Top 10 Smartest Dogs In The World

Leelaa17

The dog inteligence listing is based on easy training and is reasonable right in my thinking. My opinion is the Labrador is better than the Golden Retriever in training but maybe I dont see a good Golden Retriever yet and probably see pet Golden against field bred Labrador which is different. Malinios takes in my opinion more experienced trainer to extracting results than the German Shepherd Dog where dopy trainer can do ok with German Shepherd Dog but making mess of Malinios. Dopy trainer also do ok with the Rottweiller and Dobermann so probably Belgian Shepherd bit harder to train is right.

Joe

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All three of the dobermanns I have had were difficult to train, intelligent yes but would not listen to anybody I knew apart from me, they also won't lift a paw (pardon the pun) unless there was something in it for them and verbal praise got boring pretty quickly for them. If the list was based on easily trained dogs then I wouldn't recommend the dobermann for a novice owner, sometimes they quite simply outsmart them.

All three of the dobermanns I have had were difficult to train, intelligent yes but would not listen to anybody I knew apart from me, they also won't lift a paw (pardon the pun) unless there was something in it for them and verbal praise got boring pretty quickly for them. If the list was based on easily trained dogs then I wouldn't recommend the dobermann for a novice owner, sometimes they quite simply outsmart them.

Most dogs is hard to training for the novice and the big dogs are harder to handle if the obedience is lacking on the dog so sometimes big dog can have worse feeling than smaller dog with same training methods that the big dog is not training as easily. The German Shepherd Dog, Rottweiler and the Dobermnan I finding similar type of dogs in the training probably more German Shepherd Dogs around to finding good focus in the dog than Dobermann becuase not all dogs of this breeds on the listings are the same individually. I had some real buggers on the German Shepherd Dogs very stubbon and some others beautiful like they been here before in previous life, so it depends on the individual dog too.

Joe

No.

Call this "the 10 most easily trained dogs in the world" and I might.

Exactly what poodlefan said.

I bet Afghan Hounds are down the bottom of the list! I'm yet to meet a dumb Afghan. Sneaky, cunning and highly intelligent is what they are!

I'd rate Whippets in the top 10 for thievery. :eek:

Here Here I agree Poodlefan, :D Whippys are brilliant at thieving, OH dont forget they are great at Bench Surfing :p

Papillons are great at Problem solving :D

We have these two breeds & they certainly keeps us on our toes

Hmm my dobe is the same in that it's like he doesn't even hear other people, and at our old training club in sydney, the trainer couldn't get him to do anything. He just kept trying to move around her so he could still see me and wajust became obstinate. He will work for me though regardless of whether I have food or toys (although I'd be lying if I said I don't get better results when I do have something). He will start to protest if you ask him to do something he doesn't want to though. Not badly, just whines and carries on a bit if you let him (we find it funny, but always make sure any command issued is followed through). I almost think he knows what he's doing and he likes to entertain/be a bit of a clown sometimes.

Speaking of smart though, one thing that I thought was pretty cool is that if he's looking at me and I smile, his tail starts wagging. If I frown, his ears and eyes dip and he looks scared/sad/sorry lol.

Hmm, GRs are up pretty high. I must have a dud. :eek:

Honey is so purdy, but, bless her, she's a bimbo. ;)

Me too, Im disappointed that JRTs arent on there, mine is too smart for her own good!!!

Having now seen so many JRT's along with my own, one "Master of the Universe" and one "average", I can't understand why they aren't at the top of the list, along with Shelties, who should also be much higher than the list from the OP. Chi's also should be up there.

I think some of the smarter dogs are a bit like cats, suit themselves sometimes, still trainable up to a point.

They can't be at the top of the list because Border Collies are :D :D :p

Here Here I agree Poodlefan, :eek: Whippys are brilliant at thieving

Hmm, it seems my canine crime ring needs to recruit some Whippets!

My GSD can open windows, and smash them if they don't open. She even used the big old key which we'd foolishly left in the back door once. I'm thinking she can do the breaking, the Whippets can do the entering.

Then if the cops come, she can flee the scene and leave the little guys to plead innocence :D

Here Here I agree Poodlefan, :laugh: Whippys are brilliant at thieving

Hmm, it seems my canine crime ring needs to recruit some Whippets!

My GSD can open windows, and smash them if they don't open. She even used the big old key which we'd foolishly left in the back door once. I'm thinking she can do the breaking, the Whippets can do the entering.

Then if the cops come, she can flee the scene and leave the little guys to plead innocence :shrug:

:laugh::rofl: Definately Partners in Crime, A lot of pleading to be done not just to the cops but to mum & dad who are Security Guards :D

Hmm, GRs are up pretty high. I must have a dud. :laugh:

Honey is so purdy, but, bless her, she's a bimbo. :D

Me too, Im disappointed that JRTs arent on there, mine is too smart for her own good!!!

Having now seen so many JRT's along with my own, one "Master of the Universe" and one "average", I can't understand why they aren't at the top of the list, along with Shelties, who should also be much higher than the list from the OP. Chi's also should be up there.

I think some of the smarter dogs are a bit like cats, suit themselves sometimes, still trainable up to a point.

They can't be at the top of the list because Border Collies are :) :) :confused:

I'm sure the BC's are at that.

The notion of a comparison of herding dogs, against earth dogs, then retrievers, for example, can result in raising more questions than it answers.

Herders will co-operate and obey their human's commands, and along with high energy and natural instinct get the job done.

Earth dogs such as JRT's are often transported to the "set" and then let loose. Their instinct takes over and they co-operate with each other to extraordinary levels to invade the burrows and route the quarry. I find that terriers do have a very noticeable body language, (sometimes fast and subtle to the human eye), between themselves, that is not shared by most other dogs.

Then if the cops come, she can flee the scene and leave the little guys to plead innocence :laugh:

Hate to break it to you but the Whippets would be long gone, leaving her to face the music. :)

They weren't poacher's dogs of choice for no reason.

Edited by poodlefan

Just thought I'd let you guys know that last night I was outside with Max and Jenna and when I went to walk in the back door (it is a sliding glass door) and I turnhed around and asked them to stay and I walked off. Jenna (who I have NEVER asked to stay at the back door before) didnt move, she sat and waited for me to come back. I am SOOO impressed with her because I have never actually properly TAUGHT her stay - I have always just said stay when I've gone to go upstairs or something and if she ever moved I would walk back down and tell her to stay again.

I should note Max also stayed at the backdoor - but he would stay there and not come in for hours if I didnt come back - OR hed think I wasnt coming back and he would let himself in. lol

I would like to think my lab is pretty smart :)

She learnt to open her puppy pen at 8 weeks. She can open doors in our house (we have push down handles, not knobs), which she taught herself to do. A bit problematic and embarrassing when you're on the loo :laugh:

I would like to think my lab is pretty smart :)

She learnt to open her puppy pen at 8 weeks. She can open doors in our house (we have push down handles, not knobs), which she taught herself to do. A bit problematic and embarrassing when you're on the loo :laugh:

Haha my dobe is exactly the same! For some reason he is always desperate to accompany us into the bathroom. We actually had a cat who did the same thing with the door handles - except he used to have to jump and it typically took him several goes to get it open.

My dog freaked me out the other day, because I was trying to finish responding to some emails on my computer and he wanted to go for a walk. I was talking to him in a normal voice more quickly than what I would if I were actually talking to him, not issuing any commands or anything and not even looking at him, but I said, well we can't go for a walk because you don't even have your collar on - or something like that (basically I was trying to make myself feel better about making him wait for a walk). Well I continued with my emails, so absorbed I didn't even notice he'd left my side, but next thing he was back, dropped his collar at my feet and put his paw on my lap. He got his walk.

Every now and then he just responds to a sentence or something that we've never taught him and it's just like well ok you speak english then...

To add to my sheltie story about the paper to wee on....

One of my girls really hates being brushed with the stipple brush (sp). I accidentally left the grooming bag open. She sniffed through it, found the offending brush (which was not in plain sight) and removed it from the bag and tried to hide it under a blanket in her crate.

Problem solving skills or not? I have no idea, but would instinctively say yes.

Then if the cops come, she can flee the scene and leave the little guys to plead innocence :D

Hate to break it to you but the Whippets would be long gone, leaving her to face the music. :)

They weren't poacher's dogs of choice for no reason.

:( UUMMM sorry Aidan2, I will agree with you Poodlefan the Whippy's would be long gone, :) to leave the poor GSD's to explain or should I say grovel :laugh:

Whippet being built for speed know when to split the scene of the crime, so they dont get caught. The poachers had the right idea back in the old country. :laugh:

Not sure I'd agree, even, with this as a list of trainability. Trainability to do what. If it's retrieving shot game, the retrievers are up there. If it's herding, they go to the bottom of the list . . . . born sheep scatterers. If it's going to ground, give me a terrier of some sort.

Not sure I'd agree, even, with this as a list of trainability. Trainability to do what. If it's retrieving shot game, the retrievers are up there. If it's herding, they go to the bottom of the list . . . . born sheep scatterers. If it's going to ground, give me a terrier of some sort.

I'd say it has to do with trainability for obedience/service dog roles.

Perhaps eagerness to please handler as well.