Wrinkly Dogs Get Nip And Tuck

Steve

I have always believed it open (public access and avialable) databases for heatlh test results. For the life of me I do not know why all purebred dogs registries do not offer this information to the public (which would include other breeders). So Ihope the idea is to make this public and useful for everyone.

BTW what every happened to the health survey that anyone could report medical information to. I have not heard any reuslts, have I missed the results or is the information not avialable to the public?

The health survey is still open and information is collected every day.

Will there ever be a report that we can read? and if so when?

As a breeder how do I find out about what it says about my breed?

Yes there will be a report and when is variable depending on breed - we discuss various issues with some of our breeders to help them to assess any potential risk factors in their breeding programs and we have a private breeders forum which can be used to do that.

In the short term at least the information from the health surveys will only be available to our members.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most breeds here in Australia we need to start importing more genetics. We're too isolated here and many breeds are showing the effects of it. If not dogs then at least semen on a more regular basis.

No not necessarily - there has been a big deal made about in breeding and small gene pools but in this particular set of problems its about selection.

There isnt any symptom going on in the breed as a whole which tells us its about things normally associated with signs of in breeding depressions.

Professor Clare Wade who has done the stats on in breeding via ANKC pedigrees tells me there is a much bigger problem caused by selection than there is with close breedings.

Not much point in bringing in more if it has the same problems and if we keep selecting for the same priorities it wont matter where the genetics come from or how closely they are related.

I have always believed it open (public access and avialable) databases for heatlh test results. For the life of me I do not know why all purebred dogs registries do not offer this information to the public (which would include other breeders). So Ihope the idea is to make this public and useful for everyone.

BTW what every happened to the health survey that anyone could report medical information to. I have not heard any reuslts, have I missed the results or is the information not avialable to the public?

Yes there will be a report and when is variable depending on breed - we discuss various issues with some of our breeders to help them to assess any potential risk factors in their breeding programs and we have a private breeders forum which can be used to do that.

In the short term at least the information from the health surveys will only be available to our members.

The fact that the information would only be available to members was not stated when we all took the time to participate in the survey. If I had known that I wouldn't have bothered. :)

On the day of the article in the Advertiser in Adelaide a 10 week old shar pei bitch puppy was advertised on Gumtree as a giveaway stating she needed entropian surgery. I can imagine the amount of people wanting a free roly puppy, the ad was gone by that night so she must have gone quickly - very sad but at least the surgery was mentioned and that the owner said she required treatment but people can say anything if they want something badly enough

"Date Listed 18/04/2011

Price Free

Address ............., Australia

Offered By Owner

i have a female shar-pei pup,she has a beautiful nature but has a common problem with the breed and that is Called Entropion she will most probably need to have her eyelid lifted on one eye,it doesnt need to be done straight away but in the near future,she is very wrinkly and cute 10 weeks old.any questions call me on PH;.............. to good home only and be prepared to give her the treatment that she may need. "

The fact that the information would only be available to members was not stated when we all took the time to participate in the survey. If I had known that I wouldn't have bothered. :thumbsup:

I didnt say the information would only be available to members

I said in the short term the information it would only be available to members.

There is a variety of reasons why that is the case including the fact that the surveys are still open and the information is a mile off being prepared and ready for any sort of public release.There are almost 200 surveys and there is a hell of a lot of work involved for people who are much smarter than me to get each breed to even a hint of a public release. Do you really want us to release this info to the public which may have a detrimental impact on the public perception of a breed without some heavy duty consideration to the consequences and what may have impacted on the results being able to be included?

If the surgery is required to preserve vision, I wouldn't call it "cosmetic".

Please remember the rules for show dogs prohibit exhibition of dogs who have had "cosmetic" surgery.

the bolded bit. just because something is not allowed under the rules does not mean it doesn't occur

Agree, I have personally witnessed entropian surgeries on show dogs who have gone on to continue being exhibited.

Edited by sandgrubber

Years ago I remember hearing that the breed was becoming more wrinkled, because people wanted the wrinkles to last forever. 10 years ago, the breed would 'grow' into the wrinkles which in my opinion made the breed a lot more attractive.

It's a pity that dogs suffer because of fashion.

Is that why they refer to the dogs as a 'designer' breed?

I was at first wondering why the story referred to them as "Designer Dogs" but you are right...the trend to breed excesses of a type/characteristic is very much a "DD' thing regardless of the purebred status.

This pandering to 'fashion' only adds to the "bad press" for Purebred dogs.