Cesar Milan Kicking Dogs?

Leelaa17

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be reading with interest.

I didn't watch the whole clip, but from what I did see, I wouldn't label what he did 'kicking', I didn't see any implied force being used, merely a pushing/light tap with the foot (which he also says is what he's doing). I'm not saying I agree with what he's doing, merely stating I wouldn't call it a kick...

There's been a long thread on this here really recently, hopefully someone will know how to find it for you because I don't. :)

haha - thought about replying with this

I then thought about finding the thread and linking

I then thought I'm a lazy barsteward, oh bugger it someone else will :)

I've kicked a dog - not a good boot but definitely a kick - when he needed immediate intervention in it's behaviour that was threatening other animals.

I suppose it begs the question - do you smack a child?

Everyone's got their own way and every situation can make even the calmest people react to immediately effect an end to an unwanted situation. so long as it's not overboard, i dont see that it's a method that is absolutely sinful. Should be avoided but sometimes a foot is the closet disciplinary tool.

Edited by amy_h

I am sure someone will dig up the last thread- the links in the old thread were not working though so many people had not seen the video.

Watch the whole video.

There is a difference between using a kick in a situation where you are surprised and immediate behaviour suppression is required, and regularly using this as a training technique after taking dogs way over threshold. Just my opinion, i'm sure others will have theirs.

ETA Its clear that the video is propaganda to suit a purpose so i personally ignored the comments, slow motion replays and assumptions. But i did watch the dogs.

Edited by Cosmolo

I've seen him use this technique in a few episodes. Fundamentally I have no problem with most of his methods but in saying that there is no way in the the world that I would ever let him anywhere near my own dogs.

I've seen him use this technique in a few episodes. Fundamentally I have no problem with most of his methods but in saying that there is no way in the the world that I would ever let him anywhere near my own dogs.

how come?

just wondering why?

just wondering why?

I don't think that his training methods are right for my dogs.

Is he kicking the dog? No

Do I believe this is an effective way to deal with DA? No. It isn't making the dog any less fearful of what it is seeing. It isn't teaching the dog alternative behaviour (ie what they should do instead of react).

A far less dramatic, but far more effective and easy to teach method would be the "look at that". But then you can't look tough doing it!

ETA: In fact, if you have a sensitive dog, they could become conditioned: "I see another dog/person and a bad thing happens to me. Therefore dogs/people are bad". Dangerous formula.

Edited by megan_

Do you know what really, really annoys me? dog owners who wont admit their emotions have gotten the better of them at some point adn they have actually physically disciplined a dog. I think it would be but e very saintly blessed few who haven't bopped their dog on the nose for nipping, or even as simple as imposing yourself in their space. Sorry but i do't believe anyone is that perfect.

I dont condone it, but i dont believe there is not a single person out there that hasn't made an aggressive gesture or physical contact or even shouted at their dog.

I haven't seen the clip (my internet doesnt allow me videos) but, im just being realistic. Everyone is so quick on this forum to get on their podium and preach! I'll openly admit i'm human and i have kicked a dog. I've also smacked them on the nose. and my dogs are generally well behaved dogs.

I will say now, that the dog that got booted (several times for inappropriate dangerous behaviour) doesn't misbehave anymore. I didn't like doing it, at all, call me heavy handed, whatever you like. I'm just saying somemtimes situations, stronger discipline is needed adn id rather cop a bite to my foot than my hand or face. When i booted him he immediately paid attention TO ME - so in that regard it was effective because i wanted to distract him from the situation he was in.

Guess its just horses for courses and who's realistic about admitting how they have disciplined their pooches

you know what really annoys me? When someone implies that everyone is being sanctimonious and no one is :-).

No one is saying the tap is abuse. Plenty of people say it isn't a very effective way of dealing with aggression.

Doesn't look at all like kicking to me... I do worse to my doberman when I'm patting him (and no, he's never in pain).

Same.

One of my greyhounds loves (fairly rough) slaps to his lower back and thighs and will keep coming back for more until he gets told to go away (and it'd certainly be rougher than the "kicks" Cesar Milan dishes out). Kind of like all the cat paddling videos on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FPghV3YFK8

Edited to add..

It's a lot about the context of the hit and where it's placed, I suppose. If I were to tap Kiff on the nose (even quite softly), he'd be very upset. Or.. if I were to raise my voice and then try to tap his back end- different context, totally different response to it.

Re-edited to add..

The video linked up there is totally innocent but some of the "suggested videos", not so much. So.. possibly NSFW.

Edited by Hardy's Angel