Parvo Questions For Breeders....

Merrirose

Hi All,

Just wondering what your policies are in regards to when you have a litter at home and/or a partially vacc'd pup and are taking other dogs to shows ect or even just off the property? I usually toilet all of my dogs in the same area and they all have out time together all day and was wondering how careful you have to be. I have become quite paranoid after having a litter and I am trying to keep everything separate except the show dog goes in the car then the bitch and litter need to go in the car... so its getting to be quite stressful.

How does everyone else manage this and how paranoid/careful are you?

Thanks in advance.

I don't do that many shows so that is rarely a problem but I do work in a veterinary clinic and I am very paranoid about that. I have spare shoes in the car, strip off in the laundry, throw work clothes in the washing machine and shower prior to going anywhere near the puppies, ( and that is when we don't have any isolation patients ).

If we have a parvo case in hospital the rest of the staff are very understanding and have never asked me for assistance with dogs in Isolation when they know that I have puppies or even if I have puppies due.

I feel your pain Merrirose!!

I have done shows every weekend in April and had the litter... I had hubby at home to take care of the kids while I was gone. Basically what I did was take shoes off before walking through the door, sprayed them completely with disinfectant and didn't wear them in the house (although they stayed in the kitchen area), stripped off all of my clothes and put them straight in the wash then had a shower and washed my hair before going anywhere near the pups.

Apart from my grooming box and handbag anything from the show stays in my husbands car and bitch and pups go out in my car, although if I had to mix and match I'd probably just spray the car with disinfectant which is what I did with my grooming box and handbag.

I may be a bit anal though because this is my first litter :laugh:

I too am very very careful when we have puppies - we stop all walks or outings from the house from the time pups arrive till last pup goes - I may be paronoid but its just not worth the chance in my mind - we have 4 dogs at home and none of them leave the property till all pups are homed. Luckily we have a large yard for them and they cope well - but boy do they get excited when the walks start up again. I was told that parvo can live in the ground for over 2 years - so why take a chance on any of them bringing something home.

Also impress on the new owners not to take their pup out till after the final vaccination - you probaly know this already but its very important.

Nothing changes here, everything is carried on as normal.

Once the pups are vaccinated they can go to their new homes in 36 hours.

I have been interested in this as well...I have a litter and just because of the work involved in the litter have stopped showing for a little while, but have one dog that I think because she is not regularly going to shows at the moment really needs to be out amongst people and different environments and was wondering whether it is safe to take her walking in town (we live out of town on property). How much risk is there that she would bring parvo home? She is vaccinated of course.

Also My husband is a tradesman in a rural area and he goes all over the place. I do insist his shoes are left outside and away from the puppy area, but where do you draw the line. I am slightly confused over this issue. Mum of pups is fully vaccinated, but pups are not quite 2 weeks old.

Very interested in people's opinion on this topic.

I was pretty much normal when my bitch had pups. Once they got old enough to be handled I just asked people to sanitise their hands. My understanding of immunity is that the pups inherit through the mothers milk. Therefore a healthy bitch fed on good quality food and kept healthy should pass on good immunity to her pups.

My other dogs still get exercised or will go to a show if I have entered one but then the only dog that interacts with the pups for the first month minimum is the dam. The others can look if she isn't bothered but they don't have physical access to the pups.

I also have 2 school aged children so if I was so worried about the pups catching anything I probably wouldn't breed while my kids were younger cause they go all over the place!

I avoided showing, and still had my shoes, disinfected whenever I left the property or had anyone visit their shoes got sprayed too. But my OH is quite lax, and we can bring in stuff on our car tyres...the worry is endless. I believe that only bleach will kill the germs too..but I recall someone mentioning somthing else...I would like to be reminded :o

I avoided showing, and still had my shoes, disinfected whenever I left the property or had anyone visit their shoes got sprayed too. But my OH is quite lax, and we can bring in stuff on our car tyres...the worry is endless. I believe that only bleach will kill the germs too..but I recall someone mentioning somthing else...I would like to be reminded :o

Something called F10 also kills parvo though it is very expensive.

Thank you all for your replies.

I don't think so. It takes two weeks for the body to develop immunity and there is a process the body must go through to do this. No shortcuts, whiling it is going through this process the mothers immunity is compromised. That is why we vaccinate at 6 weeks and not home them till 8 weeks.

If I must :o , I shall dredge out my anatomy and physiology books and write a short essay in correct jargon (if my simple explanation is not to be believed :D

I don't think so. It takes two weeks for the body to develop immunity and there is a process the body must go through to do this. No shortcuts, whiling it is going through this process the mothers immunity is compromised. That is why we vaccinate at 6 weeks and not home them till 8 weeks.

If I must :o , I shall dredge out my anatomy and physiology books and write a short essay in correct jargon (if my simple explanation is not to be believed :D

I found out yesterday that Nobivac claim that their vac can cut through maternal antibodies so you give a c3 at 6 weeks and then the Nobivac c3 or c5 at 10 weeks and thats it for 12 months. Nobivac claim their 10 week vac works in 36 hours and you can take your pups out after this... the vet said 7 days to be safe.

I found out yesterday that Nobivac claim that their vac can cut through maternal antibodies so you give a c3 at 6 weeks and then the Nobivac c3 or c5 at 10 weeks and thats it for 12 months. Nobivac claim their 10 week vac works in 36 hours and you can take your pups out after this... the vet said 7 days to be safe.

OK..I dragged out the book. I personally would not risk my pups on a drug companies sales pitch. :)

Active immunity is produced when a individual is exposed to a foreign organism. This may be by natural exposure or via vaccine (induced active immunity).

The initial response of the body on first exposure to antigens is known as the Primary Response. After exposure to the antigen it normally takes about two weeks for the antibody levels to peak. During this time B cells are converted to plasma cells that secrete antibodies specific for the antigen. The antibody levels do not remain elevated for a long time. If the individual is exposed a second time to the antigen, the presence of memory cells stimulates rapid production of antibodies. In the secondary response, antibodies quickly reach peak levels and remain elevated for a longer time.

OK..I dragged out the book. I personally would not risk my pups on a drug companies sales pitch. :)

Active immunity is produced when a individual is exposed to a foreign organism. This may be by natural exposure or via vaccine (induced active immunity).

The initial response of the body on first exposure to antigens is known as the Primary Response. After exposure to the antigen it normally takes about two weeks for the antibody levels to peak. During this time B cells are converted to plasma cells that secrete antibodies specific for the antigen. The antibody levels do not remain elevated for a long time. If the individual is exposed a second time to the antigen, the presence of memory cells stimulates rapid production of antibodies. In the secondary response, antibodies quickly reach peak levels and remain elevated for a longer time.

OK..I dragged out the book. I personally would not risk my pups on a drug companies sales pitch. :o

OK..I dragged out the book. I personally would not risk my pups on a drug companies sales pitch. :D

The new Nobivac vaccine has a 36 hour turnaround.

As stated by the vet.

Thats what I got told too Oakway. I am glad there is a fast track vaccine course as I want to be out a showgrounds ect from 12 weeks and would like to be covered from before then if possible.

I am curious how they cut through maternal antibodies though and how you can have a 36 hour turnaround. The vac company obviously couldnt make this claim if it was not true and the vac has been around for about 4 years now (i think) so plenty long enough for complaints to filter in.

I also learnt that Protec have a vac called something like duramine that also cuts through maternal antibodies and it also is a 6-8 then 10-12 vac and your done for 12 months.

Ill probably titre at 14 weeks and again at 18 weeks just to see as this is my first time using the 10 week Nobivac and go from there.