointer can't have them either. He'd swallow it whole and probably choke.

Yep, not a pug thing ;) I've read many stories on DOL over the years of dogs choking on chicken necks. But the OP chops them up anyway, so she is already minimising the risk :)

isnt chopping really pointless?? they dont chew them then they get yuk teethy pegs??

I would go for wings or chicken frames depending on what she is like as a chewer... wont be long till she will mow down a whole chicken frame.. and also supervise feeding bones.

U can stick with the mince - it wont hurt and if she likes it then why not? try not to buy pet grade puppy mince as it is VERY high in fat and all the yukky bits lol - the mince isnt necessary seeing as ur feeding the dry but some raw is better then none i figure! hows ur lil girl going?? pics????