Deaf Dogs And Puppies

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lady at my agility club who has a deaf JRT. She has put alot of work into her and always has the dogs focus. She works great to hand signals... she just has to make sure that she always positions herself where the dog can see her on the course. It's a pleasant change to see her on the course, as other owners are barking commands at their dogs around the course, these two are so quiet and peaceful out there.

MizJ has done amazing things with her rescued deaf white boxer. I met him on the weekend and he is a beautiful, well adjusted dog who responds to hand commands. I know MizJ put a mountain of work and research into this boy. Will PM her and let her know about your post :thumbsup:

I had a deaf cattle dog girl. She was really easy to have around and learnt many hand signals. Competed in agility and the deafness was never an issue. All the agility photos I have of her every one she is always maintaining eye contact with me.

She ran off lead at the dog park with other dogs with no issues. My other dog had to learn to communicate with more displays rather than vocal. She was always piggy with food and would hassle him for his bone. At first he would have a grumble at her and she would keep approaching. After a few weeks I noticed that he wouldnt bother growling at her but would go straight to a toothy smile instead.

I do believe I had it easy though as he minded her a lot. Would nudge her instead of vocalizing, and off lead she had myself and him to get cues from. The best thing I ever did was take her to a quiet area and teach her to constantly 'check in' with me, so when off lead she would check to see where I was often.

I have heard that deafness is absolutely no issue and shouldnt be taken into account if considering getting a dog... My dogs have learnt both speech commands and hand signals and they respond very well to both. To make them sit I raise my hand and say nothing, they'll sit immediately. To make them drop I tap the ground and they drop immediately. To make them eat I tap the bowl and they start eating again. Sometimes I think hand signals work BETTER than speech! LOL

I have two very OLD dogs that are deaf and blind - but they know the families movements and what times we do everything so they're pretty easy to control.

why did you want to know about deaf dogs or puppies?

PS. And it doesnt mean they arent any less intelligent than a non-deaf dog... or any less affectionate. They are completely the same except they cant hear. That's it :thumbsup: No big deal for doggies.

I have heard that deafness is absolutely no issue and shouldnt be taken into account if considering getting a dog... My dogs have learnt both speech commands and hand signals and they respond very well to both. To make them sit I raise my hand and say nothing, they'll sit immediately. To make them drop I tap the ground and they drop immediately. To make them eat I tap the bowl and they start eating again. Sometimes I think hand signals work BETTER than speech! LOL

I have two very OLD dogs that are deaf and blind - but they know the families movements and what times we do everything so they're pretty easy to control.

why did you want to know about deaf dogs or puppies?

PS. And it doesnt mean they arent any less intelligent than a non-deaf dog... or any less affectionate. They are completely the same except they cant hear. That's it :thumbsup: No big deal for doggies.

I should probably note that the two dogs I was talking about with the hand signals are my two GSD - the two old ones I was talkiong about are two other dogs. lol

Deaf puppies I know are better than non deaf dogs. At least, they don't pretend they can't hear you...

Charlie in the morning decides that he has gone deaf when I tell him to get out of bed.

LOL it must be a Cav thing because my sisters dogs are both cavs and do the same thing - and my two OLD dogs (one passed away) they are both cavs and... again... same thing. LOL

There are things to consider with deafness, such as the fact you can not recall the dog at any time. If the dog is baout to head into danger, you must be within eye shot or reach to prevent accidents.

I have also found that deaf dogs (and blind ones) respond really well with being with other dogs. They use the other dogs for cues and this can also help keep them safe and happy.

There are things to consider with deafness, such as the fact you can not recall the dog at any time. If the dog is baout to head into danger, you must be within eye shot or reach to prevent accidents.

I have also found that deaf dogs (and blind ones) respond really well with being with other dogs. They use the other dogs for cues and this can also help keep them safe and happy.

I agree with this. There are many deaf dogs living great lives - but it takes a lot of commitment from the owner. The thing I'd worry about most is recall (but it can be trained). Sure the dog can read hand signals, but they need to be looking at you to see them. If they're focusing on the new dog that has just come into the park, that can be hard!

I find it odd that some people say it shouldn't be taken into account when looking for a dog??

Fantastic advice! I have noticed that with my old dog (passed away) - he could only see shadows and couldnt hear a thing - but when he saw movement and realised it was another dog then he would follow them to go out the back door.

Thanks Yellowgirl

Hi Collielover1979, as yellow girl said we have a deaf boxer. He has been with us for about 8 months. Oliver is just 3 years old. We also have 2 other boxers Gabby & Henry who are not deaf.

This is our first experience with a deaf dog and it is quite a wake up call in how you communicate with your dog. Honestly we talk too much! Dogs dont need all that chat. They are experts in noticing changes in your facial expression, body language etc.

I differ in oinion that it doesnt make a difference to the dog, I really think it does. There are things that need to be rembered and I am speaking from personal experience with Oliver. He cant hear you approach from behind so startling can happen and if there are children in the house this must be made crystal clear to them. If you have floorboards it isnt such a drama because he can feel the vibration. Waking him from sleep has to be controlled. We didnt wake Oliver at first, we let him do this himself, then gradually we were able to move the bed a little, then use food now we can touch him to wake him. We just had to think about his silent world and those things that attract a hearing dogs attention dont matter to Oliver so we have had to work around that.

We have taught him to keep checking in with us, he comes to us when he wants something. Food motivated fortunately.

He has a structured sign language and all he needs at are about 10 signs, the rest he gets from our facial expression or body language. More will come as we go along with his training and as he needs.

We have all been to a delta program and he was amazing, didnt like the agility but hes just that sort of dog. He uses our other dogs as his ears, particulary Henry. He watches Henry and will sleep close to him and if Henry moves he does to.

He really has made us look at how we communicate with our dogs and have found that our own respond as well to the signing and to our body language.

Love to chat about other peoples experiences and get more helpful hints

Just read more about the recall and totally agree, we are looking at getting a vibrating collar for him, all we need to do is get his attention and thats not easy outside. We cant let him off lead in suburbia, even in a park at this stage but will work on that. It takes a lot of commitment and please dont feel sorry for the dog and use that as a motive to get a deaf dog, they are quite a lot of work.

Edited by Miz J

I agree with this. There are many deaf dogs living great lives - but it takes a lot of commitment from the owner. The thing I'd worry about most is recall (but it can be trained). Sure the dog can read hand signals, but they need to be looking at you to see them. If they're focusing on the new dog that has just come into the park, that can be hard!

I find it odd that some people say it shouldn't be taken into account when looking for a dog??

I meant in the sense that when you are looking for a dog and then someone says 'oh they're deaf' dont just go - oh ok don't want it then.

That's what I meant. Not necessarily that it shouldnt be considered but that it shouldn;t be the deciding factor (unless it wont fit into your lifestyle or unless you dont have the means to care for it properly).

Thanks for your responses, im picking up my french bulldog puppy on the 1st of May and the breeder said that he is showing signs of deafness. He is healthy in every other way so i didnt want to not take him just because he cant hear. I have read up heaps on hand signals and i know it wont be easy. I do have a rough collie that is well trained. Miz J how long did it take for him to learn hand signals?

I was thinking of getting a hearing test done because i spoke to his breeder today and she said he sometimes does look at her when she calls him so i dont know if its partial deafness or not?

I agree, having another dog really helps. The pup should have been to the vet so get a report from them and perhaps some advice. Your getting a pup so get onto training pretty much straight away. Oliver came to us as a rescue at 2 1/2 and had some pretty bad habits and fear issues. Food is high value for him, it doesnt take him long to learn anything new at all. We had a basic sign language in place within 6 to 8 weeks. Hes a resourceful dog, can open lever handled doors to let himself out ( not great for us, lucky he doesnt close them quietly!!) Find a great behavoiurist/obedience instructor in your area, I am sure someone will advise you and get straight onto it. With Oliver, we find if we slack off just a bit hes onto it and being resourceful he can make the most of it.

thats what i thought yellowgirl but she didnt do it. He will be 12 weeks old when he comes here so i have some things im going to start him off on. I will contact willows trainer and see what she says.

Im going to get his hearing test done so at least i know for sure and how deaf he is.

Hmmm, how odd. Not being a breeder I'm not sure how far a breeder's responsibility stretches in that situation. I do know that if it was my litter and I thought one of my pups was deaf, blind, had a heart murmer or whatever, I'd definitely be getting it thoroughly checked and researched first so I knew that the new owner had all the information they need before taking the pup home.

Not having a go at your breeder, just my take on the situation :laugh:

French Bulldogs are adorable! All the best with your little guy, sounds like he'll be lucky to have you :laugh: