Deaf Dogs And Puppies

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lady I work with has a deaf Border Collie who is beautifully trained. He's on his way to a tracking title. :confused:

She has another BC, and that helps her with the recall issue... When Rosie responds to a recall, Geordie does too. Lots of time and patience has gone into his training though, and on many occasions my colleague has had to try unusual methods with Geordie to get the results she wants.

If you ever need some support or ideas, PM me and I can put you on to my friend (who also volunteers as an obedience instructor).

There are things to consider with deafness, such as the fact you can not recall the dog at any time. If the dog is baout to head into danger, you must be within eye shot or reach to prevent accidents.

I have also found that deaf dogs (and blind ones) respond really well with being with other dogs. They use the other dogs for cues and this can also help keep them safe and happy.

I agree with this. There are many deaf dogs living great lives - but it takes a lot of commitment from the owner. The thing I'd worry about most is recall (but it can be trained). Sure the dog can read hand signals, but they need to be looking at you to see them. If they're focusing on the new dog that has just come into the park, that can be hard!

I find it odd that some people say it shouldn't be taken into account when looking for a dog??

I meant in the sense that when you are looking for a dog and then someone says 'oh they're deaf' dont just go - oh ok don't want it then.

That's what I meant. Not necessarily that it shouldnt be considered but that it shouldn;t be the deciding factor (unless it wont fit into your lifestyle or unless you dont have the means to care for it properly).

And also the comment about a deaf dog "not fitting into your lifestyle". Also just a nonsense thing to say. You dont get a dog for lifestyle reasons in my humble opinion. YES, you did nail the comment about not getting a deaf dog if you dont have the means to look after it. They are a lot of work and there are a lot of issues that need to be considered

There are things to consider with deafness, such as the fact you can not recall the dog at any time. If the dog is baout to head into danger, you must be within eye shot or reach to prevent accidents.

I have also found that deaf dogs (and blind ones) respond really well with being with other dogs. They use the other dogs for cues and this can also help keep them safe and happy.

I agree with this. There are many deaf dogs living great lives - but it takes a lot of commitment from the owner. The thing I'd worry about most is recall (but it can be trained). Sure the dog can read hand signals, but they need to be looking at you to see them. If they're focusing on the new dog that has just come into the park, that can be hard!

I find it odd that some people say it shouldn't be taken into account when looking for a dog??

Advised by my vet, and considering many people are not willing to put the time in to training their new puppy I would PTS any pup I bred that was 100% deaf.

If they get out of a property they cannot hear vehicles (owner of dog is liable for vehicle damage) and other possibles along these lines.

Thankfully, thus far and touching wood..I have never needed to make that decision.

My Mum adopted a deaf SBT cross years ago from Monika's doggie rescue. She was was a great family pet, though we had a whippet boy as a companion for her and he acted like her ears.

The foster carer she stayed with before we adopted her had been doing hand signals with her and we continued that and it worked great. We didn't do any type of dog sports or anything with her, though her foster carer had a deaf cattle dog that she did agility with and he would often out-do the hearing competitors ;)

Advised by my vet, and considering many people are not willing to put the time in to training their new puppy I would PTS any pup I bred that was 100% deaf.

If they get out of a property they cannot hear vehicles (owner of dog is liable for vehicle damage) and other possibles along these lines.

Thankfully, thus far and touching wood..I have never needed to make that decision.

And putting to sleep any pup just because it is deaf is another ignorant thing to do. Ive been a breeder and I just abhor that some breeders out there take this stance.

YES, you might be picking this topic is a touchy one for me. Fair bloody dinkum this thread has some ignorant opinions and comments.

A deaf puppy can live a bloody good life. I think you should TAKE THE TROUBLE to find somebody who WILL put the time and training in. THEY ARE OUT THERE..!!! Just open your eyes and get rid of the 'gotta kill a pup thats not perfect' mentality.

Your bred the bloody pup. Put the bloody needle or the gun away and take some responsibility.

Phhftt.

Edited by Bull Terr(ific)

My Mum adopted a deaf SBT cross years ago from Monika's doggie rescue. She was was a great family pet, though we had a whippet boy as a companion for her and he acted like her ears.

The foster carer she stayed with before we adopted her had been doing hand signals with her and we continued that and it worked great. We didn't do any type of dog sports or anything with her, though her foster carer had a deaf cattle dog that she did agility with and he would often out-do the hearing competitors :rofl:

AND WHAT A GREAT STORY..!!!!!! ;)

And speaking of deaf puppies (we bred two) - now that you've got me all wound up - this is my fave picture of one that a lovely couple in Qld took on. Her name is Nina and here she is asleep on top of her Stafford 'brother' Jeff. Love this pic and what a clever girl this one was.

Unfortunately no longer with us as a snake got to both of them ;)

Nina___Jeff.jpg

Deaf puppies and dogs CAN live loving and fulfilling lives.

And speaking of deaf puppies (we bred two) - now that you've got me all wound up - this is my fave picture of one that a lovely couple in Qld took on. Her name is Nina and here she is asleep on top of her Stafford 'brother' Jeff. Love this pic and what a clever girl this one was.

Unfortunately no longer with us as a snake got to both of them :thumbsup:

Nina___Jeff.jpg

Deaf puppies and dogs CAN live loving and fulfilling lives.

:thumbsup: Sad, it was a brown snake that got my gorgeous Gwen. Would have she heard it if she had hearing? Probably, but she had the most wonderful life, agility, horseback riding, swimming at the beach. She learnt well over 20 hand signals. She just fitted into life and was never any drama. People at the dog park never knew most of the time.

For someone willing, some dog sense and a fair dose of common sense a deaf dog is no drama at all.

We always did joke though that a deaf ACD was easier than a dog with less sense of self preservation

I have rescued and rehomed a number of deaf dogs - a couple of ACDs, a labrador and a staffy mix. All but the lab were congenitally deaf, the lab aquired her deafness through a neglected chronic health condition. All were relatively easy to train with hand signals - much more focussed than hearing dogs as they wernt distracted by sounds. The biggest challenge is getting their attention - and recall falls under that. But there are many ways to get a dogs attention, that dont involve sound. Each deaf dog was adopted into a home with another dog and I think that helps the deaf one to twig to the things they cant perceive with their other senses. Without exception, the owners have been very happy with their adopted deaf dogs and have found managing them well within their skill range. It did take a bit more time to find appropriate homes for these dogs but I would not condone killing puppies for being deaf, or choosing not to rescue otherwise nice dogs off death row, just becasue they are deaf. It is not an insurmountable problem by any stretch.

And also the comment about a deaf dog "not fitting into your lifestyle". Also just a nonsense thing to say. You dont get a dog for lifestyle reasons in my humble opinion. YES, you did nail the comment about not getting a deaf dog if you dont have the means to look after it. They are a lot of work and there are a lot of issues that need to be considered

Of course you get a dog to fit in with your lifestyle. If someone runs 5ks a day it would be foolish to expect a little laid back dog to be an exercise companion. Likewise people who are fairly sedentary and a stroll around the block is all they're up for don't need a hyper dog that needs to run for hours to work off excess energy.

I have a deaf dog. Her deafness is evidently hereditary. She's not a lot of work. She's a lovely affectionate girl who takes her cue from her hearing companion. I'm not silly enough to let her off lead outside of my property. She doesn't need to be off lead and I don't place her in unsafe situations.

Apart from her lack of recall which means the off leash park is out, there are no difficulties. She knows our routine and knows what's expected of her. She has the full length of a 5ft lead on walks so she can sniff and investigate bushes. At the kerb she runs behind me and sits at heel watching my left leg until I step out. She'll sit for however long it takes without moving until I move.

You dont get a dog for lifestyle reasons in my humble opinion.

Of course you get a dog to fit in with your lifestyle. If someone runs 5ks a day it would be foolish to expect a little laid back dog to be an exercise companion. Likewise people who are fairly sedentary and a stroll around the block is all they're up for don't need a hyper dog that needs to run for hours to work off excess energy.

My quote in red and your response in red. Never said that you dont get a dog to fit in with your lifestyle. Of course when you get a dog you need to consider that. I said you dont get a dog for LIFESTYLE REASONS. If you are thinking about getting a dog its not for the reason of it being an "accessory" for when you go on a 5km run every day. Christ... :)

I have rescued and rehomed a number of deaf dogs - a couple of ACDs, a labrador and a staffy mix. All but the lab were congenitally deaf, the lab aquired her deafness through a neglected chronic health condition. All were relatively easy to train with hand signals - much more focussed than hearing dogs as they wernt distracted by sounds. The biggest challenge is getting their attention - and recall falls under that. But there are many ways to get a dogs attention, that dont involve sound. Each deaf dog was adopted into a home with another dog and I think that helps the deaf one to twig to the things they cant perceive with their other senses. Without exception, the owners have been very happy with their adopted deaf dogs and have found managing them well within their skill range. It did take a bit more time to find appropriate homes for these dogs but I would not condone killing puppies for being deaf, or choosing not to rescue otherwise nice dogs off death row, just becasue they are deaf. It is not an insurmountable problem by any stretch.

Bravo. :)

I wish I could show you guys an old thread off another forum that got quite heated in relation to deaf puppies. It shits me to bloody death that some breeders treat their deaf pups as commodities and are prepared to knock em on the head the moment they find out they can't hear. Theres a number of them reading this thread too, I bet.

CL1979 I wouldn't be put off by your new puppies deafness (complete or partial) assuming you are willing to put to put the time, energy and training into him - and its so rewarding.

My mac is at least partially deaf, acquired 18 months ago - and IMO his behaviour suggests he is almost completely deaf - you can see him cue off the other two westies all the time. I let Mac off the leash at the westie clan gatherings - 15 westies last Sunday - and he did brilliantly and was happy as larry - although I was careful not to let him out of my sight. In my case it was hearing loss or a life of continuing pain - I chose the hearing loss and he's done brilliantly.

So not quite the same situation as yours - but I think yours is completely manageable and if you train the puppy well, he will bring you a great deal of joy, brownie points and insight into another really important aspect of dog ownership.

Hope that helps.

Exactly. Well said KKDD.

My hot tip for managing a deaf dog - put a bell on its collar. There will be many times that you cant see your deaf dog to attract its attention, a bell will help you find it in the backyard.

Also, a big benefit of deaf dogs is that they don't bark at noises in the night. They sleep like the dead. I love that.

There are some really excellent resources on the web for training and managing a deaf dog. Just google 'training deaf dogs'.

I have Annabel, 7 month old deaf Staffy x Boxer staying with me at the moment. Prior to her, it was Shelly a 5 month old deaf Staffy x Bully.

Initially I put bells on thier collars so I did not need to keep going and checking on them if I couldnt see them.

Shelly was VERY easy to train, all done with hand signals. She was like a little soldier by the time she got adopted.

Annabel has been a little harder, only because she was a bit older when I got her and already had so many bad behaviours to change. (plus being a crazy, high energy happy natured dog)

I conditioned both those dogs to a thumbs up (good dog) thumbs down (ahh- ahh) hand signals and found that to be very effective.

The other thing I taught both dogs was to keep checking in with me.

Every deaf dog or puppy I have ever met have been big barkers. Like any other dog though it is fixable through training.

Edited by spyda62

Interesting comment spyda62. All the deaf dogs Iv trained have been non-barkers - which was particularly suprising with the cattledogs as they can be a very vocal breed. I like your thumbs up approach. I use strong facial expressions for 'good' and 'bad' and they really seemed to get it.

With regard to training them to check in regularly, this is one of the most challenging things, but fundamental to all subsequent training. I used a pocketful of dry cat kibble, which I would initially deal out every time the dog checked in, decreasing the food reward frequency and replacing it with a happy face reward, over time. Dry cat food is highly motivating so the checking in came reasonably quickly, especially if you start out in a low distraction environment, and work up to high distraction.

What method did you use to train 'checking in' spyda62?

Interesting comment spyda62. All the deaf dogs Iv trained have been non-barkers - which was particularly suprising with the cattledogs as they can be a very vocal breed. I like your thumbs up approach. I use strong facial expressions for 'good' and 'bad' and they really seemed to get it.

With regard to training them to check in regularly, this is one of the most challenging things, but fundamental to all subsequent training. I used a pocketful of dry cat kibble, which I would initially deal out every time the dog checked in, decreasing the food reward frequency and replacing it with a happy face reward, over time. Dry cat food is highly motivating so the checking in came reasonably quickly, especially if you start out in a low distraction environment, and work up to high distraction.

What method did you use to train 'checking in' spyda62?.quote]

I use the same method as you do KKDD for checking in. I Start out with high value food reward every time they check in then gradually phased it out. (still get one every now and then to keep them keen).

I have 3 dogs of my own that are big on "checking in" so that also helps because they learn off them.

Edited by spyda62